Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Golden, Silver, and Modern Age of RPGs

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The Dark Ages: xxxx-2017

The Golden Age: anno Infans Auream-present

:ibelieveincleve:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Golden Age = Oldest
Silver Age = Middle
Modern Age = Now

That's the way it's always been

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can't disagree, because it's not an opinion. It's like saying an oak tree isn't a plant. You're fucking full of shit. These are goddamned definitions in the Oxford dictionary, or at least some dictionary. I swear!!!!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
You can't disagree, because it's not an opinion. It's like saying an oak tree isn't a plant. You're fucking full of shit.

So the Golden Age of cinema was the 1910s was it...
Classical Hollywood cinema, classical Hollywood narrative, and classical continuity[4] are terms used in film criticism which designate both a narrative and visual style of film-making which developed in and characterized American cinema between the 1910s and the early 1960s, and eventually became the most powerful and pervasive style of film-making worldwide.[5]

This is under the definition of Golden Age. Comics are the same. Why wouldn't a medium like games be the same? Of course they are!

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
You can't disagree, because it's not an opinion. It's like saying an oak tree isn't a plant. You're fucking full of shit.

So the Golden Age of cinema was the 1910s was it...
Classical Hollywood cinema, classical Hollywood narrative, and classical continuity[4] are terms used in film criticism which designate both a narrative and visual style of film-making which developed in and characterized American cinema between the 1910s and the early 1960s, and eventually became the most powerful and pervasive style of film-making worldwide.[5]

This is under the definition of Golden Age. Comics are the same. Why wouldn't a medium like games be the same? Of course they are!

So the golden age of games is 1970s-2020s, gotcha...

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Tech moves faster these days, so ages are shorter. That's pretty obvious. You can look at the changes from hardcore, in between, and softcore. From Ultima to Krondor, then from Diablo to Kotor, and finally FO3 to today. These are very distinct paradigms.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Tech moves faster these days, so ages are shorter. That's pretty obvious. You can look at the changes from hardcore, in between, and softcore. From Ultima to Krondor, then from Diablo to Kotor, and finally FO3 to today. These are very distinct paradigms.

You mean like the changes from a 1910 silent b/w short to 2001 A Space Odyssey?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Yeah, I'd say Akalabeth to Krondor was about the same difference and still Golden Age. Thanks for making my point!

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Yeah, I'd say Akalabeth to Krondor was about the same difference and still Golden Age. Thanks for making my point!

I'd say the difference between pong and GTA VIII is about the same difference (or will be), it'll aslo fit in the timescale you're wanting, that of 60 odd years. Why are you so logically flawed? Is it the drink?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Actually, Akalabeth to Krondor is a far bigger leap than silent movies to the 60's were. I can't help you if you can't see that. Sorry.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Actually, Akalabeth to Krondor is a far bigger leap than silent movies to the 60's were. I can't help you if you can't see that. Sorry.

Actually, Akalabeth to Krondor is a far smaller leap than grainy silent movies to the 1960s was, I can't help you if you can't see that. Sorry.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
iron/bronze whatever you want to call it from late 70's till 88 or 89. I'm sure this can be broken into 2 categories but I've hardly played any of these games

I'd say either Ultima 5, M&M 2 or POR begins the golden age ie

88-94

94-96 is dark ages, fuck all came out except diablo 1, Daggerfall, couple quasi rpg's like JA1, xcom. Prolly a few others I'm forgetting

ren is 97-2001 Beginning with Fallout and M&M 6 a few months later

I'd say modern started with NWN 1, Morrowind and Kotor in 2002-2003.

From 2014ish onwards we've entered sort of a REN 2 period with extremely controversial results, this period also seems to be wrapping up lately.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
The point being discussed is that BG2 was the last non-shit bioware game.

That's not saying a whole lot, lol.

It's also inaccurate, Hordes of the Underdark was their last completely not-shit-at-all game.

I thought HOTU was shit

That's because you're a nut job.

Killing identical monsters in a shitty engine with shitty combat for 20 hours isn't my idea of a good time.

Again there was a time where my opinion was the standard one on the codex, in the past few years more and more morons such as yourself who like repetitive garbage have turned out of the woodworks.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah never much cared for HotU, don't much care for Waterdeep, Under Mountain, FUCKING DROW, slogging through a boring lower plane or the obvious Mephistopheles plan. Preferred Undrentide.

If you're in a war between Elves its obvious what to do, kill em all.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Mwahahaha!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom