Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by AngryEddy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Siveon Bot Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You use Crispy Doom instead

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Makes it look and act like proper Doom. You even get vanilla compatibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Siveon Bot Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm not knocking GZDoom mind, it's a versatile and great engine for FPS mods. But if you want super proper Doom.

Crispy. Or Chocolate at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    I mean I want the mod compatibility and higher res and all that jazz, and I'm 99% sure that dynamic weapon lighting was available in a previous version of GZDoom, so I'm wondering what setting somehow got screwed up. I figure there should be some kind of vanilla config that gets everything working properly and as close to original Doom as possible in the GZDoom engine. I'm surprised that resetting all GZDoom settings to default doesn't do this.

^ Top  
  5. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    Out of curiosity, what do people here think of the various ports of Doom 64? I have been downloading a couple; Doom 64 EX which converts the N64 into a wad (I think), Doom 64 Retribution (Doom 64 recreated to run on Gzdoom), Doom 64 for Doom 2 (Doom 64 recreated with Doom 2 assets), and Brutal Doom 64.

Got to be honest, I have been playing Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 of Ultimate Doom (I have not that game in almost eighteen years) before trying any D64 port and I rather enjoy Ultimate Doom more even if the later looks better.

^ Top  
  6. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Brutal Doom 64 was the first time playing "old" Doom, since I played the original Doom back in the early 90's, and I absolutely loved it. Got wind of it after Doom 2016 came out, and it's been a slow descent into the Doom mod rabbit hole ever since.

^ Top  
  7. index.php Cipher

index.php
    Doom 64 EX is the most authentic experience.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    WolfenDOOM: Blade of Agony v2 ✠ Intro & Briefing

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. JackOfOwls Savant

JackOfOwls
    That Doom 64 EX mod was brilliant, and I was about 25% into it and enjoying myself immensely with the full intention of completing it until I realized that the difficulty level I selected was not conducive to winning with anyone but the best FPS twitch players. Hey, I figured before starting, "Christ, this must be designed so that even a complete mental defective can finish it with little or no difficulty! I mean, it was originally for the N64, FFS! How hard can it be? I'm gonna pick "Nightmare for Your Nuts!" mode or whatever it's called and fucking ace it!." Baaaaaad idea. It hurt like hell to have to abandon this otherwise great WAD, but I learned an important lesson - when playing user-made WADS always select lower difficulty levels unless you're a Doom-beast with these things.

^ Top  
  11. JackOfOwls Savant

JackOfOwls
    Any new episodes or just a refining of the existing ones? Always wanted to play this since the author made some of my absolute favorite wads but it always seemed too slick to enjoy and it perhaps owed too much to that wacky dude who used to make youtube videos of him playing all the parts (both male and female) in his plays he wrote and who authored a slew of well-regarded Wolfenstein wads years ago. I'm sure I should change that way of thinking.

^ Top  
  12. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I finished it, and it's really a short but cleverly done map merging first map of Doom 2 and Blood with some new additions. The gunplay feels good, although dynamite feels weak compared to the original Blood. It's probably due to the engine switch, but maybe it will change in the final release. Flare gun works nicely in comparison, even on Doom bestiary. The enemy mixing is really cool and actually works, but you need to be careful to not overdone it. It's hard to judge right now, but hopefully the author - drugod will continue working on it. You can really feel that it was by someone who likes and understands both games before making this and adding it to lolwhacky addons sections just to be forgotten later on.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    its a version 2, an updated wad, he added alot of extra stuff and refined some maps, from what i gathered.

^ Top  
  14. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    For those of you who own a "Roomba 980":

:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste

• meh meh x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    :incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    Holy shit... And I haven't even finished Ep2 yet...

^ Top  
  18. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    I haven't heard of that one before, but it looks dope.

^ Top  
  19. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    They are very dope, among the dopest of the modern Doom wads in fact. Both episodes are extremely beautiful and well thought out but some of the levels are too slaughtery for me and therefore I find the wads to be more enjoyable on HMP, which is still very challenging.

I really like the look of the new HUD and thanks to the wonders of modding a similar one can be used with other wads:
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    ^I like it so much I even use it with BTSX

[​IMG]

Another mod I like to use when I'm not playing with The Violence Weapons mod I mentioned earlier is the Improved Kristian's Smooth Weapon Animations mod.

You can use this mod with BTSX but you'll need another version of the file, check here for the download link and more BTSX mods.

edit:
    That Smooth Fluids mod looks funky, I'll have to try it one of these days:

The lava reminds me of Dungeon Keeper

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    [​IMG]

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - The Waiting.wav

^ Top  
  21. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Astral Rag
    I saw your Doom screenshots in Screenshots Thread, recognize HUD from Alien Vendetta but not weapon pack. I know it was used in other weapons packs or megamods, that's it.

^ Top  
  22. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    MotherMachinae, I extracted those from a nice little wad called Violence. I don't know if the author of that wad created the weapons himself or if he took them from somewhere else. I had and still have never seen them elsewhere.

They don't change the gameplay in any way.

I uploaded the mod here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    • incline incline x 3
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BROS IF THERE WAS A LITTLW BLONDE HAIR BLUE EYED BABY JESUS WATCHING OVER US HE WOULD RIGHT AFTER HE FINISHED GRIMOIRE REWARD EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES SHIT TO THIS THREAD

THANKS FOR THE DOOM NEWS BROS

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    So I decided to give the "Sunder" wad a chance.

No. Just no. When the first monster you encounter is an Arch-Vile you know you're gonna have a bad time. It doesn't get better from there on.

The wad's only saving grace is the architecture, which is pretty cool at times. But playing this is an absolute bitch. It's carefully designed to be as annoying as possible without directly trolling the player.

Endless backtracking.
    Endless monster closets.
    Far too numerous arenas.
    Every arena being locked by a series of buttons, scattered as far apart from each other as possible.

Every damn level is like this. This is not fun at all.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)