Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 Heights of Power Mod

bloodlover

Arcane
Are you stupid or just can't read? Really now. Must I write again that THE QUESTS, GAMEPLAY AND ZONES REMAIN THE SAME? Or that YOU DO NOT STOMP SHIT SINCE THE GAME IS HARDER?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I can't get what's the focus of this mod. You get thrice as much xp and skills and enemies become thrice as strong. How does it make it harder and what significance it leaves on gameplay? It's like world be level scaled several notches up oblibion style from the get go.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
:lol: I concur, this shit makes no sense. Only advantage that I can spot so far.... is that you don't have save your potions/tablets for late game because there is no scaling difficulty on training higher stats (which just made everyone game the system) .... But apart from that, everything else seems like a waste of effort on behalf of the modder.

bloodlover Is it harder than normal overall?

Just seems strange to try and rebalance the entire game from the ground up, why not just focus on making enemies tougher OR making PC stronger... why the fuck would you do both at the same time
:retarded:

Tigranes

Arcane
Are you stupid or just can't read? Really now. Must I write again that THE QUESTS, GAMEPLAY AND ZONES REMAIN THE SAME? Or that YOU DO NOT STOMP SHIT SINCE THE GAME IS HARDER?

Here's a tip. When you want to tell us about a cool mod, you tell us what difference the mod makes.

Of course, you are the master of rhetoric, not me, and it totally makes sense that you just want to tell us what it doesn't change. Who am I to disagree?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like typical modder shit, everything turned up to 11 with no respect to the core systems or gameplay.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gothic 2 is fine as is and I don't see the utility of making a mod that solely tweaks the difficulty. Only good mod I know of is 'Velaya' where the area is the same but it's a new PC with new quests and whatnot.

bloodlover

Arcane

Here's a tip. When you want to tell us about a cool mod, you tell us what difference the mod makes.

Of course, you are the master of rhetoric, not me, and it totally makes sense that you just want to tell us what it doesn't change. Who am I to disagree?

Here's a tip: Next time read the first post. You might notice a big spoiler tag where the features of the mod are listed ;)

:lol: I concur, this shit makes no sense. Only advantage that I can spot so far.... is that you don't have save your potions/tablets for late game because there is no scaling difficulty on training higher stats (which just made everyone game the system) .... But apart from that, everything else seems like a waste of effort on behalf of the modder.

bloodlover Is it harder than normal overall?

Just seems strange to try and rebalance the entire game from the ground up, why not just focus on making enemies tougher OR making PC stronger... why the fuck would you do both at the same time
:retarded:

It is harder overall though ofc you can still cheese the fights with spells and ranged. As for they make both the enemies and PC stronget, I'd say to balance things a bit. The enemies being stronger would turn in into a very frustrating experience and making just the PC stronger would make the game too easy.

Tigranes

Arcane
I did. It makes you a lot stronger. It makes enemies a lot stronger. Can't say what the balance of the two is without playing. Gothic never had a big problem with grinding, progression being too slow, or your guy being weak. Gothic's strengths include making hard choices about your character and the scarcity of resources. I already said all this.

You brilliantly replied by saying this mod eliminates hard choices about levelling up and that the gameplay remains the same.

You don't get it, do you? Nobody thinks this mod eliminates all challenge. The mod sounds stupid because it's changing what nobody asked for. I don't think, gee, it would suit the setting a lot more and make the game a lot more fun if only I had more of these rare plants and I could level up way faster. I wonder if anybody has said that about Gothic in the history of the Codex.

bloodlover

Arcane
So if you are not playing the game and see the differences, why are you insisting that it makes the game easier?

Again you are not reading what I already said before. You still need to make choices on how you develop your character, you can't be jack of all trades. The resources are ALL THE FUCKING SAME. You don't get more herbs or potions or weapons or anything.

And last but not least, how do you know that nobody asked for it? There's also a NOTR customizer but I guess nobody asked for that either. I'd assume that in fact many asked for something like this because for someone new that does not know the location of every tablet and herb and when to use elixirs, it's very easy to gimp the character in the game. And we both know how much harder the game will be if you fuck up your stats.

I don't understand why are you bitching about changing the way how the stats work, because that's mostly why I (and most peoplethat used it) installed the mod in the first place.

Tigranes

Arcane
Nobody said the mod makes the game easier. How many times does it take for your synapses to fire?

I already made the TOB comparison. It's like telling BG players why not just make it every new level every 1000 XP so you can get to epic levels real quick and then fight epic level enemies. Destroys the point.

Anyway, I'm done. You can have fun with whatever mod you like obviously, but it was fascinating seeing you have no idea whatsoever what I (or other posters) are saying.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
MotherMachinae is there an English version of the global mod or only Polish?

I'm affraid not. Global Mod 1.7.1 is translated version of the original - russian - version 1.4. Translator team not only do their basic work but also included few more mods and tweaks and patched the basic game.

There're also harder enemies. Most common one are noticable harder but the real challenge come from unique monsters with their own names. There's separate entry in the journal for them.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not to mention that mod (Gothic: Enhanced Edition) improve game in every aspect, filling thing that feels abandoned while developement of the original game (like bandits, becoming guru or castle guard etc.).

Actually, I think the mod is called Golden Mod:

http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=155

Kinda tempting I guess, but I'm going to wait for Enhanced Edition Mod 2.0. Should be out soon, will be glorious replay.

Cool, do they have a site or forum or something?

EDIT: ok found them on moddb: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gothic-2-enhanced-edition

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'm kind of confused too. From the notes it sounds like in general, it's easier to level and the character is tougher. And in the future, what he is adding are some more resources and tougher monsters worth more XP along with a few other things that sound like they may or may not be alright.

So from just reading the notes, it's like we multiplied everything about the character and the enemies by ten! So I don't get it. I'm sure playing is a lot different then reading the mod notes though.

Anyways, about a year ago I was reinstalling it for the first time in many years on a laptop. I just wanted widescreen, higher rez and the view far thing but as I recall I was getting a weird FOV (maybe fishbowl) effect. It just didn't look right.

I'd be happy with something simple like hi-rez, widescreen, improved textures, the long distance view thing and maybe a few tweaks or bug fixes. Not looking for much but I'd like to play it again.

Maybe I'll just play it at 4:3 and go with it.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Anyways, about a year ago I was reinstalling it for the first time in many years on a laptop. I just wanted widescreen, higher rez and the view far thing but as I recall I was getting a weird FOV (maybe fishbowl) effect. It just didn't look right.

Did you edit the .ini? I know I had the same issue when I replayed it a few years back. I managed to fix it somehow, but I can't remember if it took more than tweaking the settings file like recommended here

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'm kind of confused too. From the notes it sounds like in general, it's easier to level and the character is tougher. And in the future, what he is adding are some more resources and tougher monsters worth more XP along with a few other things that sound like they may or may not be alright.

So from just reading the notes, it's like we multiplied everything about the character and the enemies by ten! So I don't get it. I'm sure playing is a lot different then reading the mod notes though.

I'd be happy with something simple like hi-rez, widescreen, improved textures, the long distance view thing and maybe a few tweaks or bug fixes. Not looking for much but I'd like to play it again.

Maybe I'll just play it at 4:3 and go with it.
There's a full on patcher out there now... that fixes all of those for you and more, without having to modify ini files or any other nonsense. Works for Gothic 1 and 2, GoG or old versions.
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)

If you plan on using it on Gothic 1, you will need the playerkit also. Easy to find.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom