Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 advice pointers

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I try to go through the Codex all time list and have arrived at Gothic 2 (again).

Forthcoming holiday soon suggests I can give it a good try then.

Playing on Steam and can see DX11 fan patch, Essential Mods, Gothic 1/2 system pack etc

Would appreciate any advice about the game as I want to give it a serious go. Last time I tried I gave up very easily due to glitches at the very beginning. Then I could not get it to run properly. But delete/ re-install seems to have shaken it to life.

Any tips, do and don'ts, memories shared would be hugely appreciated.

Trashos

Arcane
Is it with the NotR expansion or without?

To me, the Gothics are all about melee builds (others disagree of course, many prefer mages). So I mainly pump up Strength and the preferrable sword fighting style (1h or 2h, I prefer 1h myself because it is faster and smoother, but others prefer 2h because you can keep enemies farther away- both are doable). I raise other skills situationally (for money or for specific quests, but I don't sweat too much about it).

You are going to suck at combat until you raise your sword fighting skill, get a decent weapon and have a good armor (armor is very important throughout the game, it's almost always a good idea to invest in the best one you can find). Just choose your fights wisely and come back to harder foes once you feel stronger.

You will choose a faction at some point. As a melee build, one is easier than the other, but both are doable and fun. I actually chose the harder one on my 1st playthrough, and it was still a lot of fun.

Gothic 2 was great for me, even though I normally don't like actiony combat. Enjoy!

Doktor Best

Arcane
You must approach the game with the mindset that are a weak scrub in the beginning, and you are meant to flee from dangerous monsters pretty often, as the equipment plays a very large role in your survivability, especially armor. Keep in mind that most animals dont attack right ahead, but enter a warning pose and growl at you a few times before they engage. Use that knowledge to pick your fights. But even though you should save pretty often because its not unusual to die in battles early on. Learn to read enemy behaviour, attack cautiously, and time your attacks (you will attack faster this way) learn to time your swings by taking some swings into thing air. Invest some training points into mastering your swordfighting technique as this also makes you swing faster/ do more combos. Also, settlements are your friend. You can gain some easy exp points and money by doing errand runs and other easy quests. You will run into some encounters with bullies, and in this game those guys know their business, so expect to eat dirt if you bigmouth them. Explore every faction base and get familiar with them, dont join a faction too early on because it will make certain quests unavailable to you and strip you from quite some fun.

Also you should get NOTR if you have the vanilla version. And most of all: Have fun! This game really is a treat.

Murk

Arcane
Use transformation scrolls to get around particularly strong enemies early on; warg, dragon snapper, fire lizard, and shadow beast will wreck most things.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
G2 NOTR is perfectly fine without any sort of mods. Not even aware of any worthwhile ones excluding one total content overhaul which you wouldn't be playing first.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter

I am pasting it from another forum:

1. In the Xardas tower pray at the altar. You'll get a ton of gold if you do it right.
2. Explore the roofs of the first town, there are many good stuff there.
3. Pay Daron (mage near Eastern gate) gold and hope your hp and other stats are increased.
4. You can do a lot of guild quests before deciding which guild to join.
5. You can get some friends to do your work if you aggro.

Play a half decent game instead.

:0/5:

Codexlurker

Savant
I try to go through the Codex all time list and have arrived at Gothic 2 (again).

Playing on Steam and can see DX11 fan patch, Essential Mods, Gothic 1/2 system pack etc

Would appreciate any advice about the game as I want to give it a serious go. Last time I tried I gave up very easily due to glitches at the very beginning. Then I could not get it to run properly. But delete/ re-install seems to have shaken it to life.

1.Are you playing with NotR on?
2.Either way, be sure to buy scrolls whenever possible.
3.Use the scrolls to beat an Orc near Khorinis in order to become a weaponsmith.
4. In the mines, if you see a lizard like creature slowly walking towards you, don't try to fight it without scrolls early game.
5. Don't fight more than one orc at a time early game.

The camera may induce motion sickness.

Huh? Maybe if you're a wuss it might.

Trashos

Arcane
I almost forgot:

Keep multiple saves!
The saves fail sometimes -a few times in each playthrough. If you rotate a few of them you should be safe. I rotate 5.

sullynathan

Arcane
the combat sucks so don't expect anything good there.
the ui isn't that good.
NOTR has some questionable design choices.
Start the expansion pack in chapter 2 for a good mix of challenge and new good gear

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Start by playing the game in its original form and if you like it treat NOTR has new game plus. It was design for people who already finished the game so there might be things that annoy you by the end if you hadn't already played it. Also play the first one if you didn't. Especially with NOTR since almost everyone from the first game makes an appearance.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, you're shit.

You should probably cut your dick off and kill yourself. Make sure to cut your dick off first, cuz you won't be able to do it after you kill yourself.

sullynathan

Arcane
OP, did you play Gothic 1 before 2?

Start by playing the game in its original form and if you like it treat NOTR has new game plus. It was design for people who already finished the game so there might be things that annoy you by the end if you hadn't already played it. Also play the first one if you didn't. Especially with NOTR since almost everyone from the first game makes an appearance.
are there even copies of Gothic 2 online without NOTR already installed?

Severian Silk

There's nothing particularly wrong about Gothic 2. The game is pretty solid.

Maybe not 10/10 but who cares?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Last time I tried I gave up very easily due to glitches at the very beginning. Then I could not get it to run properly. But delete/ re-install seems to have shaken it to life.

Translation: user error.

Any tips, do and don'ts

Needs tips for a popamole? Must have come from Morrowind...

Murk

Arcane
One thing that's worth mentioning in gothic 1/2 is that you should always explore every possible nook and cranny, even if it seems like just a weird geometry artifact cuz yes there is something there. Look behind boxes and barrels, straight up, you'll find something there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom