Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Calling on the combined knowledge of the hivemind. For a long time I've been avoiding Youtube game reviews and general game channels like the plague. Mostly because the few I did see linked here all turned out to be hipster shite or painfully tarded. Seeing how much shit games 'journalism' has become anyway I'm now desperate enough to see if tiny bits of incline can be found on the tube.

So dear codexians, what are the Youtube channels for game reviews, lp's and the like you would recommend? To contribute I can recommend Super Bunnyhop. It got pointed out to me recently and while most of its content don't really interest me they do have the occasional interesting vid.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sure man, no problem, here is the list:

• Brofist x 20
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. 1451 Seeker In My Safe Space

Bro Team Pill Video game reviews for the modern intellectual.

VaatiVidya Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Marbozir, potato that plays turn based strategy games. If you can stand the accent he's pretty good and interesting. https://www.youtube.com/user/Marbozir Found him recently.

Yo Videogames!. Max and Matt play pretty much anything on any console that they find interesting. Mostly older stuff on PS2, Dreamcast, N64 etc.. https://www.youtube.com/user/YoVideogames

Max from the above channel got his own fighting games channel. He's pretty good at em and does a decent job in explaining them. One of my fav channels. https://www.youtube.com/user/Miles923

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. garren Arcane

garren
    I got a few let's play channels gathered in my bookmarks:

A guy with a funny accent plays through old and a few newer games. A lot of nice classics there.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Elanarae/playlists?shelf_id=1&view=1&sort=dd

Another guy with the same idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Kikoskia/playlists

And another:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/GameHorder/playlists

Longplays of a buttload of games, no narrating so you can just enjoy the gameplay:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cubex55/playlists

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    I made some recon jump around threads with recomended channels. Some of them are dead, some upload rarely (because no time) or went full retard. Like you said
    Supergreatfirend - liked it for Virtue Last Reward, unfortunately it was finished yesterday after bunch of updates.
    JeffMajor for tactical games and propably only (low) humour that I could stand. Always make some hueg delays for reasons known to him.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae lot of shit that refresh you, somewhat.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Xeros612 for Stalker stuff. Yeah, I've watching someone playing Stalker mods and I play on my own. I need to stop...
    And Kiko is still unbeatable.

Or fuck that shit and go to http://lparchive.org/

Also - related
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. circ Arcane

circ
    Oirish. Also no personality.
    Same guy.
    No personality. Another voice that puts you to sleep.

I just watch TotalBiscuit mostly for the indie stuff occasionally and form my own opinion.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    Seconding SuperGreatFriend. He's one of those few LP'ers who understands when he should just keep his mouth shut and let the weird as fuck games he plays speak for themselves, on top of going out of his way to show every nook and cranny of the games he plays.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. SoupNazi Arcane Patron

SoupNazi
    Serpent in the Staglands
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Some nice suggestions ITT. Will check some of them out.

I subscribe to:

sexbad (our own sexbad, great at reviews, especially insightful commentary on shooters, sadly not very active anymore)

Super Bunnyhop (you know it yourself, best channel IMO, if for nothing else then the extreme amount of depth George goes to when researching industry trends - his "year in review" and "what happened to THQ" are fantastic)

Sequelitis (sadly defunct now, but fucking hilarious, his megaman review is legendary stuff)

SomecallmeJohnny (Johnny is an awkward, sad, fat consoletard, but he provides (mostly) non-annoying, non-pretensious documentary-style infodumps on games I'll never play, so I use him as my viewport into console games of old)

Errant Signal (motherfucker is pretentious as fuck but he's also very good, and he calls out games like The Last of Us and BioShock: Infinite on their weakest points)

Noah Antwiler (Spooney has been shit for a while now, doing crappy v-logs and boring P&P-tales. Once he was the best god damned riffer of them all though, and sometimes he still drops nuggets of his old self, so I follow him for those. Stay away from anything not review-related.)

I used to subscribe to these, but no longer do:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais: While he is intelligent and is good at research, he makes terrible excuses for games that he likes. He is extremely apologetic and easily carried away. His Arcanum/Bloodlines review is worth a watch though.

MrBTongue: A Tale of Two Companies is fantastic, but his hyperbole and his attempt to make everything a literary reference makes most of his observations on other games worthless. He is best when pondering the strengths and weaknesses of Bioware.

HyperBitHero: There were glimpses of goodness, but ultimately he's too much of an adult teenager.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. circ Arcane

circ
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    Oh, and if you're a Silent Hill fan then Twin Perfect's The Real Silent Hill Experience is a must. Really in-depth look into the series and how it's all gone to shit since Team Silent split up for good.

If you're into ARMA stuff, then I'd definitely recommend CHKilroy's stuff if you're not familiar with him. He doesn't update much anymore, but what is there is pretty gold.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The only YouTube recommendation I have is birgirpall who's gotten somewhat known for doing LBs of games (Let's Break). His activity seems to have dropped lately, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I don't really watch let's plays, but when I do I watch Kikoskia play an old adventure game, usually.

For shorter gameplay vids for purchasing decision help I usually watch a Giant Bomb quick look or a TotalBiscuit video. I don't like those people or agree with their tastes mind you, I just find they usually show the games off well and the options in said games and whatnot.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Well, this thread is unexpetedly productive. Thanks! Some very nice suggestions here.

^ Top  
  21. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

:smug:

Seconding cubex/longplays, however. Browse through the various sections - particularly amiga, mega drive, SNES etc. and you'll find a lot of very interesting, sometimes obscure gems. Most of them are minus commentary, too.

Really, I can't think of ANY jack-of-all-trades gaming channels that are worth subbing too. You either get short-lived humour channels (fitzthistlewitz etc.) OR you get channels devoted to a specific game or series, such as Prince of Macedon/Heir of Carthage et al for Total War, or Epic Name Bro for the Souls games + lore.

^ Top  
  22. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Every time you link to that which must not be named you are accepting the possibility that someone click on it by accident.

In my opinion? That's at least Manslaughter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I'd honestly rather watch 100 HandsomeSwedeWithPiercingEyes videos than 10 Extra Credits.

Also, thirding Spoony's old stuff. I have no real attachment to the Ultima games but his series on them was really good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    When you listen to people talking for hours, you develop some standards.

^ Top  
  25. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    One is a cheater and other is part of EA marketing (for Battlefield) machine, including LevelCap and two other names that I forgot.

And tried TB but despite his efforts (lot of games) he's ignorant, whinny peach.
    Seems like I can only rely on my gaming experience instead of wasting time with ignorants, who call themselfs "critical" when in reality - they gaming experience reach max. ~7? years old games.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)