Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I'm skeptical. Do you really think random gaming blogs would bother covering mappacks and cherry-vanilla mods that are 'merely' superlative representations of the gameplay and presentation of the original titles? Let's be honest, "it's identical to [Really Old Game] but the level design is amazing!" doesn't really interest anyone outside hardcore fans of Doom/Quake etc. You can play a video of Brutal Doom or a major DN3D TC and people who have a passing familiarity with the vanilla game will instantly recognize that they're new and different.

Sure, it happens on very rare occasions. But even if Moonman, Brutal Doom or HDoom didn't exist I doubt Quake modding competitions would get much attenton outside the community.

^ Top  
  2. Axe Father Learned

Axe Father
    Agreed.

I started watching this guy because of his MechWarrior retrospectives. I thought they were fairly good, along with his Marathon one. Check them out folks, if you can get past the fact that he sounds like a particularly pretentious thirteen year old.

^ Top  
  3. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Well what I got from this thread is that youtubers are either retarded or obnoxious (usually both). Ahoy is legit tho, enjoyed some of his stuff.

^ Top  
  4. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
  5. Jazz_ Magister

Jazz_
    I think the only 2 youtube gamers I'm subscribed to are BlueDrake42 (I still play Project Reality from time to time and he's like a celebrity in that game, I even ended up in his squad a couple of times) and GamingGHD (the dude puts out a lot of content and has an enticing romanian accent). This thread made me discover GGmanlives who seems an interesting fellow, probably gonna subscribe to him too. I absolutely abhor gaming channels that try to make ''comedy'' using vidyagames, as in let's explore all the hilarious bugs/derpy moments in this game, that's a type of humor I find completely retarded.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Obligatory :necro:.

I've been watching the ADG videos. When it comes to setting up DOSBox and finding the proper settings for certain games, he's a godsend. But when it comes to talking about the games he's covering, and what he says about them...good lord. He might as well read from the game's manual. Sometimes he does nothing but harp on about the technical aspects of the game. Sometimes he's all about the controls. Far too often he just recites all the weapons available and how they work in-game. Many of his videos make for good sleeping aides. When he does get a decent mix and balance of talking points, the video is well worth watching, but that's about 1 out of every 20 or so.

What games he chooses to look at is even stranger. Some of the biggest DOS titles ever are either overlooked for the longest time, or outright ignored. (Ultima? SSI RPGs? Never heard of them.) He spends way too much time on shovelware and clones no one cares about anymore. But the worst part is that he decided to make his videos a weekly venture, which is too short a time and therefore impacts the quality of his videos. A far more sensible approach would be to release longer videos at longer intervals that covered more games of a similar fashion. Instead of 3+ videos about crappy Breakout clones, why not just make 1 video that covers all of them?

He's clearly someone who knows way too much about videogames, and does a lot of good research, but he has little to no clue how to get all that information out to the public.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    IIRC he's also disgusting brony.

:timetoburn:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IncendiaryDevice Self-Ejected Village Idiot

Self-Ejected
    I mentioned Bormac the other day in shoutbox and people seemed to like his playlists. I found him about a year ago while looking for hints to the one crappy level in Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic campaign. He has barely any subs but pretty good taste. If I could be so bold as to recommend one of his bad taste playthroughs might I suggest Bad Game Theatre: Garshasp. It'd be great if some of you lot who like youtube gaming vids could go unlock your safe deposit box, retrieve your soul, stuff your sole back in its socket and give this guy some links around the place, I think he deserves some love after years of dedication for so little support. No idea if all his vids are great, but Garshasp alone deserves 100k views at least.

• hopw roewur ne x 8
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 5
    • decline x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. :Flash: Arcane

:Flash:
    That's actually one of the things I like about him. I don't need the 52nd Ultima video. I like hearing about games I have never heard of before, or I just remember existing vaguely. And every once in a while he gets me interested enough in a game to try it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    These guys do great tech analysis and easy for viewers that are not so tech savvy to understand. I really like their channel, and they're unbiased.

Their retro series is pretty great too.

• meh meh x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA

dofrtae mostly reviews crpgs, pretty well done videos and reviews even though the guy isn't the most dynamic and videos can be a tad too long.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister

Game reviews for a true connoisseur

This Ain't No Game:

A critical look at video game based movies, short and funny.

^ Top  
  14. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Bismarc - simulation gameplay stuff combined with history lessons.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Obligatory Fluent's World mention. From Fluent's World him...itself. :dealwithit:

YouTube RPG-focused gaming does not get better than this, that much is clear. Not many people put the amount of effort that I do into my videos. That amount of effort just happens to be close to zero. So my statement is accurate.

:positive:

• Funny x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    I enjoy this guy's videos, and I like that he covers some obscure stuff (you will not find a more in-depth review of the shitty DOS Mega Man game anywhere else). The problems I have with him are:
    1) He is obviously borderline autistic and harps on minor things normal people don't give a shit about.
    2) He is a filthy brony and has some my little pony stuffed animal he made by hand. Normally I wouldn't care but he showed the thing off out of nowhere in some video that was otherwise about DOS games, and all I could think was, that guy made that thing to fuck it.
    2) All his DOSBOX research is for naught as when it comes to music he always just recommends picking Sound Blaster. MT-32 emulation is mature enough (and easy enough) that anyone serious about DOS gaming should be playing these games with MT-32 music. It just triggers me, what can I say.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. dednaem Learned

dednaem
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Any recommendations for good channels on Twitch?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ^ Top  
  21. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    Thank you Abu Antar :P
    Can I recommend WASD20? I did a search and I don't think anybody mentioned him yet, and he's got a lot of interesting stuff in there:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/WASD20Nate

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA

Pretty good channel about games or companies which has died, with quite a lot of research done.

• Thanks! x 4
    • Despair x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    Recently found this guy. He's pretty gud.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, funny but in-depth reviews. Really likes his style.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)