Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good turn-based strategy games for ancient (Alexander & earlier) battles?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've been reading a lot of ancient history lately, and it's gotten me itching to take some slingers and charioteers and crush some illiterate barbarian hordes.

Any suggestions for good turn-based games that cover this era of warfare? Also, I'm more interested in a pure combat title instead of something where you have to manage the economy/politics of your empire as well.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah... good luck. There aren't many good games set in Ancient Greece and China. It seems that games set in the west will be Roman-era, and in the east it will be 3 kingdoms (any game that says "warring states" is probably referring to Japan). Or, you know, they'll just make another WW2 game.

I remember Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great being a lot of fun, although it's been almost a decade since I last played it.

Hegemony Gold has really repetitive gameplay, but it has two campaigns which follow the Peloponnesian War and Rise of Macedon very closely. I enjoyed it at the time.

Alea Jacta Est is an Ageod game, so if you like Ageod then check it out. The base game is obviously set post-Alexander, but it gets honourable mention because it has a campaign about a King Pyrrhus invading Italy.

Speaking of Pyrrhus and Hegemony, Hegemony III has an expansion which is based on that same period. I haven't played it, need a new pc I think.

Slitherine made a game called Sparta which is kind of a 4x in ancient greece. It's a bit shit, really. They made a similar game set in an earlier period, too.

Slitherine's Fields of Glory was fun back in the day. There was a decent sized online community (single player was total shit), and it is a very fast paced and light battle simulator. No campaign mode.

HPS gaming made a bunch of titles set in the period. I hate them, mostly because of the god awful interface and graphics.

On GOG there's the Great Battles collection. It's p good, go get it if you like the look of it. Only $6 now, and I'm sure they'll eventually have a sale where its even cheaper.

There's a game in early access on steam right now set in Ancient China. It's a 4x, it shows some promise but I wouldn't say it's good yet. If you really like civilization then go get it.

Take a peek at Apotheon, too. It's a platformer, but if you like ancient greece you might be interested. Curse of Issyos is another platformer.

If we're going down the mythology road, then Populous II has a strong greek theme. It's also the best Populous title, and an awesome game in general. The city-builder Zeus and Poseidon is good, too.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Chariots of War. Not that good, but you can play as anything from Scythians to bronze age Egypt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom