Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Still i do put my shit on a storage HDD,so i kind off own the shit. You have to shank me to take it away.

But you do recognize you paid once for that stuff (or not at all in your case), and you don't need to pay someone monthly to keep accessing it... yes?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It is not about DRM per se,but more about ownership.

That just leads down an endless hole of semantics since you never technically "owned" media, even on disc. Think more along the lines of access... pay once for perpetual access, versus pay monthly for limited access.
This is false and will never hold up in any court of law. That media on disk like a movie, song, or game is something you own a copy of. No one in history has ever been retarded enough to believe "owning" something like a game means that you now have discretion over the IP and source code. But your copy, you can do whatever you want with it, you can reverse engineer it even. What you can't do with it is violate intellectual property rights and copyright by redistributing it to others or use it in your own products. Those who perpetuate the falsehood "you don't own nothing goy!" are disingenuous, either maliciously or naively.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What's the matter Dexter? Did I hurt your feelings because I don't want to give money to the best company in the world that saved PC gaming?
Yeah, I'm sure Valve are the best people in the world and they would never take away your games from you and in case they go out of business they'll release cracks for all the thousands of games that are on their platform because that's how it works. :lol:
Sorry, retard, Steam is shit and Steam is the reason for the existence of all other shit digital services including Epic.
Yes, if it wasn't for Steam it would've likely been something else that started it, but as it is, it's Steam so fuck Steam and fuck steamtards. You all deserve to be fucked by these digital services. Even those that go "b-but Steam is the least worst of all, I just take the least worst option"
And the more services that show up with exclusives the more I will laugh.

But you do recognize you paid once for that stuff (or not at all in your case), and you don't need to pay someone monthly to keep accessing it... yes?

So? If the fee includes all games and you don't have to pay for each game separately, what's the big deal? It's like getting a netflix subscription vs "buying" the movies on other services. It's especially good if you're one of those that buys tons of games. Then you could have the subscription on all the time and you'll probably end up cheaper.

That just leads down an endless hole of semantics since you never technically "owned" media, even on disc.
There's semantics in that only if you're a moron.

abija

Prophet
You do realize if steam failed you would have some google/m$/apple "monopoly" instead of it or even worse a mix of those? Publishers were already drooling at the benefits of something like bnet accounts and looking for ways to separate ownership from the source you buy it on.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You do realize if steam failed you would have some google/m$/apple "monopoly" instead of it or even worse a mix of those?

Yes, I do. I actually said in that post that if it wasn't Steam it would've likely been something else. But it was Steam.

And whichever it is, it's the same shit for me. Any of those you mention wouldn't in any way be worse as far as I'm concerned. DRM clients are all cancer and I'm not touching any of them, no matter what "awesome and gamer loving" companies like Valve do them.

And you know the funniest bit? It wouldn't have made any difference for you either. You wouldn't have known any better. If say Microsoft started it and only had a bare-bones client like Epic then that's what you'd have known and thought it was the best thing ever. And Steamtards would've instead been Microtards defending Microsoft who would've totally not been a monopoly but a market leader because they totally got there with the quality of their services not because they were alone on the market for years and thus swallowed the whole market. And Steam, if it arrived later, would've been the Epic of today accused of "dividing the market".
In other words, tards are tards, no matter the prefix.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
So the fact that Valve got their product better and better instead of fucking over the forced customers while they chase other markets makes no difference. Mkay...

Dexter

Arcane
What's the matter Dexter? Did I hurt your feelings because I don't want to give money to the best company in the world that saved PC gaming?
The problem is that only because you hallucinate something and state it full-throatedly in your state of self-righteous butthurt doesn't automatically make it "The Truth".

But we've been over this in another thread at length, feel free to peruse it again: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...le-of-digital-games-valve-will-appeal.129830/

Suffice to say, what you're rambling about is neither factually nor legally true.

https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-03-consumers-can-resell-downloaded-games-rules-eu

That just leads down an endless hole of semantics since you never technically "owned" media, even on disc.
There's semantics in that only if you're a moron.
The first true thing that has been said here over the last few pages. The problem is that what you're arguing about Digital Downloads is equally moronic. Just because a contract says a Purchase is actually a Subscription doesn't make it so. Similar to how a Purchase that states you only buy a "license" that can't be resold doesn't make it so: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant.shtml

This is false and will never hold up in any court of law. That media on disk like a movie, song, or game is something you own a copy of. No one in history has ever been retarded enough to believe "owning" something like a game means that you now have discretion over the IP and source code. But your copy, you can do whatever you want with it, you can reverse engineer it even. What you can't do with it is violate intellectual property rights and copyright by redistributing it to others or use it in your own products. Those who perpetuate the falsehood "you don't own nothing goy!" are disingenuous, either maliciously or naively.
The very same thing is true for Digital Downloads on either GOG, Steam or the Epic Store from a legal standpoint (at least in most regions outside the US).

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
And you know the funniest bit? It wouldn't have made any difference for you either. You wouldn't have known any better. If say Microsoft started it and only had a bare-bones client like Epic then that's what you'd have known and thought it was the best thing ever.
Microsoft has XBox Live, and maybe if you think back there was something called "Games for Windows Live", which existed under 2 years after Steam decided to sell third-party titles on their Storefront and was largely rebuked by PC players:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/games-for-windows-live-is-now-free
https://www.slashgear.com/games-for-windows-live-marketplace-closing-next-week-16293962/
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/19/games-for-windows-live-shutting-down-in-2014
https://www.howtogeek.com/244902/why-pc-gamers-hated-microsofts-games-for-windows-live/

In other words, tards are tards, no matter the prefix.
Wow, you managed to speak another truth, this is an amazing accomplishment for you. Although it's hard to imagine you will grasp how ironic what you've said is given your butthurt tirades in here.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Dude, I'm on your side with the DRM stuff. My point was the language is a technicality. I don't know why you're obsessed with debating DRM with someone who agrees with you 100% on the issue. Again... the point is about payment models. Pay once for access, or pay continually for access. I don't know how the fuck else to say this.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Dude, I'm on your side with the DRM stuff. My point was the language is a technicality. I don't know why you're obsessed with debating DRM with someone who agrees with you 100% on the issue. Again... the point is about payment models. Pay once for access, or pay continually for access. I don't know how the fuck else to say this.
And I already admitted on the other page that subscription differs in costing more (due to repeat payments to constantly refresh your rental), versus a one time payment to rent (which is the model of drm stores). As well as not having the option to get a digital paperweight of software that doesn't do anything thanks to DRM if the provider decides to shut you off. Money is a smaller issue than any option but DRM free being effectively the same in that you can't freely use the good provided independent of the provider. And the requirement of having the extensive software programming education necessary to reverse engineer and crack every DRM product you purchased is an entirely unrealistic expectation of the average customer. In the end, I rightly spare no efforts in criticizing the single most cancerous aspect of digital distribution, but in my cynical outlook it doesn't really matter anymore because the door has been held wide open for over a decade with the average person selling freedom for convenience. DRM exists solely to affect paying customers and I don't have it in any products I own because if no one is willing to sell me the DRM free products I ask for, I will obtain the DRM free products elsewhere, usually for free since they aren't being sold.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And I already admitted on the other page that subscription differs in costing more (due to repeat payments to constantly refresh your rental), versus a one time payment to rent (which is the model of drm stores).

Then one wonders why your response to "man subscriptions are gonna suck when they rule everything" is to constantly shout "HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT DRM BRO?" You just did it again above. Yes, DRM is bad for consumers. I know that, but the vast majority don't give it a shit. It is what it is. Switching to subscription payment models is a new decline.

I feel like I'm on the fucking GOG forum where everyone has one track minds.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
And I already admitted on the other page that subscription differs in costing more (due to repeat payments to constantly refresh your rental), versus a one time payment to rent (which is the model of drm stores).

Then one wonders why your response to "man subscriptions are gonna suck when they rule everything" is to constantly shout "HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT DRM BRO?" You just did it again above. Yes, DRM is bad for consumers. I know that, but the vast majority don't give it a shit. It is what it is. Switching to subscription payment models is a new decline.

I feel like I'm on the fucking GOG forum where everyone has one track minds.

I understand the payment model of subscriptions but the defining factor for me of subscriptions has always been that you don't own/can't use the thing without getting permission from the seller to constantly check up on you. Cost is a simple issue. Freedom is priceless.

abija

Prophet
Tried GFNow with 20ms latency in Quake Champions, felt nausea in less than 1min. Meanwhile tons of enthusiastic posts about how well Destiny works with hotel rooms wifis and the like from both stadia and gfnow... Either shilling is levels ahead of what I imagine or I'm just too old for this shit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's like arguing whether cake or sorbet is better for you and someone keeps screaming "they're both desserts!" It's like... okay, but so fucking what?
But which is better?!

This is a more interesting question than "when is google going to kill stadia" at this point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorbet is better for you, probably. Less sugar per serving, I would imagine.

That was the point, they're both technically desserts but very different when it comes to health. Steam and Gamepass are both technically subscriptions, but very different when it comes to how they charge you for access.

cosmicray

Savant
We’re facing some of the most challenging times in recent memory. Keeping social distance is vital, but staying home for long periods can be difficult and feel isolating. Video games can be a valuable way to socialize with friends and family when you’re stuck at home, so we’re giving gamers in 14 countries free access to Stadia Pro for two months.

Anyone who signs up will get two free months of Stadia Pro with instant access to nine games, including GRID, Destiny 2: The Collection, and Thumper. You can purchase even more games on the store, which will remain yours to play even if you cancel your Stadia Pro subscription. If you’re already a paid Stadia Pro subscriber, we won’t charge you for the next two months.
https://www.blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today/

Codex Year of the Donut
I thought this was like microsoft pass or something where it came with a bunch of games
you have to buy the games individually? lmao

going to go out on a limb and guess you lose access to the games you ""bought""(rented) after your subscription expires, right?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The list of games included in Stadia Pro is pathetic. Pathetic as in "sad". It's so far out of Google's ambitions.

• Destiny 2: The Collection
  • GRID
  • Gylt
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
  • Serious Sam Collection
  • Spitlings
  • Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
  • Thumper

This is turning to be into an expensive joke. For Google.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom