Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Melcar

Arcane
Patch notes in general seem to be a thing of the past a lot of the time. I've googled countless times wondering what a new patch changed and found nothing. Same for firmware updates on hardware.

Unfortunately this seems to be the case.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
GOG removed blue dot game updates. Then gave us yet another boring Star Wars sale for games that literally everyone on Earth already has. Then they gave us a fem-power sale to remind us of our horrible male privilege. Then they borked the Deus Ex launch with DLC that doesn't work.

Excellent month. Bravo, GOG. Steam and Epic have no chance in Hades.

*And as a suggestion to reach ultimate supremacy in gaming land, might I suggest closing down the forums and making Galaxy integration mandatory.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, I can confirm, that DLSc for DE-MD won't work if you install the game using offline installers:

It looks like they updated the installers, the game and the dlc should now work without Galaxy. Time to redownload 47 gigs :smug:
Fuck. I have expected some small "hotfix" for .exe and some .dlls. But it's not how this business operates these days, indeed:

NdItvWY.png

:rage:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Oh no, sales and a glitch that lasted a few days during a worldwide pandemic. They might as well close up shop.

Ok, so I was sarcastic... well, except for the forum closing bit. The cringe is strong there now. Feel like one must take estrogen AND crazy pills just to look at the words. I mean why can't a wall texture be a woman? Who the hell knows, but dammit somewhere someone is formatting a petition to make it so.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
BROS, I can confirm, that DLSc for DE-MD won't work if you install the game using offline installers:

It looks like they updated the installers, the game and the dlc should now work without Galaxy. Time to redownload 47 gigs :smug:
Fuck. I have expected some small "hotfix" for .exe and some .dlls. But it's not how this business operates these days, indeed:

Now they added a 4 MB hotfix patch, so no need to download the whole thing again after all.

dxmd.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking of forum - you can no longer access it in the new Galaxy.
What a load of crocshit
Actually you can, but not directly.
Go to any news --> see comments--->there's the forum.

Got it.
Now + in the upper part of Galaxy there are arrows to go back/forward and something resembling bookmark but it does nothing. Had hope for faster access but nah.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't get this platform integration thing. I tried playing AoE: DE from Galaxy but like expected it launches Steam too. So now you have 2 resource hogs running at the same time instead of one. ??? It seems worse than pointless?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IMO having launchers seem pointless if you have DRM free games... if you really want to have everything in one place just make a folder on your desktop, assign it a custom icon, create shortcuts to the games and make the icons larger (Ctrl+wheel). Pretty much all stores (and GOG's installers) create desktop icons so you don't need to do much more than drag+drop the icon from the desktop to the folder.

You can even have custom categories with subfolders (and their own icons!) or the same game in multiple categories (just copy shortcuts around :-P).

But people like it, so who knows. The only thing that made me like launching things via Steam at the past was the overlay adding a web-browser, FPS counter, clock, etc while in-game, but now AMD's (and i guess also Nvidia's) drivers have this for all 3D games.

Boleskine

Arcane
I still don't get this platform integration thing. I tried playing AoE: DE from Galaxy but like expected it launches Steam too. So now you have 2 resource hogs running at the same time instead of one. ??? It seems worse than pointless?

Nobody cares about DRM-free anymore, so GOG needs some other marketable unique feature.

Plus the data GOG collects about what games users own on other platforms (compared to each user's GOG library) is probably useful for deciding which games to sell and feature on GOG.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I totally agree, but as said above GOG's big unique aspect (DRM free) isn't something the vast majority care about, so they're always trying to find new hooks. They think the "one client to manage them all" thing is a good idea, and who knows... maybe it is. Honestly though I feel like Steam already is this for most people who want it, and when they buy an Origin or Epic game they probably make a custom entry and launch it through Steam. Not as robust as GOG's offering, but gets the job done.

cosmicray

Savant
IMO having launchers seem pointless if you have DRM free games... if you really want to have everything in one place just make a folder on your desktop, assign it a custom icon, create shortcuts to the games and make the icons larger (Ctrl+wheel). Pretty much all stores (and GOG's installers) create desktop icons so you don't need to do much more than drag+drop the icon from the desktop to the folder.
Launcher per se isn't needed, but if it downloads and updates games, then it is a welcome addition, because it becomes a game manager then. And installing and updating everything by hand is a pain in the ass. Which is why I'm not in the mood as of late in buying games on GOG since Galaxy isn't on Linux.

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the mods at GOG said in the forum they'll fix the DLC issue. Also they released fixed versions of the DS3 offline installers (though for some reason they didn't mark the game as updated... do they do everything by hand and forgot it?).

I haven't noticed GOG marking any of their games on my game list as "Updated" in quite a while now. Have they given up on the practice, or have they simply not updated anything?

Update notifications have not been working for a while, you can use this very useful third party site instead. It shows all the new releases, and any changes to the existing ones. I only discovered this recently, and that list made me respect gog a bit more, seeing that they're pushing out a ton of updates for their games on a daily basis. Not all of them are actual patches, sometimes it's just a name change to the installer, etc. but still.
Thanks for that link! It's one thing that's always bugged me about GOG. I never knew what was updated on my games whenever I'd see the little update dot. Was it an added/updated extra or patch or just an additional [insert country name] language manual... do I need to re-download everything?!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
It looks like a certain fitgirl is becoming more and more trustworthy publisher than both Steam and GOG. In the latter's case, I wonder if their sudden incompetence is due the influx of diversity hires.

spekkio

Arcane
It looks like a certain fitgirl is becoming more and more trustworthy publisher than both Steam and GOG. In the latter's case, I wonder if their sudden incompetence is due the influx of diversity hires.
Mos def the best installers on the market. You can select (and decide not to download) almost everything: language versions, LQ / HQ movies, bonus content, etc. Shit like that should be a fucking standard for paying customers. Instead, we get 50 GB "lol, just DL all this shit, OK" installers. Which often don't even work.

And let's not even mention shit like this:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Twin Pack (MULTi7)

Includes: Complete Edition, v1.4.651.0/v1.4.66.0 + Director's Cut, v2.0.66.0/Update 1
Interface Language: English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, Polish
Audio Language: English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Russian

Based on two ISO releases: Deus.Ex.Human.Revolution.Complete.Edition.READNFO-PROPHET (ppt-deco.iso, 13,192,939,520 bytes) and Deus.Ex.Human.Revolution.Directors.Cut.RELOADED (rld-deusexhr.iso, 19,121,113,088 bytes)
Deus.Ex.Human.Revolution.Directors.Cut.UPDATE.1.READNFO-CPY (12.5 GB) applied over

Selective Download feature: you can skip downloading and installing of voiceover files, "Making of" video for DC and unused Japanese files

You can install either Complete Edition or Director's Cut or both with any number of voiceovers

Significantly smaller archive size (compressed from cumulative 43.4 to 5.1~9.8 GB, depending on selected components)
So it's a "both versions in one" release: "old" version of HR, with all patches and with "Missing Link" as a totally separate thing, and "new" DC version (broken Wii port based on older source). And all of this in a 5,1 GB installer.

I was sticking to scene releases for a long time, but atm fitgirl or dodi repacks are much more convenient (smaller, patched, selective download) than scene releases. And much better than what GoG / Steam offers.

Not sure if:

:incline:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
*checks totally not-commie propaganda game video*

As expected, the main bad is a DRUMP! stand-in. Don't the liberals/commies/SJW get tired of pushing the same thing over, over and over?

Oh, don't forget the mass-produced, angry black woman as one of the main characters.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I might be a bit too cynical, but it could be just developers finding a niche to cater to. You know, capitalists selling you the rope you would (hope to) hang them with, etc :-P.

Launcher per se isn't needed, but if it downloads and updates games, then it is a welcome addition, because it becomes a game manager then.

The autoupdates only work if you have the game already installed, right? So you'd need to have all games you own installed for them to be kept up to date by the launcher.

And installing and updating everything by hand is a pain in the ass.

How are you doing it? I personally have all the installers in my external HDD so it is all a matter of doubleclicking the installer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom