Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good games created by few people

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Zed Duke of Banville I'm forced to press you for a response.

While the thread topic is good and informative, I'm noticing that you seem to have an arbitrary set of requirements for a developer to 'make the list'.

Unfortunately you don't seem to have shared those requirements with the rest of us. Otherwise more names of those I brought up would be on your list. I took a little time to research every suggestion, and found that you omitted some names that clearly should be on there.

So spill the beans: How do you decide who makes the cut and who doesn't?

grom

Educated
John D. Carmack
Doom
Rage
Quake Wars
Orcs & Elves
Quake 4
Doom RPG
Doom 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Quake III
Quake II
Doom 64
Quake
Final Doom
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Heretic
Doom II
Doom
Shadowcaster
Spear of Destiny
Wolfenstein 3D
Catacomb 3-D
Commander Keen
Shadow Knights
Rescue Rover 2
Rescue Rover
Hovertank 3D
Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion
Dark Designs III: Retribution
Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons
Slordax: The Unknown Enemy
Catacomb II
Catacomb
Dark Designs II: Closing the Gate
Dark Designs: Grelminar's Staff
Tennis
Wraith: The Devil's Demise
Shadowforge​
Carmack didn't make all (any?) of these games entirely by himself. I'm pretty sure he didn't work on some of them at all.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Home is Where One Starts - David Wehle (He also made The First Tree, but I haven't played it)

To the Moon - Could maybe qualify as 4 people, I'm not entirely sure.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Zed Duke of Banville I'm forced to press you for a response.

While the thread topic is good and informative, I'm noticing that you seem to have an arbitrary set of requirements for a developer to 'make the list'.

Unfortunately you don't seem to have shared those requirements with the rest of us. Otherwise more names of those I brought up would be on your list. I took a little time to research every suggestion, and found that you omitted some names that clearly should be on there.

So spill the beans: How do you decide who makes the cut and who doesn't?
Reasons for exclusion:
1. There are more than four developers in design, programming, and artwork alone, which includes quite a few games suggested
2. It isn't a good game
3. I don't know for certain that it's a good game :M
4. It was already on the list (World of Goo)

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for the honest response.

Sadly I have no course of action but to write you off as 'not knowledgeable' in all things (retro) gaming-related, up to and including you making this thread in the first place. A pity.

You seem to fall into the familiar trap of gaming enthusiasts of 'If I don't know it = It doesn't exist'.

Let me give you a piece of history to give you an idea of your fail: The creation of Manic Miner (1983) and why Matthew Smith was a code god in his prime.

The ZX Spectrum (1982) was the third-generation Sinclair computer, superceding the ZX80 (1980) and the ZX81 (1981). Despite the ZX machines being tiny little things with dozens of quirks and anomalies (rubber buttons, ugh) they were a huge hit... at least in Britain.

The ZX Spectrum was Britain's equivalent to America's Commodore 64 in many ways... but not in every way. One thing the C-64 had over the Spectrum was the SiD chip, a dedicated music processor that helped make the C-64 the legendary 'retro' computer that it is today. The ZX could make noises, but no one in their right mind thought that it was capable of playing music. Fortunately for us, some people didn't get the memo and tried anyway.

Enter Matthew Smith. 17 years old and having an affinity for computers, he started on his Magnum Opus.

He used a TRS-80 to write the game, then ported it back to the ZX. This was a painstaking process requiring perfection down to the byte, but he did it anyway. One thing he did discover along the way was to make the ZX Spectrum play music. Manic Miner was the first ZX game to feature music, it plays the Blue Danube on the title screen, and In the Hall of the Mountain King during gameplay. The thing is, the ZX Spectrum doesn't have a dedicated sound chip, but Smith solved that by having the Spectrum's CPU alternating between playing music and running the game. It sounds stuttery as a result, but the reaction was undeniable. He brought audio to a computer thought incapable of doing it.

That's before you factor in that while Manic Miner is a tough game, it's one of the cornerstones of the Spectrum game catalog, which numbers over 27000 games last time I checked.

And then he went on and made Jet Set Willy (1984), the sequel to Manic Miner. Bigger and better in almost every way compared to its prequel, it sealed Matthew Smith's reputation as the code god of his era, an icon among Spectrum fans, and a repeat offender of Britain's Vice Squad.

This is a 'then vs now' image of Matthew Smith:

m_smith_zps83c16a9e.jpg

He's lost most of his teeth due to substance abuse, he became such a supergod persona in the early 1980s that he burned out in record time. It's amazing that he's actually alive today.

But he made Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy all by himself. Period.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Phoenix wright: Ace attorney. It was developed by seven persons only in ten months. I don't know if the rest of the trilogy (Justice for all, Trials and tribulations) was developed with the same team though.

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld (2015): Charles Clerc & Joseph Caesar, if it's good enough.

End State (still unreleased but it looks good) is also made by a very small team, but i don't remember exactly how many peoples.

Tiospo

Learned
Pac-man - Toru Iwatani
River Raid, 1982 - Carol Shaw
Axiom Verge, 2015 - Thomas Happ
Braid, 2008 - Jonathan Blow
Cave Story, 2004 - Daisuke Amaya
Dust: An Elysian Tail, 2012 - Dean Dodrill
Iconoclasts, 2018 - Joakim Sandberg
Lone Survivor, 2012 - Jasper Byrne
Mainichi, 2012 - Mattie Brice
Papers, Please, 2013 - Lucas Pope
Spelunky, 2008 - Derek Yu
Stardew Valley, 2016 - Eric Barone
Thomas Was Alone, 2012 - Mike Bithell
Undertale, 2015 - Toby Fox

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Choplifter! (1982): Dan Gorlin
Lode Runner (1983): Douglas E. Smith
Saboteur (1984): Clive Townsend
Chaos (1985): Julian Gollop
Paradroid (1986): Andrew Braybrook
Kayleth (1986): Stefan Ufnowski
Rebelstar (1986): Julian Gollop
Laser Squad (1988): Jullian Gollop (mainly)
Lords of Chaos (1990): Julian Gollop
All Scott Adams adventures

Bruce Lee (1984): Ronald J. Fortier, Kelly Day
Adventure (1977): Will Crowther, Don Woods

Below the Root (1984): Dale DeSharone, William Groetzinger, Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Most ZX Spectrum adventures were done by one or two people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom