Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly don't think 4k even matters. Compression artifacts are the bigger deal holding back image quality. Running in 4k 60 FPS would not look like a real 4k 60 FPS game or a 4k 60 FPS youtube video, it will look like an old poorly encoded youtube video with the usual telltale problems. It's especially noticeable as soon as you are looking at video in motion rather than comparing still images.

Gamer's Nexus showed in some videos that they do the "soft filter pass" on the video feed to hide compression, like a lot of streaming video sites do. You're right that even if the games rendered at 4k that would likely kill the feel of 4k anyway. That might be why they run the games at 1440p, because why bother paying for better? Though in a world sprinting to streaming video and tossing Blu-rays out with the bathwater, I don't know if people actually care.

I don't think I'm wrong that streaming is the eventual future, but MAN it's wonderful how fast Stadia fell off the face of the earth, media coverage and hype wise.

I'm learning of Stadia for the first time today, and I agree. I think at this point we've had so many attempts at this crap that everyone is prepared to accept that its shit and dump it immediately. People were mildly interested that Google was somehow a company of super geniuses with super tech that could fix every problem that was had before. No, turns out they are just a regular company who got rich ruining the internet and selling your personal information to everyone from the FBI to China.

I must admit, I enjoy it when Google fail. I want Google to fail. To me they, and companies like them are everything wrong with the world; the hype, the bullshit, the politics. Their self driving cars, their "AI", their streaming services, their spyware malware curated internet, their bullshit interview questions that every tech company feel they have to copy. The world would be so much better if Google just went bankrupt.

I'm doing my part by using Firefox. Me and 5% of others will one day take down Goooglezilla!

Firefox and Duckduckgo.

And I badmouth Google to everyone at work who look at me like a crazy. But these are people who watch TED talks at lunch and hold discussions about how we have a social responsibility for ethical AI.
Its ok though - I don't work there anymore.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm doing my part by using Firefox. Me and 5% of others will one day take down Goooglezilla!

Firefox and Duckduckgo.

And I badmouth Google to everyone at work who look at me like a crazy. But these are people who watch TED talks at lunch and hold discussions about how we have a social responsibility for ethical AI.

People watching TED talks are all retards by default, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think I'm wrong that streaming is the eventual future, but MAN it's wonderful how fast Stadia fell off the face of the earth, media coverage and hype wise.

I'm learning of Stadia for the first time today, and I agree. I think at this point we've had so many attempts at this crap that everyone is prepared to accept that its shit and dump it immediately. People were mildly interested that Google was somehow a company of super geniuses with super tech that could fix every problem that was had before. No, turns out they are just a regular company who got rich ruining the internet and selling your personal information to everyone from the FBI to China.

I must admit, I enjoy it when Google fail. I want Google to fail. To me they, and companies like them are everything wrong with the world; the hype, the bullshit, the politics. Their self driving cars, their "AI", their streaming services, their spyware malware curated internet, their bullshit interview questions that every tech company feel they have to copy. The world would be so much better if Google just went bankrupt.
I don't care about Stadia, but I like Google's services. Gmail, Google Maps, Google Translator, Google search, Youtube. Come at me bro!

I don't care about Stadia, but I like Google's services. Gmail, Google Maps, Google Translator, Google search, Youtube. Come at me bro!

You do realize that Google has brought most those apps and then monetized them? Nowadays there is no reason to be using an app that sells your private data for profit and political manipulation as there are plenty of other options available.

How do you feel about that?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You do realize that Google has brought most those apps and then monetized them? Nowadays there is no reason to be using an app that sells your private data for profit and political manipulation as there are plenty of other options available.

Let's see:
Gmail - It is my primary email for more than a decade, it is registered with banks, and state sites, also a lot of websites. I'm sure as hell I won't change it now, so I have to contact the banks and other organizations.
Youtube - Yeah, it has a lot of BS for content creators, but it is the biggest platform, and you can't watch that content anywhere else.
Google maps - If there is another mapping application with the same detail and GPS capabilities, tell me, and I will gladly use that instead.
Google translator - I'm sure there are other translator apps, but since I only use this once in a blue moon, I never assed myself to look for an alternative. But if there is another, better site, tell me and I will check it out.
Google search - The main culprit I guess. There are great alternatives, but again, convenience wins here and never had any problem with it.

You do realize that Google has brought most those apps and then monetized them?
I'm sure they bought most of these, but as for monetization, I never payed a cent for using them.

Nowadays there is no reason to be using an app that sells your private data for profit and political manipulation as there are plenty of other options available.
I've listed the reasons above. As for selling my private data, it's concerning, but if you think companies don't get your data anywhere else, when we are constantly connected online, you are deluding yourself. This is how it is unfortunately, with Facebook, with Microsoft or any sites.

Let's see:
Gmail - It is my primary email for more than a decade, it is registered with banks, and state sites, also a lot of websites. I'm sure as hell I won't change it now, so I have to contact the banks and other organizations.
Youtube - Yeah, it has a lot of BS for content creators, but it is the biggest platform, and you can't watch that content anywhere else.
Google maps - If there is another mapping application with the same detail and GPS capabilities, tell me, and I will gladly use that instead.
Google translator - I'm sure there are other translator apps, but since I only use this once in a blue moon, I never assed myself to look for an alternative. But if there is another, better site, tell me and I will check it out.
Google search - The main culprit I guess. There are great alternatives, but again, convenience wins here and never had any problem with it.

I'm sure they bought most of these, but as for monetization, I never payed a cent for using them.

Nowadays there is no reason to be using an app that sells your private data for profit and political manipulation as there are plenty of other options available.
I've listed the reasons above. As for selling my private data, it's concerning, but if you think companies don't get your data anywhere else, when we are constantly connected online, you are deluding yourself. This is how it is unfortunately, with Facebook, with Microsoft or any sites.
It doesn't have to be that way. I use duckduckgo for searches and firefox also. For gps google maps is a sick joke, I would only use proper satnav mapping. Even OSM is better than google maps.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Let's see:

It doesn't have to be that way. I use duckduckgo for searches and firefox also. For gps google maps is a sick joke, I would only use proper satnav mapping. Even OSM is better than google maps.
I use firefox as well since forever. I heared duckduckgo is good, but not transitioned yet. As for google maps, I don't know where are you living, but at my place it is great. Precise, fast, I only had one problem with it in the last couple of years. I'm not a Fed Ex courier who has to have the most reliable, advanced satelite GPS, Google Maps is perfectly adequate for navigating in the city once in a while, or between cities.

If nothing else use duckduckgo over google search. Google are watching and censoring you via their search. Watch youtube by proxy or hidden. Google maps is dated and imo dangerous. I've yet to get it working properly. Its routing is also shyte. Anyway just my experience as I live in an underdeveloped country.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think you can avoid Google a good bit and try to use other programs without being completely anal about it and going overboard. Google would have to open some concentration camps for me to give up using my Roku's Youtube app with subscriptions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You fucking pleb. Why aren't you using a leica GPS station with centimeter precision?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Let's see:
I'm hooked to Google like you, mostly for Gmail. Been a user since day 1, not as obvious to change now.

But for translation, you can use DeepL Translator. It's actually better. Same guys that do Linguee, a language-to-language translation dictionary, which has the useful feature of showing you actual sentences in which the word / expression has been translated by humans.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Let's see:
I'm hooked to Google like you, mostly for Gmail. Been a user since day 1, not as obvious to change now.

But for translation, you can use DeepL Translator. It's actually better. Same guys that do Linguee, a language-to-language translation dictionary, which has the useful feature of showing you actual sentences in which the word / expression has been translated by humans.
That's a neet translator, thanks for telling me about it. I guess I will use this in the future. :)

just

Liturgist

Firefox and Duckduckgo.

this
also root the phone, remove all things google and use fdroid
one day we're gonna make it

Norfleet

I don't use anything Google. I don't even google with Google, because anytime I try to use a Google product, they call me a bot, say my activity is suspicious, and tell me to fuck off. Even if I wanted to use Google anything, AND I DON'T, I couldn't.

On the upside, the fact that they seem to think I am suspiciously unidentifiable at least means they can't seem to track me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One of the comment nails it - it's Google, what did ya'll expect?

Google has never known competition. All their major products - the search, Gmail, Youtube, Maps, Android - are effectively monopolies. And so inevitably Google behaves like a government bureau. You can see the managers thinking "running this company would be so much easier without the pesky customers". That's the quintessential bureaucrat mentality.

Garbage

Learned
One of the comment nails it - it's Google, what did ya'll expect?

Google has never known competition. All their major products - the search, Gmail, Youtube, Maps, Android - are effectively monopolies. And so inevitably Google behaves like a government bureau. You can see the managers thinking "running this company would be so much easier without the pesky customers". That's the quintessential bureaucrat mentality.

The moment they ever encounter any actual competition they drop their products harder than my parents dropped me when I was a baby.
Anyone remember how much Google Glass was going to change everything? Still waiting on that...

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm amazed by the number of people who have no idea what DRM-Free means on Reddit threads. Says a lot about the current gen of gamers and their concept of game ownership, which is basically NIL. Older generation of gamers who are against the idea of streaming will just fade into the shadows pretty quickly and I'm really afraid the majority of younger gamers will normalise streaming in the years to come. Fuck them all.
Reminder that if it requires a proprietary OS to play it then it's not drm free

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom