Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it's Slitherine who made it "official".

Master of Magic enters the Slitherine catalogue!

Master of Magic is a classic, one of the most popular strategy games of the 90s, and it is now available on the Slitherine store

It is a 4X fantasy strategy game that allows you to play as an extremely powerful wizard, leading your troops and overcoming your magical opponents. After over 25 years, the game now receives the first official update with a significantly improved AI and more than 200 spells at your disposal. Dive back into time, relive this epic adventure and conquer Arcanus and Myrror once and for all!

This special release is accompanied by the Community Update, a free optional patch developed by fans for fans and greatly increasing the polish of Master of Magic with countless fixes.

Furthermore, Master of Magic is released alongside its first DLC, Caster of Magic. Caster of Magic started out as a mod, championed by Seravy and building on top of the already popular community patch. Caster of Magic has been a fan favorite of the Master of Magic community and we are pleased to be able to work with Seravy to officially integrate Caster of Magic, giving him the recognition he deserves.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://af.gog.com/news/gogs_updated_refund_policy_has_your_back_even_more?as=1649904300

GOG’S UPDATED REFUND POLICY HAS YOUR BACK (EVEN MORE)

Everyone at GOG believes in a 'gamers-first’ approach. It means that every part of our store is designed with gamers in mind and your purchase safety and satisfaction come first for us. The latest update to our voluntary Refund Policy adds another piece to this customer-friendly experience. And it all sums up in one sentence: starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it. That's it.

It’s important for us to say that this update is possible thanks to your respect for all the time and hard work put into creating the games you buy on GOG.COM and playing by the rules. We're grateful for that and encourage you to continue to do so.

For more details on how the change works, please check this FAQ article.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
That's insane. GOG's gonna turn into an abuse city. They were already making a pittance of a profit, now it's gonna tank even more.
For sure it's going to be interesting. They reported minuscule profits already and I doubt this will help change that. On the other hand, all GOG games are readily available on pirate sites on the release day so this doesn't change too much anyway.

Curratum

They rely on the fact that only nutty "muh DRM-free gaems" coots shop there anyway, and those are more loyal than dogs, so they might as well use the free publicity.

Citizen

To be honest, if you were to pirate a gog game, why would you bother with buy-refund process if you can just download the gog installer somewhere else and get the same game without hassle?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm having serious concerns about my library. Got dozens of games there, if they're going down I'll have to buy lots and lots of thumbdrives lol.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm having serious concerns about my library. Got dozens of games there, if they're going down I'll have to buy lots and lots of thumbdrives lol.

You can get a cheap external HDD of around 3TB for around 60 euros, which should be fine for a while until prices drop even further. I have 633 games from GOG on my own external HDD and the directory is around 2.5TB. Though i do need a new external HDD myself since i've already mostly filled mine (not just with GOG games, save a bunch of other stuff too).

Dux

Arcane
"And it all sums up in one sentence: starting now, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it. That's it."

So you can buy a game, play it, finish it and then return it for a full refund...

Well, it's not like people aren't model citizens, so I predict this will be a rousing success. Hey, game publishers might boycott GOG for it, effectively bankrupting the whole venture, but who the fuck gives a fuck about that piddly little fucking detail, right???

I have built my games library on sand.

:negative:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you played them all?

No, i have only finished around 100-150 of them or so and played a few more without finishing them, though i'm not 100% sure as i do not keep track anymore. At some point i need to make a database with the games i have so i can put them in categories as well as keep track of any demos, fixes, screenshots, etc i also have downloaded for them. While GOG is the largest of my collections (i do not count Steam since i do not have downloaded the games there... i also want to check which games i have on Steam that can run without it, but that is for after i get a new HDD), i also have ~250 games from other stores and a bunch of games that i got directly from their developers (paid and free).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's insane. GOG's gonna turn into an abuse city. They were already making a pittance of a profit, now it's gonna tank even more.
On the other hand there are people who would rather buy games on GOG but sometimes have to use Steam instead because it's the safer option due to its refund policy. Buying modern games can be a gamble when it comes to bugs and optimization so having a safety net of being guaranteed to get your money back in the event that the game is just a broken mess will make people more willing to take chances and spend money.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They rely on the fact that only nutty "muh DRM-free gaems" coots shop there anyway, and those are more loyal than dogs, so they might as well use the free publicity.

I get why most people like Steam's features enough to put up with the DRM, but why you mock caring about consumer rights I'll never understand.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Reminder that Curratum is one those who thinks turn-based is "old-tech" and only existed because of technical limitations and that real-time is superior for everything.

In other words a retard trying to out-edge the codex.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Clive Barker's Undying
Lands of Lore™ 1+2
Might and Magic® 7: For Blood and Honor®
Jagged Alliance 2
I've had these on my wishlist for god knows how long, and now they're all on sale. Which ones should I get?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Clive Barker's Undying
Lands of Lore™ 1+2
Might and Magic® 7: For Blood and Honor®
Jagged Alliance 2
I've had these on my wishlist for god knows how long, and now they're all on sale. Which ones should I get?
Start with JA2; there's very good reasons why many consider it to be the best squad level tactics game of all time.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
On the other hand there are people who would rather buy games on GOG but sometimes have to use Steam instead because it's the safer option due to its refund policy. Buying modern games can be a gamble when it comes to bugs and optimization so having a safety net of being guaranteed to get your money back in the event that the game is just a broken mess will make people more willing to take chances and spend money.

That's what metacritic, youtube and a dozen other preview/review sites are for. I don't buy jack or shit any more without doing some legwork first to find out if it's a broken POS.

Refunds are bullshit unless there's something specific that was promised that the dev or publisher left out, even then it needs to be an overwhelming feature creep issue like say... leaving demons out of Doom, or sims out of The Sims. Getting a refund just because you didn't like the game or whatever is retarded. Buying a game that gives you buyer's remorse is a teachable experience. Makes you more accountable with money.

CAVEAT EMPTOR. Words worth remembering.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's what metacritic, youtube and a dozen other preview/review sites are for. I don't buy jack or shit any more without doing some legwork first to find out if it's a broken POS.
In the era when even youtubers are getting paid off to shill and lie about games? Good luck with that!

Refunds are bullshit unless there's something specific that was promised that the dev or publisher left out, even then it needs to be an overwhelming feature creep issue like say... leaving demons out of Doom, or sims out of The Sims. Getting a refund just because you didn't like the game or whatever is retarded. Buying a game that gives you buyer's remorse is a teachable experience. Makes you more accountable with money.
What the actual fuck. I hope you're just trolling now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In the era when even youtubers are getting paid off to shill and lie about games? Good luck with that!

There's plenty of channels where you can watch 30-60 minutes of unedited gameplay footage from after the tutorial. That's a pretty solid indicator of whether you'll like the game or not, aside from something like mouse acceleration, which can probably be quickly researched on the Steam forum.

That said I'm all for Valve's refund policy. GOG one seems extreme, but since they're DRM free it makes sense to get the PR boost since they're on the honor system either way really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom