Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Quake maps

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by skacky, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    So, this may not be the perfect fit, since this is the custom Quake thread... but. Episode 4. What happened there?

I have recently replayed the original Quake to give me perspective on the fan levels, and Episode 4 is not very good. The new enemy (spawns) are bouncy lolrandom bullshit. That's one thing. But the main problem is that the level design seems significantly weaker, more basic. There is this repeating motif of a stair made of a bunch of planks that's aggressively newbieish. The elaborate mechanical devices of the earlier episodes are gone, or much downplayed. The level spaces are oversized and empty, huge arena-like corridors or passages that go on forever. The brushwork verges on the primitive.

It feels like a mission pack from a less experienced/talented author, or a prototype full of test rooms that never got properly developed and polished, and instead got shoved into the game at a final moment.

I guess the ramp up in difficulty has upsides; it feels like a good challenge on Hard. But still.

^ Top  
  3. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Sandy Petersen was never good with brushwork and his style is all over the place. Most of his maps for Doom are downright ugly and his Quake maps are no exception here (well, E4M4 is rather cool in some places), but while his maps are an eyesore they have interesting gimmicks, power-ups in the open with interesting strategies and a lot of really devious traps and moments you don't find in any other episode (the receding teleporter, the healing pool, the gauntlet area, the fake water basin). That and the constant onslaught of teleporting monsters make it a very fun episode, as well as the fact that the maps are rather big making navigation quite entertaining with the rocket launcher.

While not my favorite episode by any means (this award goes to episode 3 by a long shot), it is still one I have a lot of fun with.

^ Top  
  4. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    New monster type:

^ Top  
  5. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Are there any missions/mission packs which are similar to Zerstörer? I played the Zerstörer-themed func_mapjam maps, and they were good, but they focused on the gore fountains, and not the desperate, can't see shit, grimy aesthetic of that graveyard level. That level, and even much of the rest, really embodies the fun parts of late 90s map design: there is something special about the combination of a reduced colour palette, the restricted vision, the oddball weapons and the upgraded difficulty. Is there more of that thing in Quakeland?

^ Top  
  6. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Hmm. There is the Zerstörer Turtlemap Pack, but it doesn't have anything similar to the graveyard iirc. Aderlass is a must play though. Warpspasm fits your description as well since it simply has some of the most hostile, evil, desolate and desperate maps done in Quake. The difficulty is very high, the maps enormous and the monster count extreme so it's not for everyone (Nightmare Tangents has 666 monsters on Hard/Nightmare for example). It still is one of my all-time favorite Quake releases to this day, though. A masterpiece.
    A Roman Wilderness Of Pain also features some really evil and desolate maps but it's sometimes even more extreme than Warpspasm.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. tormund Arcane

tormund
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Aye, Tronyn's stuff from Map Jam 2/3 really is something else. Map Jam maps generally tend to be gorgeous, I couldn't stop taking screenshots back when I was first playing thru Map Jam 2.
    skacky's maps in sorta Arabian fantasy style are a sight to behold too (tho, one of them was from the Qonquer map jam, meaning wave based gameplay that wasn't exactly my cup of tea).

^ Top  
  10. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    I have a full-fledged map like this in the works for AD, but I haven't worked on it in quite some time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    [​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    New Retro Jam:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    These old but previously unreleased episodes for Scourge of Armagon look mighty promising as well:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    And Arcane Dimensions 1.5 is out. :incline:

I've been testing the maps these past few weeks and Terror Fuma and Magna Leptis are the highlights imho. The others are remixes of previously released maps but with very welcome updates and AD goodness, so it's a very good reason to play them again.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Astral Rag

Show Spoiler
    All the sound effects are done with triggers inside the map itself.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Just getting back into Quake, been trying out the recent map packs. The Arcane Dimensions pack is amazing, Quake at its finest. Also played through Honey and the Altar of Storms, but they were just okay. Any other must plays?

There's one called Arcanum lololol.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Arcanum is great, and is one of saner later Tronyn episodes as far as the difficulty goes. All of his episodes (or anything he contributed to) are very much worth it, starting with Soul of Evil and Rapture (also, everything by Kona, co-author of Rapture, tends to be fantastic at least as far as visual element goes - his later works play increasingly like Painkiller in Quake). Tronyn is just a master of imposing architecture and horde combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    AD1.5's Terror Fuma map looks nice and has a great atmosphere. I was surprised when
    Show Spoiler
    that aircraft landed above me. I know scripted flying things are possible, e.g. Malice's intro shows a helicopter flying over a city, but it's very rare.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Yeah it was last time in Malice
    I feel old [*pop a bottle*]

^ Top  
  24. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Terror Fuma has the best non-linear layout I've seen in a very long while as far as Quake levels are concerned. You can complete this map in so many different ways. The little tweaks the authors did before the update was pushed really helped make it even better.

^ Top  
  25. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Are there any mods/mission packs with a crossbow weapon?

Arcane Dimensions has enemies with a crossbow, but sadly you can't have it yourself. There's a crossbow weapon in Hexen II, and since many Quake mods are stealing reusing content from it, I guess there's bound to be at least one crossbow mod or too.

I think a crossbow would fit really well into Arcane Dimension's "fantasy" style maps. Eh, I might go and code one myself in QC.

^ Top