Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

pippin

Ross from Accursed Farms, the guy behind Freeman's Mind, has a number of channels going on now. In his main channel you guys might want to check his Game Dungeon series, where he reviews often weird and less known games, and also a secondary channel called Dead Game News, where he started to gather info about online only games which were shut down recently as a way to generate buzz against publishers closing down servers for online games.
By the way, the Freeman's Mind series is now complete.

AF https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ6KZTTnkE-s2XFJJmoTAkw

DGN https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8jigea0Ph0pgUgrX5U-Q

Besides that, there's Mentski, brit guy who has a series called One Credit Champ where he would play arcade games from the late 80s and early 90s usng one credit, so when he dies the video is over. He's rather chill, and knows his games. www.youtube.com/user/mentski/videos

Last edited by a moderator:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Someone posted something from Ross' gaming dungeon. The dude is not that bad. I actually found a weird comfort watching his videos. I don't even like watching gaming channels, but I'd say this dude isn't bad. I'd like to see him review Darklands.

pippin

I don't think he's that hardcore though. But I get what you say, it's because he has a very bro aura to him. I like that style, getting relaxed and playing games. That's how it should be.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't think he's that hardcore though. But I get what you say, it's because he has a very bro aura to him. I like that style, getting relaxed and playing games. That's how it should be.
His review on that adventure game where you're a security guard on night watch is super relaxing. Probably my favorite review from his. Not sure why, but I get drowsy watching his reviews, in a good way, mind you.

I also like his review of the Last Stand. He should do an entire sub channel or whatever on reviewing horror games. He seems super legit when he's reviewing horror games; although, he does go on about loving Halloween and shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shamus Young planning to branch out into videos: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32614

Last year I felt like my output was lacking. At the time I said:

I’m going to try to focus on getting back to the style of work I did a few years ago: Long-form, multi-part, deconstructionist nitpicking with the attitude that we nitpick because we love. The recent Fallout 3 analysis was the first of these. Mixed in with that should be some programming posts.​

I’d say this was a solid success. My output is way up. The Mass Effect series is probably the most popular thing I’ve done since DM of the Rings, and the column is better than ever. I did the Mass Effect series, plus I kept up with the weekly column, plus I finished Good Robot,plus I managed to give everyone a few paragraphs of commentary on the Wed-Thu-Fri Spoiler Warning posts. Also, I uploaded more alleged music to my Soundcloud page, which entertained less than a hundred people but shut up I like making this stuff anyway.

The Mass Effect retrospective is being compiled into book form. Maybe that will sell.

Good Robot wasn’t a smash hit, but the income gave us a few months of breathing room.

The Final Fantasy X series is going over well.

We have about nine more months of old Let’s Plays to repost. Those are fun. I don’t know what I’ll do on Sundays when those run out.

I’m pretty confident that my problem is with audience discovery, not retention. I think I’ve got stuff here that people would enjoy if I could get them to read it. The problem is that it’s hard to get people to click on text articles these days. This is not because [insert popular cultural boogeymen here, usually millennials] are all senseless dullards who have lost appreciation for the written word. I think the problem is that the world is awash in unwanted words and think-pieces. Demand is as high as ever, but the signal-to-noise ratio is terrible and finding words that are worth your time is harder than ever. It’s really hard to convince someone, “No seriously, this one is different. Just read some of it.”

Our tools for discovering good videos are a lot better than our tools for discovering good text. Like, when someone shares a video on Twitter, you get a sexy thumbnail and a sense of what you’re in for.

But a text article is usually just a title and a link. There’s less indication of what you’ll get if you click. Youtube has likes and view counts so you can tell if you’re about to see somethingpopular, obscure, infamous.

Videos are a great way to rope new people in. And I think they’re more willing to read the words once they’ve seen a video. But like I said last year, video takes bloody ages. In the time it takes to make one video I could probably write three massive entries like this one. I don’t have the hours to spend on that. I want to make videos to attract people to read the blog, not make videos instead of the blog.

But!

My kids are old enough to get into audio / video editing, and a couple of them have the inclination and aptitude for it. So I’m working on doing some sort of collaboration where I can just do the writing and narration and offload the time-sucking editing onto an assistant. I have no idea if this will work, but it sounds like a fun project. Barring that, it should be educational. My hope is that I’ll be able to do a monthly video, Errant Signal style.

So that’s where your support is going. Thanks for giving. And if you don’t give, thanks for sharing the articles. And even if you don’t share the articles, thanks for reading.

Onward!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody mentioned Tarmack (TheGnomeCast) yet? He does gaming industry news, video essays (called Feature Creep), as well as first impressions and reviews. Sometimes he goes in-depth on technical/legal stuff like the Oculus/VIVE Terms of Service/EULAs and TPP Agreement. I like his slightly ironic and level-headed approach.

Industry news:

Feature Creep:

First Look:

Review:

Cadmus

Arcane
The codex favourite teenager (who says he's in his mid twenties or something actually) just released a new video in which he expects the codex to tell him he's wrong.
WELL, IS HE? YOU TELL ME!

I liked the video. I like that he goes his own way.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"And reddit and the rpgcodex will get on my ass for having the wrong opinion."

People here have tussled with him before? Any juicy details?

Cadmus

Arcane
His favorite Fallout is Fallout 3, didn't need to watch the rest after that point.
It was a sarcastic remark to state that people say Fallout 3 is their favourite game while it's not even a real Fallout game which is an analogy for people saying DX HR is their favourite game while it's a fan fiction of the real DX made by somebody else, jesus fuck why am I defending this guy.

Dunno if anybody tussled him, it's my favourite teenager.

tormund

Arcane
There was actually a discussion about this kind of stuff on Doomworld recently, which was prompted by BD64 being nominated for one of bigger video game awards.
Journos and youtubers keep covering these catchy, gimmicky, parody mods (many of them results of very little effort) because they are easy to cover and bring loads of views. At the same time, bunch of high quality mods, mappacks, conversions are completely ignored by them, and thus are never brought to the attention of wider gaming community which they sorely deserve...

A horse of course

I'm skeptical. Do you really think random gaming blogs would bother covering mappacks and cherry-vanilla mods that are 'merely' superlative representations of the gameplay and presentation of the original titles? Let's be honest, "it's identical to [Really Old Game] but the level design is amazing!" doesn't really interest anyone outside hardcore fans of Doom/Quake etc. You can play a video of Brutal Doom or a major DN3D TC and people who have a passing familiarity with the vanilla game will instantly recognize that they're new and different.

Sure, it happens on very rare occasions. But even if Moonman, Brutal Doom or HDoom didn't exist I doubt Quake modding competitions would get much attenton outside the community.

Axe Father

Savant
The codex favourite teenager (who says he's in his mid twenties or something actually) just released a new video in which he expects the codex to tell him he's wrong.
WELL, IS HE? YOU TELL ME!

I liked the video. I like that he goes his own way.

Agreed.

I started watching this guy because of his MechWarrior retrospectives. I thought they were fairly good, along with his Marathon one. Check them out folks, if you can get past the fact that he sounds like a particularly pretentious thirteen year old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom