Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Divinity: Original Sin
But I thing is, it is no longer doom, actually. It changes gameplay a lot.
That's kinda the point of it isn't it? To have a different experience within the same basic doom framework.

My complaint, which I didn't mention, is that a lot of people acknowledge brutal doom what old school doom gameplay is. Just like when you just add som hi-res textures in some games, brutal doom is normally viewed as a fancy graphic update.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
All the derpy taunts, sound effects, and other bullshit can be removed if you know what you are doing. Modding other mods is easy at least. After playing Doom for so long you just want to shake things up sometimes. Smoothdoom or Beautifuldoom for that matter are preferable in a lot of ways if you want a purist approach.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finished Tantrum 2, another 1998 Cacowards winner. Vanilla visuals, but brutal gameplay even on normal difficulty, and not due to the tedious (IMO) trapped in confined space with high level enemies design that some WADs use to make it challenging.
Lots of excellent encounters, and lack of health was a problem for a long time.

Last edited:

grudgebringer

Why is this thread spoiled with brutal doom mindless bots who repeatedly reminds everyone about its existence? I don't think there are people left who don't aware of this mod. If you enjoy it that's fine I'm happy for you, but calm down I really don't want to know about every fucking patch they bring out.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Why is this thread spoiled with brutal doom mindless bots who repeatedly reminds everyone about its existence? I don't think there are people left who don't aware of this mod. If you enjoy it that's fine I'm happy for you, but calm down I really don't want to know about every fucking patch they bring out.

Probably because not everyone is a faggot who has been playing Doom without mouselook for 20 years. I played Doom when it came out (and have almost every day since then) and have downloaded and played every fucking major level pack and mod Doomworld has, so I don't have to be a try hard cunt who complains about how prominent Brutal Doom is in the modding community. I could mention how amazing Ancient Aliens was in coop, with some of the best fucking texture work around, or how creative Shadow of the Wool is. A mindless bot is someone who disregards shit because it's cool to dislike. How about Complex Doom for Zandronum? Does that appeal to your delicate sensibilities? Or how about you use the ignore button and shut the fuck up?

Edit: Also Temple of the Lizard Men 4 and Wasteland

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Agreed. It's cancer. Worst are the Doom 1 and 2 steam store pages where literally every screenshot presented is of Brutal Doom.

grudgebringer

Probably because not everyone is a faggot who has been playing Doom without mouselook for 20 years. I played Doom when it came out (and have almost every day since then) and have downloaded and played every fucking major level pack and mod Doomworld has, so I don't have to be a try hard cunt who complains about how prominent Brutal Doom is in the modding community. I could mention how amazing Ancient Aliens was in coop, with some of the best fucking texture work around, or how creative Shadow of the Wool is. A mindless bot is someone who disregards shit because it's cool to dislike. How about Complex Doom for Zandronum? Does that appeal to your delicate sensibilities? Or how about you use the ignore button and shut the fuck up.

I'm not playing Doom with KB controls anymore, I prefer mouse these days, I just disable vertical axis so you can't look up and down. I'm not complaing about "how prominent Brutal Doom is" either, what I'm saying is that people who prefer to mod vanilla Doom that far became an annoying case. They literally shouting from every corner about how much better it is compared to original. In my eyes it is not, it goes too far and changes too much. It's not Doom anymore, it's something different. It was pretty much the same case a couple of years ago when Dark Souls became a phenomenon in online communities, those funs were shouting from everywhere how it's just the best gaem evar and how everything is a piece of shit compared to DS and all that. It's such a teen kind of behavior to act like that. And it becomes so annoying that it repels from the game itself. So when you are trying so hard to propel BD you aren't doing any good. If it's good people will notice it anyway, there's no need to push it that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Probably because not everyone is a faggot who has been playing Doom without mouselook for 20 years. I played Doom when it came out (and have almost every day since then) and have downloaded and played every fucking major level pack and mod Doomworld has, so I don't have to be a try hard cunt who complains about how prominent Brutal Doom is in the modding community. I could mention how amazing Ancient Aliens was in coop, with some of the best fucking texture work around, or how creative Shadow of the Wool is. A mindless bot is someone who disregards shit because it's cool to dislike. How about Complex Doom for Zandronum? Does that appeal to your delicate sensibilities? Or how about you use the ignore button and shut the fuck up.

I'm not playing Doom with KB controls anymore, I prefer mouse these days, I just disable vertical axis so you can't look up and down. I'm not complaing about "how prominent Brutal Doom is" either, what I'm saying is that people who prefer to mod vanilla Doom that far became an annoying case. They literally shouting from every corner about how much better it is compared to original. In my eyes it is not, it goes too far and changes too much. It's not Doom anymore, it's something different. It was pretty much the same case a couple of years ago when Dark Souls became a phenomenon in online communities, those funs were shouting from everywhere how it's just the best gaem evar and how everything is a piece of shit compared to DS and all that. It's such a teen kind of behavior to act like that. And it becomes so annoying that it repels from the game itself. So when you are trying so hard to propel BD you aren't doing any good. If it's good people will notice it anyway, there's no need to push it that hard.
itz funny because the cited behavior tend to come from the people who dislike it and can't keep their mouth shut about it whenever it's mentioned, see ITT. Someone posted 1 update about it 20 people need to tell the world how much it suckzzzzzz.

grudgebringer

itz funny because the cited behavior tend to come from the people who dislike it and can't keep their mouth shut about it whenever it's mentioned, see ITT. Someone posted 1 update about it 20 people need to tell the world how much it suckzzzzzz.

The only thing that I'm not telling anyone that it sucks, though.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Currently playing TNT Revilution.

D78C1C3C95D21F0BF7468F29BF2F91C2A0F5EFC5

4ABCF3690A37B350C95B30E9DBC58C232F6C8DD9

566C66CF42FBF637F4F7F5224CE17AEA9874A649

1A6E5859E1E6208A2216CF2576CFEF74BDCFB8A8

194A5B4E8C3FB6BA2173950CE25D90CC1CF76069

Has anybody managed to run Final Doom PSX port properly on any emulator?

EPSXE shows title screen, then crashes.
PCSX - same as above
pSX - runs but extremely glitchy

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm sick of all these poorly optimized GZdoom mods with particle effects out the ass that don't fit with the original game at all. Any good classic ZDoom mods I might've missed? I was a big fan of WildWeasel's mods.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ultimate Torment and Torture is my favorite mod. Doom II is my pick for the greatest PC game in the history of games. The monster design in the Doom games (typically credited to Sandy Peterson) is just amazing with the Arch Vile being my all-time favorite game monster. Some highly rated, "classic" mods kind of suck. Eternal has nice music and assets but it becomes a hideous and nightmarish switch hunt. It was mods like this that turned me off Doom for awhile but that doesn't mean there aren't fantastic user created PWADS out there. I played one stunning looking winter-themed mod and the end boss was absolutely ridiculous where you had to kill him about five times to finish him off. Again, mods like this scare me away from Doom for awhile.

Right now I'm playing the Dark Forces inspired Space Wars by Paul Corfiatis (he gets my vote for the best non-jokey title of a PWAD ever - Whispers of Satan) and it's quite good with some really nifty custom monsters like the security bots (be wary of them - they can one shot you) and this weird but cool-looking half-wraith, half Baron from Hell boss-thing that floats around and can set the ground on fire . One thing that's very important to understand when playing modern PWADS is that what may be easy in Ultra Violent difficulty with the original Doom I & II and early PWADS, may be near impossible with many if not most community created mods. Something to consider. Best to always read the read me or reviews before starting a new mod, or to test the waters first with Hurt Me Plenty difficulty else you may find yourself ass-raped, frozen and unable to progress like what happened to me when I was half-way through the otherwise excellent PWAD Unloved. I use Doom Explorer as my mod manager and one enhancement mod - Particle Fire Enhancer Mod.

I think the Doom modders community is the best in the world. So much goodness here. So much... along with so much shart.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, I finished Doomed Space Wars and now rank it as my second favorite Doom WAD after UT&T, though I am by no means a Star Wars-tard. The author has Asperger's Syndrome and clearly shows genius level game designer skills in his creation here. I wish all doom wads could be this good... and this length. Those fucking interminable 32-lvl "megawads" can eat my wad. 10 levels and NO MORE is the perfect length for these things these days. Paul Corfiatis perfectly understands this concept. I'll continue to play more Doom wads until I run into a stinker that drives me away again for 5 years. Then 5 years later back to Doom. Repeat, rinse and cycle, for the rest of my natural life

Has anyone played The Inquisitor III wad? Should be right up the alley of you codexers, mixing classic Doom-engine TC play with RPG stats. I actually enjoyed the original Heretic more than the original Doom, though I must admit that Doom is the most seminal game in the history of PC gaming.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Paul Corfiatis has made some great wads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom