Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Golden Land Interview

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Burut Creative Team; Golden Land

Our interview with members of Burut about their upcoming turn based, old schoolish CRPG, Golden Land.

5.) Is the player free to go to the locations whenever he wants to go there, like in Fallout or Morrowind? Or do you have to complete one location before you move to the next, like Planescape Torment? Is there a world map?

Evgeny Bratkov: The greater part of the world, including towns, villages and other well-known territories will be always accessible to the player. Only locations assigned to certain events connected with the storyline or non-linear quests will appear as required. The character will move between distant objects with the help of global map. At the same time he will meet both enemies and peaceful characters, whom he will be able to talk to, to trade or to gain a new quest.​

Got to love those open ended worlds!

crpgnut

Augur
I hope they don't attempt the English translation themselves. I had a hard time understanding some of what they were trying to say. I've played several non-US
crpgs and the translation process is HUGE. I hate games where all the characters have 30-letter names. Hi, I'm Thravanir Goessbernsen. This is my wife Katerina Hilgdorf-Goessbernsen. Our neighbor is Thorjgald Grubernessen and he has a quest for you to solve too! Remembering names like this is painful. Unless the journal and automap are supremely well done, it can be impossible.

crpgnut

Augur
SP, if you get another interview with these guys, as them about how interactive the environment is. I was looking at some screenshots from the game, couldn't access yours for some reason, and noticed lost of detail. If I see a weapon leaning against the wall, can I take it? What about all the barrels. Are they all interactive or maybe it's a group thing? I'm still waiting for a game where I can affect terrain by casting spells.
It'd be cool if I targeted a house with a fireball and it started to burn. I think we're still aways from seeing this in a game. I'd love to be able to set traps too. Divine Divinity had a little bit of this and it was fun. I'd sneak up to a door lay some traps and then break open some jars. The monsters would come running out and get blown up :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
crpgnut said:
SP, if you get another interview with these guys, as them about how interactive the environment is. I was looking at some screenshots from the game, couldn't access yours for some reason, and noticed lost of detail.

Doh.. I fixed the links. Thanks for telling me. :)

There's a question about how interactive the environment is in this game. It's Question 6 specifically.

If I see a weapon leaning against the wall, can I take it? What about all the barrels. Are they all interactive or maybe it's a group thing? I'm still waiting for a game where I can affect terrain by casting spells.

I doubt affecting the terrain is possible in this game, since it looks like it uses background bitmaps rather than tile based.

It'd be cool if I targeted a house with a fireball and it started to burn. I think we're still aways from seeing this in a game. I'd love to be able to set traps too. Divine Divinity had a little bit of this and it was fun. I'd sneak up to a door lay some traps and then break open some jars. The monsters would come running out and get blown up :)

Hah.. Yeah, games really need to focus more on traps and things like that. I hate games where the traps can only be set off by the players and the party members of the players also. If a monster steps on a trap, it should wipe them out too.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Christ.
Our FO Boys are now almost as bad as the masachistic NWN ones.
JUST BECAUSE A GAME IS TB DOES NOT AUTOMATICLY CONSTITUTE ROCKTITUDE, NOR VICE VERCIA! DARKLANDS AND FFX!
Iam excited thou. The architecture looks kinda Arab-Byzantine.
Just worry about the translations.
Hope it's better than Shenmue :lol: .

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Constipated Craprunner said:
Christ.
Our FO Boys are now almost as bad as the masachistic NWN ones.
JUST BECAUSE A GAME IS TB DOES NOT AUTOMATICLY CONSTITUTE ROCKTITUDE, NOR VICE VERCIA! DARKLANDS AND FFX!

Given what they say about it in the interview, it sounds like an interesting system. Also, the character system does looking a lot like Fallout as well.

Jarinor

Liturgist
Man, chalk up another Russian (or Eastern Europen) RPG that I'd like to get, but probably won't.

As for bad translations - Zero Wing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jarinor said:
Man, chalk up another Russian (or Eastern Europen) RPG that I'd like to get, but probably won't.

Gorasul is the most recent CRPG I can name with a horrible translation.

Mistress

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Jarinor said:

Gorasul is the most recent CRPG I can name with a horrible translation.

Nasty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom