Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Total War mods

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So after a long long time I decided to play either Empire of Medieval 2 Total War, I havent been actually following the modding scene so can anyone recommend me the best mods for those games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there's anyone on the 'dex who knows about TW mods, it's probably me, cause I got almost 50 gigs of TW mods on my HDD.

I'll just quote my post from the Fall of the Samurai thread:

Call of Warhammer: as Ed123 mentioned, it is still rather buggy. Downloading version 1.5 now, the new one, in a torrent (otherwise I'd have to seperately download several parts, ech). I liked 1.4, but it is heavily scripted - you cannot attack your allies, there are scripted battles every few turns depending on which faction you play as, there are scripted enemy invasions (prepare to defend your cities; after a couple of turns you'll be attacked by large enemy armies). Overall it's pretty fun and challenging (read: those scripted invasions will rape you) and I had a good time with it. 1.5 should be less buggy than the previous releases, so you can give it a shot if you don't mind downloading a 5 GB torrent...

Deus Lo Vult: Personally, this is one of my favourites. Adds some new campaign gameplay systems (that are all optional, so you don't have to play with them) like requiring to attain a certain amount of "government points" and "military points" before being able to upgrade your cities and castles. Which I don't like much so I deactivated it, but that's the cool thing about the mod, you can pick features. It's got some very nice "gritty" unit retextures and looks quite gorgeous on the battlemaps, campaign map is sweet too. Americas are open to discover right from the start of the game if you're so inclined. There's also the BB submod (Battlefield Balance, cause originally it only balanced the battles, now it's much more) but read its changelog carefully before using it, it changes a lot of things to be more hardcore and the modder has made some questionable decisions.

Chivalry 2: The Sicilian Vespers: I like that one because it has a good battlefield balance (it's one of the few mods where cavalry charges don't wipe out an entire unit in one go, which is a thing that always makes me rage in mods where it's so overpowered) and some nice additional governmental buildings that greatly influence the city's economy. It also has an interesting unit system, levies are pretty much useless for anything but cannon fodder while heavy cavalry and infantry have fewer soldiers in their regiments but pack quite a punch. It also offers one of the most challenging factions in its grand campaign with the Regnum Cypri. Worth trying out for the battles and for the town management. Very solid mod.

Bellum Crucis: Version 6.3 of this came out recently and I'm enjoying it (and getting raped). Be sure to read the manual before you play this. Also, it's in Italian, but there's a (shitty and still unfinished) English translation out there if you need it (I'm using the mod to improve my rusty Italian, the translation's just too bad, in some places it's obvious that it's google-translated...). The mod is very hard if you play it on hard because there's several scripts that are intended to fuck over the player. It goes up to the point of being rather unfair but I found it to be interesting, especially since it also adds some very great new innovations. There's now technologies that spread and allow new buildings, but you can also discover techs before others do by buildings academys and hiring a new agent type, the scholar. Spies and assassins have different skills depending on whether you recruit them from castles or cities, there's one spy type for example who can steal holy relics and technologies from enemy cities. I'd suggest you to read the manual and then decide whether to download it, cause all the new features are explained in detail. Very good and ambitious mod, totally recommended.

Also:

Third Age: That very popular mod that plays in the LotR universe and is heavily inspired by the movies. It's good. Really good. Latest version has custom city battlemaps, which are all pretty awesome to attack and defend, it has some really good unit balancing (cavalry charges are not instakills, for example... yes, this is my main gripe with most M2 mods and M2 in general), there's some cool scripts and general shenangians that try to convert the game as much as possible into a fantasy game. Very high quality mod, absolutely recommended. It's also very bug free and has the latest Really Bad AI implemented, which improves AI reactions on the battlemaps. Very recommended.

Rusichi: Try this if you want something completely different. Very atmospheric campaign with some very different gameplay ideas to vanilla TW or the majority of mods. In the beginning the game is quite slow, you build up your cities and villages, try to take some rebel settlements. Then come some scripted quests which are really cool, like having to help a Byzantine pretender to take a settlement and being rewarded handsomely if you succeed. The game is really hard, though - the quests have really hard battles connected with them, and you'll be in some money troubles early on, and once you feel safe and think it's going well, the Mongols come and fuck your shit up. It's a very different experience from your usual Total War games, and it's really enjoyable. Recommended.

1648: It's still a little rough around the edges and you might want to wait till the next major patch, but if you like pike and shot, you should try this mod. It's made by Germans and the translation isn't fully done yet so understanding Übermensch is a definite plus when you want to play this. The map is pretty large, maybe too large for some people (personally I found the choice to make capital regions gigantic and filled with permanent forts instead of making multiple regions out of them slightly weird), it has a lot of new buildings and new units, nice atmosphere, the battles are quite fun even though the AI cannot properly into pike and shot. For fans of the era, it's a definite recommendation, especially once they've ironed out all the bugs with the next major patch cause currently some of the features don't work properly yet. Non-Germans have to wait for the translation anyway.

For Empire:

Darthmod Ultimate Commander: This certainly is the most popular Empire mod, and with good reason. All the people who complain about Darth planting his little Darth Vader schtick everywhere can shut up because he just appears in the launcher and in the intro videos (basically just replacing the SEGA and CA logos with his own) while the game is completely free of Darth Vader. The mod adds some new units, dramatically increases unit size, and generally rebalances the entire combat system to make it a lot more fun. Really, going back to vanilla Empire you'll see what a huge difference it makes and how superior the new system is. The mod also improves both campaign and battle AI and makes some campaign map rebalances that some people might find dubious (like making every ship able to trade on trade route spots) but they're supposed to help the AI (cause the AI uses lots of normal ships instead of trade ships on trade spots, so he used it as a workaround to make AI trading more effective). Overall, this mod improves Empire from the "meh" that was vanilla to "pretty solid". Use the Causa Belli submod to give minor nations some unique units and make them playable. Then play as a nation such as Bavaria, Venice or Persia to get an actual challenge.

There's some more Empire mods that might be worth playing which I haven't tried yet, such as the American Revolution mod and the Civil War mod (for which I'm waiting for the next major version that implements an America-centered campaign on the Warpath map). There are several more Medieval 2 mods that I either haven't tried yet, or where it's been too long ago since I played them and haven't tried the latest version. I'll keep you updated when I play new mods that I can recommend.

For Rome, there can be only one...Europa Barbarorum.

For Medieval Total War (The original)...XL mod with Tyberius addon. These used to be in one, easy download, but the two had a dummy spit so you have to download and install each seperately.

oscar

Arcane
Wow that Rusichi mod sounds awesome. Sort of like Total War: Russia with elements of Crusader Kings and King Arthur thrown in.

Deakul

Augur
Did that ancient feudal Japan mod for M2TW ever see the light of day? I forgot the name of it but I think there were only 2 in production.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Broken Crescent for M2TW is so far the best mod I have ever seen, not only in TW series, but in general. It has it's unique and great atmosphere which sets it above all other mods. It focuses on middle east, every country has it's own music, atmosphere, units and usually plays totally different (more than in vanilla or SS, where you just had few unique units and apart from that you couldn't see the difference between Germany and Egypt). The only mod that came close to it's awesomeness was Europa Barbarorum for Rome TW, but it has never been finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom