Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Going Down to Hinterland

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Hinterland; Tilted Mill

JarlFrank had a go at Tilted Mill's <b><a href="http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/">Hinterland</a></b> to find out what this RPG/strategy hybrid is all about.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=185">Read on...</a>

LCJr.

Erudite
Just to elaborate on a few things. To me this game doesn't even rate as an ARPG just an action game. A characters only stats are Attack, Defense and Health. There's a little experience bar for each one and they increase through use. Hit your enemies enough times and your attack improves. Get hit enough times your defense and health increase. Outside of combat levels have no effect. Level 1 farmer produces as much food as a level 10 farmer.

One thing really annoyed me was pathfinding/collision. It's present in Mosby's so I can't say if it's a Torque problem or a Tilted Mill problem. When a character comes into contact with a scenery object or another character they almost completely stop moving. It's annoying and sometimes fatal. For example your trying to flee and somebody touches a rock and their killed by the pursuing monster. Or you engage in combat against a strong monster and your followers get stuck on your back and contribute nothing to the fight.

The town building pretty much lacks any kind of strategy. Priority number one produce food. Duh. After that it depends on who shows up and what you can afford or have met the pre-requisites for. Getting the higher level buildings is again a matter of random chance and not strategy. Like in Jarl's example if you want a dragon breeder you have find a dragon egg. Wizards require an Arcane Tome, a High Priest a Holy Relic, etc. Being at the mercy of a random treasure generator is not strategy.

The game's good for two or three playthroughs and you'll have seen all it has to offer. If you're looking for a $20 ARPG with light strategy you'd do far better with Soldak's Depths of Peril.

Kraszu

Prophet
LCJr. said:
Just to elaborate on a few things. To me this game doesn't even rate as an ARPG just an action game.

I doubt that actioncodex would agree whit that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LCJr. said:
Getting the higher level buildings is again a matter of random chance and not strategy. Like in Jarl's example if you want a dragon breeder you have find a dragon egg. Wizards require an Arcane Tome, a High Priest a Holy Relic, etc. Being at the mercy of a random treasure generator is not strategy.

I found the randomness to be annoying on many fronts. There's no real logic to the game. Resources are scattered randomly on the map, the kinds of enemies that guard these resources are random, the people who visit your town are random, the quests the king gives you are random. And not random in a logical way. Just plain fucking random. High Priests visiting your town at the beginning of a game, while you don't even have the remote chance of recruiting them, is one good example for that.
Hinterland is a perfect example of a game where random generation really fucked things up.

Masterr

Novice
Just to elaborate on a few things. To me this game doesn't even rate as an ARPG just an action game. A characters only stats are Attack, Defense and Health. There's a little experience bar for each one and they increase through use. Hit your enemies enough times and your attack improves. Get hit enough times your defense and health increase. Outside of combat levels have no effect. Level 1 farmer produces as much food as a level 10 farmer.

+1
really agree
interface is nice. lots of other interesting things, yeah... but all in all the game needs to be given another brush

Masterr

Novice
bad it is not free now

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seriously? Gilf dating?

Decline of the ad-bots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom