Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good action games for a "iron man" playthrough ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by We kangz, Jan 12, 2019.

1. We kangz Literate

We kangz
    What are the good games for a "iron man" playthrough ? games where if you die instead of reloading the last save game you reload the entire campaign,both: games who already has iron man modes and games who don't are included !

A good game for a "iron man" mode will be:

• A game where is required way more skill than game knowledge(game knowledge and skill are different things for example in a RTS Esports game most people already know the best strategy to win but no one has ever fully mastered the game mechanics to apply these strategies for every game in row,thats why "the best player" in a competitive online game doens't exist).

• No RNG(no Xcom)

• No turn-based(those requires much more game knowledge than skill,thats why you don't see Esports turn-based games unless if is full of RNG like Hearthstone)

• No "Unavoidable death from a Trap unless you in are in a second playthrough " and overall cheap deaths,in this cases i would just load the save.

• No grinding(Diablo 2)

• The game most be challenging from start to end.

• ideal game lenght: Min. 8 hours/Max. 30 hours , can be longer or shorter than that,this are just the ideal values.

• No Randomness that put you in a "no way to survive" situation.

Most FPS games match those requiriments above,also stealth games.I still need to find some Action RPGs/Games and maybe some RTS games to fit this criteria.

Suggestions ?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tweed Educated

Tweed
    Desert Bus

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. forumvisitor#451 Learned

forumvisitor#451
    Uplink

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Space Marine, bit easy but eh.
    Severance, watch for jumps in Najaf and Abyss.
    Rune.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    MDK

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Kirby Super Star (Ultra)? Has multiple game (campaigns) you could handle separately or try to 1CC the entire game. I don't think there's much luck in it beyond enemy attack pattern and (Disposable. Like a summon monster spell) AI partners.

Only real problem is a handful of instant death pits, but those are rarely a problem since the main character can fly at will.

edit: Most of the good Kirby platformers work. Super Star is just the best. Especially so if you wanted to do it on a second playthrough.

Symphony of the Night works. You could grind, but the game is notorious for being easy with end game equipment even if you hack it to lock the player at level 1. There is RNG, but it's all item drops and almost none of the dropped items/bought items are that useful. Especially so in Richter Mode (or Maria mode if you play the PSP port), where you don't level up or have item drops. The other Metroidvania games are dependent on random drops far more and grinding is more effective.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    ^ Top  
  7. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Or

• Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Dragon's Dogma

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. EverlastingLove Novice

EverlastingLove
    Severance: Blade of Darkness

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Quake 2. If you're good you can complete the game taking no damage (AFAIK) whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    Realms of Arkania HD.

• Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. what am i doing Literate

what am i doing
    Dark Messiah. I've done a few iron man runs on it and I'd say it's a fair game for that sort of thing. If playing on hardcore mode, be sure to invest in health upgrades early. If playing it blind, don't hoard potions/consumables too much; the game throws plenty at you and they help a lot.

Use particular caution dealing with extreme heights (ie jumping off a rope) as it is the main way you might end up dying instantly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    If action games include platformers/metroidvanias, I can recommend Ori And The Blind Forest (Definitive Edition).

It's platforming-centric (combat is an afterthought), very gorgeous, with fantastic soundtrack and very fun to play, largely thanks to the emphasis on movement and using the levels and enemies to proceed. It also goes out of its way to avoid cheap gotchas and always give you enough information to proceed and avoid getting killed. The length is also ok, around 10h mark for exhaustive play and it does have ironman mode.

Mind you, I am not entirely recommending it in good faith, because in practice you will still learn by dying. A lot. The game doesn't pull punches and difficulty curve is absolutely brutal. It just doesn't throw unforeseeable deaths at you (but it doesn't hand you the information on a silver platter or spoonfeed warnings, so it might still seem like trial-and-error to typical player), so as long as you:
    • stay sharp
    • never let your attention lapse
    • read cues
    • parse the environment and play cautiously
    • can make split second decisions to respond to changing situation
    • have fast reflexes and good coordination
    • can stay cool headed even during hectic adrenaline rush
    • can stay sharp and attentive after an hour or two of the above
    you should technically be able to ironman it.
    :hero:
    Good luck!

:hmmm:
    You mean apart from those:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess#Competitive_play
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)#Competitive_play
    ?

Have you ever tried to read what you have written aloud before submitting?

IIRC there is one place in the reactor unit where you have to take falling damage to proceed. There once existed a simple exploit that allowed avoiding any and all falling damage but it has since been patched.

Also Q2 is piss-easy and relatively boring.

Unreal or HL might qualify, though.
    I wonder about DOS-era FPSes...

I also wonder if STALKER series does (apart from Clear Sky, for obvious reasons)? Atmosphere would synergize with ironman and you get both tools to survey ahead and some telegraphing of non-obvious threats.

Personally I am sad to not be able to recommend Requiem for Skyrim, as despite all its merits it still has its share of bullshit moments (usually situations where you ratchet into a spot you couldn't see to be way out of your league beforehand. Also, invisible entities. Fuck invisible entities).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    Hollow Knight has an extra steel soul mode for this. There are no instant-death traps. Hitting enemies fills your mana, which you can use to heal yourself. Healing takes one or two seconds, though, so you'll have to find a safe spot to do it. In theory, you can recover from any situation.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Fallout 4.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    I love Dark Messiah, but there's too much random as hell death for it to be good iron man. Platforming parts are a bit finiky. Not to mention rope arrows have a nasty habbit of getting you stuck outside the level.

^ Top  
  17. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Planet Escape: Tournament.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Subterrain is a good game for an Ironman playthrough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. what am i doing Literate

what am i doing
    It is true there's a bug / design oversight wherein if you drop two rope arrows next to each other and jump on one rope, you'll be unable to leave as jumping off one causes you to latch onto the other regardless of which direction you jumped. This by itself is pretty easily avoidable and after you do it once you'll probably not do it again.

Not to defend the bug or anything, but it's only one thing and it's a bit of a shame to pass up a very good game for iron manning just for the one thing.

^ Top  
  20. We kangz Literate

We kangz
    competitive chess matches are played with time limit:

now in turn-based game where you have unlimited amount of time to think is another story.

^ Top  
  21. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    This :
    And Devil May Cry 3. I recommend you to install the Style Switcher Mod. If you a really big challenge then play on Dante Must Die difficulty and/or try to S rank all missions

^ Top  
  22. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Try Devil May Cry: Dante Must Die. No items, no reloads, die restart the game. If you can do that one playthrough, you're special

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)