Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

HEKE

Educated
Oh yeah, and like others have already said, I'm looking forward to Stadia becoming the next OnLive. Unless, of course, if Google has researched some secret tachyon technology.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The way I see it it's not going to be a subscription device.
You will buy the game on their store and play it "at will".

Now, I would be totally okay with it if they find a way to do this : buy the game on Steam/GOG, play it on their subscription service while still being able to keep a copy. Or maybe they have a client where you can download your game "extra" though it's not the main way of playing it. If they do this, I'm 100% behind it. I use PS NOW, but I take only joy knowing it's games that I _RENT_ not buy and that there is an alternative (physically own the game, even as files on a hard drive).

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
3:56 - "When the player gets stuck, instead of grabbing a laptop or a phone, they just need to push the button on the Stadia controller to get help from the Google Assistant..."

Maybe 2nd gen Stadia will have a level or boss skip button, or even a button that switches a game to "cutscene-only" mode with occasional button prompts.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This is just an elaborate plan to better monetize the type of people watching Let's Plays on youtube.
Doesn't this turd have a skip button? Hamburger's dream of a gameplay free game has finally arrived. Finally women will get to enjoy all the virtual homosex they can get their hands on without pesky gameplay that requires mansplaining getting in the way.

I am genuinely embarrassed on Google's behalf for even trying to go through with this dumpster fire.

deama

Prophet
I can see this working really well for mmos or already online only games.

Trithne

Erudite
I can't wait to see this in the wild, when it's running on hundreds of devices concurrently and someone is trying to play Assassins Creed on a connection made of bailing twine and a tin can.

J1M

Arcane
Confession: I didn't watch the presentation until today.

Obviously, offloading heavy rendering tasks to server farms makes sense from an economic standpoint. The telling part of the presentation is that they did not discuss input latency, even in comparison to wireless console controllers. If they had that solved, they would be talking about it. Most likely, they are expecting developers to hide the input latency via game concessions until they have a better answer.

Ironically, the input lag they didn't discuss is also the primary reason anyone would want to buy their controller. Talking directly to the server over wifi means one less box to jump through, and a reliable enough way of measuring how much input lag there is that can be exposed to the game via an API. (Controller can record time of press and a ping from the server indicating confirmation.)

sser

Arcane
Developer
I actually think this is probably the future of gaming.

The far future.

After the nukes and rebuilding stage and we're all in our little Rat King fiefdoms.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
This is another part of the jews' plans to put you under their information net and know everything about you at every second of the day. What game was little Johnny playing for the past 25 minutes? How can we improve advertising with this information or discredit wh*te nationalists by showing that they have been playing violent video games?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Streamer girls more than streamer men in the video - check.
Two boxer fighers are women - check.
Anti-utopian steaming shit - check.

And this is what Google recommends me after I watched their presentation: https://youtu.be/91fD9l8a42I?t=3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom