Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 1,any hints and mods?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey guys just decided to play Gothic 1 before ELEX comes out. The controls are the worst i have ever seen in my live. Is there any mods that you would recommend? Also range combat good for anything?

boot

Prophet
Hey!

Ranged combat is good for the beginning when you're weak, I guess. I wouldn't put too many points into it, but it won't ruin your build if you do. 1st playthroughs are always sub-optimal, anyway. Whining about the controls is a strange thing to do. All games have different control schemes/UI setups... I have never played a Gothic mod ever, I didn't even know they existed. You must be a really hip dude, to even think about that, I mean!

Unwanted

CruduxCruo

Unwanted
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
i assume you've already had to install the SystemPack to get the game running properly in the first place?
a tip, use the bloodfly transformation scrolls when you get to the later parts of the game where you have to do a lot of tedious running back and forth

Last edited:

Kahr

You'll learn the controls in 2 hours. No mods needed. Range combat can be useful, but not in the beginning.
Just get one-handed weapons 1 and 2 and 40 strength for a smooth start.
Game just becomes easier and easier then.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is there no way to make the controls like Gothic 2? This is the first game i have see where you use a bunch of combos to pick a thing from the ground. Is there any way to key map the use key for mouse 1?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is there no way to make the controls like Gothic 2? This is the first game i have see where you use a bunch of combos to pick a thing from the ground. Is there any way to key map the use key for mouse 1?

I struggled with Gothic's controls for a long time, but it gets easier if you are willing to get used to them as opposed to resisting. Eventually it becomes second nature. In regards to combat, the control scheme makes it look like you are shit at fighting, but in reality you are shit because of your character's skills.

mbv123

Arbiter
Gothic is one of those games where it's so satisfying to become from a literally who weak faggot, to an uber powerful demi god.
Like that time when you first arrive at New Camp and get bullied by Rice Lord into becoming his slave, bringing water to everybody, each day and if you refuse, he beats the shit out of you, then you come back later when you're leveled and beat the shit out of his gang and have him literally cowering in fear everytime he sees you.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Gothic is one of those games where it's so satisfying to become from a literally who weak faggot, to an uber powerful demi god.
Like that time when you first arrive at New Camp and get bullied by Rice Lord into becoming his slave, bringing water to everybody, each day and if you refuse, he beats the shit out of you, then you come back later when you're leveled and beat the shit out of his gang and have him literally cowering in fear everytime he sees you.
Soooo typical PB game. I have played and love them all,except Gothic 1. I just decided that it is time to change that error. I managed to kill a few rats and scavengers,and i am getting used to the controls. Still they are the worst i have seen in my live. By the way is hunting skills like in the other games?

Ivan

Arcane
I played Gothic 1 & 2 for the first time in 2016. Once you get used to the controls (1-2 hours). Enjoy the world. My best advice: know your place! If you're doing fetch quests, don't go shooting up the higher ups. Also, Gothic 2 is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've EVER had. you're in for a good time

Baron Dupek

Arcane
At first Gothic controls remind Tomb Raider tanky Lara control. With exception that Lara is far more mobile with this control scheme that our character can't even dream.
Ranged is not worth much time, might pick crossbows later but at that time you will sweep the floor with most enemies.
Remember to pick one enemy at time.
Hunting? Don't think it's worth time and money (and skillpoints), you will swim in cash p. fast even without knowing secret place full of free loot.

Kahr

If you have finished G2 NotR you shouldn't have any problems with G1 as it's far easier.
Waste a few lp here and there. When you get stuck kill a few critters and skill in combat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just found out that it have the same glitch,where you save inside a house and then load the save and the guards ignore you.I am level 0 and already have 1000 ore :) . Also the combat seems to be "nuke the bastard before he begins to run around hitting you" . As long as the enemies don't mover around too much,the combat is fine.

Unwanted

CruduxCruo

Unwanted
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
you can just knock people down and take their shit if you don't feel like paying for it. it does completely break the game though.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
You'll learn the controls in 2 hours. No mods needed. Range combat can be useful, but not in the beginning.

If you're going melee, wouldn't it be more economical to only get one-handed weapons to level 1, save the cost of level 2, and just coast along until you can start learning two-handed ones? It saves you some points you will never, EVER use once you get a two-hander.

Kahr

If you're going melee, wouldn't it be more economical to only get one-handed weapons to level 1, save the cost of level 2, and just coast along until you can start learning two-handed ones? It saves you some points you will never, EVER use once you get a two-hander.
Dunno, maybe too spoilery:
You can easily finish the game with Scars Sword, which you can get in the first chapter.
Better two-handed weapons usually come a lot later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Dunno, maybe too spoilery:
You can easily finish the game with Scars Sword, which you can get in the first chapter.

Guess that's true. On the other hand, if you take those points you'd spend on one-armed 2 and invest them in strength instead, you'll reach the highest trainable level, 100, that much sooner. And if you've saved all the strength-enhancing potions, you can THEN quaff them and get absolutely brutal.

More than one way to skin a cat, I guess.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can also bait temple guard in the mine to chase you in the chamber with broken machine and spare cog wheel, make him fall and grab the ladder when he reach the peak of aforementioned ladder. Free 2h sword

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Playing Gothic 2 with G1's controls is how it's done.

Some might find it awkward at first, but it gives the most control over your moves, and therefore the most satisfaction. Fuck this target lock bullshit, using it is pure decline.

RapineDel

Augur
The controls are fine. They can take some getting used to at first but it feels pretty natural after an hour or so. Don't need any mods either this game is a gem as is, exploring Old Camp for the first time with the music, the characters you have to watch out for is a feeling not many games capture. If the combat is causing you problems it doesn't really matter anyway. There's an abundance of healing items and there's enough easy mobs to take out that you can just focus on them until you're leveled enough for anything harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom