Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Quake maps

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by skacky, Dec 12, 2013.

1. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    I noticed you can strafejump away from voreballs, leading them into walls or even packs of enemies causing friendly fire. Other than sniping Vores from a distance, that's the only way you can deal with them to my knowldege.

^ Top  
  2. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Goddamn Arcane Dimesions is good. The level designers produced both Art style AND good gameplay in abundance. Highly recommend.

The only thing I don't like is lack of continuation between maps/all maps being designed for shotgun/axe start, so long-term reward for good resource management and secret hunting is gone, and you can never get comfortable with higher tier weapons, always getting them taken away. Much of the game you'll be using the axe, shotguns and nailgun, with moderate grenade launcher use. Fuck the "pistol start" concept. Difficulty should be designed through other means.

A couple maps stand out as not up to scratch with the rest but overall it's highly impressive.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  3. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
  4. Ash Arcane

Ash
    That was actually one of my favourites. At least in the top ten of AD anyways.

^ Top  
  5. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Ter Shibboleth, the 2017 episode packed with insanely large and detailed maps, is back with Part 2: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61822

• Brofist x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum
    The truth is, Quake gameplay doesn't work particularly well in such maps. The amount of work invested in this could have produced so much better, tighter layouts and geometry.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)