Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

visions

Arcane
New release: Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood

Wow, that's quite cool actually. Last time I searched for it on Ebay, I found only a few copies that would ship to only the US, so making this available again for those who do no like to pirate, is welcome.

visions

Arcane
Tbh, I've only played Desperados so far, still have to get around to trying the Commandos games and I can't dedicate a lot of time to pc gaming right now so it'll take me time to get to these and Robin Hood both. But still good to know that it's available again.

Turjan

Arcane
Does anyone know when GOG will undergo their changes? I've been curious as to what newer games they're gonna offer.
They gonna offer ME1. It's obviously good (GOTY!!!) and old (2007? Get outta here!). It's the logical next step, really.
Well, the DRM for the game is gone. EA/Bioware purged all registrations and serials. Which ironically made installing their release DLC nearly impossible, as that one still requires a serial. It's even hard to find a website for that game. I guess that means it's officially old after today's standards.

TripJack

Hedonist
paradox is already on GG and a ton of other sites why would them being on gog be so great?

belated

Augur
Atari sale now, -50% all everything except I guess the WOTC stuff that was on sale recently.

In other words, Darklands, Star Control, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Outcast etc. Good times.

catfood

AGAIN
paradox is already on GG and a ton of other sites why would them being on gog be so great?

Because I don't know other sites which let you copy the installation kit and install it on any device without having to log in to an online account.

Anyway GOG has now added some indie games.
http://af.gog.com/news/bigger_fresher_newer_see_whats_new_on_gogcom?as=1649904300
I only played Darwinia (ok game) and Trine (great) which I got from a gaming mag. I will consider Legends of Grimcockrock only after the prestigious RPG Codex review. :smug:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whispering World is fun, you just have to get used to the main character terrible, terrible lisp.
How are the puzzles? Too easy? Too absurd? Or just right?
I thought they were alright (although the world has a bit of a dream like quality to it, so sometimes the chain of events necessary to proceed can reflect that and be slightly fucked up), but I am no adventure games veteran, so take it with a grain of salt.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Machinarium and The Whispered World are available for download.
I think Machinarium def deserves to be played. No matter how much you find adventure games boring.

Kaol

Educated
I've never used GoG but i noticed some games that were on abandonia before are now only available at GoG. Thats my problem with GoG, perhaps I am wrong but i assumed they were looking at games that were popular abandonware and then offering them for sale.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I've never used GoG but i noticed some games that were on abandonia before are now only available at GoG. Thats my problem with GoG, perhaps I am wrong but i assumed they were looking at games that were popular abandonware and then offering them for sale.

Most games were never abandonware, just companies rarely bothered to scour the internet warez sites protect their back catalogue.

For 5 or 10 dollars I can purchase a game that I don't need to fuck around with emulators for, support a business and an independent developer (Cdprokekt) that might make a game I wanna play someday, show support for old style games with my money that might make a slight reverse in the decline, get goodies like expansions that you otherwise might never have gotten with support from a business and show that there is a pc market that isn't full of sociopathic pirates.

Chuck Norris

Augur
It's stupid to buy any pre 90 game on GOG ( Like Ultima and King's Quest ), because they should have been abandonwares any way, no matter what their greedy owners think and selling them is flat out wrong. but you have to appreciate the service of making old games compatible with new technologies, since for some of them, you have to waste a lot of time doing it manually and time is gold. Prices are cheap ( unless you're fucking broke ). installer is classy. website is nice, fast and responsive. Community is helpful. Lots of great games available. ( Lots of shit too, but they can easily be ignored. ) and most important of all, it's DRM free. I know I'm sounding like a GOG advertising agent, but seriously, I think this website is the best thing that happened to the gaming business in the last decade ( at least a lot better than this steam turd ) and haters should just go play with their balls.

BTW, New releases:
Darwinia and Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom