Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Thunar

Educated
Yeah, he sounds like an autistic Jeff Goldblum with a hangover.
I mean, it's either that or Dfortae's death embracing voice and long ass pauses. Not a lot of people review those games. But here's another one just for you.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

What's the consensus on Anderson? Cause it's too long for my taste but considering current situation I might give it a try.
For five minutes skipping a lot.

Thunar

Educated

What's the consensus on Anderson? Cause it's too long for my taste but considering current situation I might give it a try.

I like long videos, so I think he's good. He's very dry and his humor complements that. He's not a funny/"engaging" youtuber like whitelight, indigo, etc. More like Noah Caldwell.
Just analysis and opinions basically. Haven't watched that video yet though.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Untitled.png

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Joe has lots of dry humor in there as usual (to the point where you can see the various comment sections are full of people who take it all at face value). It's been ages since I've played witcher 1 so he almost got me with the fake sex cards :D

Unfortunately, it really is too long imo. He should have cut the introduction part almost entirely (who cares if "witcher" is a weird/made up word), among other things, and he does way too much of that beat-for-beat recap of the game here, it just drags on.
He needs more focus.

This is less of a critique and more of a pseudo let's play commentary on basically the entire game but with too much fluff at the beginning and end.
The structure overall also jumps around when it comes to topics a bit too much.

Also some of the now typical hot takes: Didn't like the combat in BG (among other games) because it takes too long and is too annoying with the order giving etc, but thought that while witcher combat was bad, it contextualizes things without taking too long or something.

He's weird in that regard because he loves doing shit like going through Hollow Knight without upgrading his weapon (thus turning every late-game boss into a ridiculous sponge), same with SoulsBorne and especially in NuGodOfWar he loved being underlevelled while fighting the valkyries (twitch stream)... Which took for fucking ever and was just the same motions over and over and over.
But BG combat is just too annoying for him? Same goes for Silent Hill 2 where he thought the combat was crap iirc (I agree) but it's not like Witcher 1 is better in that regard.

He seems to judge different games inconsistently there, or at least I can't really figure out his thought process on that.

I hope that after this bloated-ass project he goes back to a more normal routine... The Mario video also had problems where he gets too bogged down in justifying himself/documenting evidence that the entertainment value of the vid drops too much in spite of whatever jokes he makes... That's a big difference compared to most of his older vids, save maybe the DS beat-by-beat walkthrough commentaries.
These types of youtubers aren't primarily critics or analysts but entertainers with a 50% critic/analyst bend... So there should be some balance.
I liked Joseph's older stuff better overall, I think, along with most of his short vids.

Can't wait for Mauler to make a 50 hour rebuttal vid and a 500 hour podcast with his furry friends (don't look them up on Kiwi Farms) where he takes Joe's largely harmless and irrelevant hot takes and jokes at face value and out of context in order to be able to pretend that Joe is just the worst, most evil person on the entire planet or whatever.
Some people have Trump Derangement Syndrome, Mauler has Joseph Anderson Derangement Syndrome and it's glorious.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I like long videos, so I think he's good. He's very dry and his humor complements that. He's not a funny/"engaging" youtuber like whitelight, indigo, etc. More like Noah Caldwell.

Calling Noah Caldwell-Gervais funny and/or engaging is a rather interesting opinion ;)
Edit: Totally misread your post in that regard, never mind.

Last edited:

Thunar

Educated

Calling Noah Caldwell-Gervais funny and/or engaging is a rather interesting opinion ;)

I'm saying he's exactly the opposite actually. "He's not like whitelight, indigo, etc, he's just analysis and opinions."
I might have worded it weirdly.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I read a few pages of his novels posted elsewhere. Quite embarrassing and shitty.
No further opinions. I can think of more interesting things to listen to otherwise, I don't take most of what Youtube retards say too seriously.
No, you didn't. That guy just has poor reading comprehension.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

I'm saying he's exactly the opposite actually. "He's not like whitelight, indigo, etc, he's just analysis and opinions."
Nah, my bad, I just realized I misread your post.

Although I don't think Joseph and Noah are really all that similar, tbh.

flyingjohn

Arcane
After watching the video i have only this to say,is that it?
It is a summary of the witcher 1 with his commentary tacked on.It doesn't go in depth on anything.This video handles it much better and is shorter:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
After watching the video i have only this to say,is that it?
It is a summary of the witcher 1 with his commentary tacked on.It doesn't go in depth on anything.This video handles it much better and is shorter:

The student has surpassed his teacher (or inspiration, anyway), at least in terms of strength of analysis vs length.

NeverKnowsBest has some pretty Codexian opinions (he just puts things more nicely than we do) on stuff like Pillars as well, iirc.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Mario video also had problems where he gets too bogged down in justifying himself/documenting evidence that the entertainment value of the vid drops too much in spite of whatever jokes he makes... That's a big difference compared to most of his older vids, save maybe the DS beat-by-beat walkthrough commentaries.

Think it becomes a problem when you make thousands on patreon. Must feel a bit surreal for the maker. I would sure as hell feel the pressure. I always find these Youtube reviewers better when they are not that big, when it's only a passion project. I feel like most of them lose touch after a certain success.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Oh look, another Twitcher 3 hours long long review

even in quarantine I still don't have time for that crap
yet it ended in my sub box
time for some clean up

@up o hey, it's CatSkinCap, he made "How to play level X in Deus Ex" series, good to see he picked another good game.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I don't understand the interest in these super-long review/critique videos. I tried watching some of Joe Anderson's videos and made it about 20 minutes before going to something else. Yeah there's some decent analysis, but it gets too fucking scatological and people end up repeating the same points over and over again in these bible-long essays.

If only these youngsters would spend that mental currency on politics, philosophy, or creating the perfect zero-point energy source.

Thunar

Educated
I don't understand the interest in these super-long review/critique videos. I tried watching some of Joe Anderson's videos and made it about 20 minutes before going to something else. Yeah there's some decent analysis, but it gets too fucking scatological and people end up repeating the same points over and over again in these bible-long essays.

If only these youngsters would spend that mental currency on politics, philosophy, or creating the perfect zero-point energy source.

Having something in the background while you do something else, it's really not made to be watched.

Archibald

Arcane
You could just listen to music or some podcasts instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom