Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 vs Gothic 3

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I agree also that magic is crap in both G1 & G2, it's more or less glorified archery.
Not even glorified. The problem is, all the other stuff is invalidated by this one thing. I only like to play RPG's as a mage type, and this game was worthless like that. I actually completed the game because I was determined to see how it panned out. I enjoyed some parts of it but when the combat is really bad, and that is what you do all game, gotta call a spade a spade. If they are incapable of making decent magic, they should just not have it as an option at all.

I hate the Elder Scrolls games but even they are in a different league to Gothic. So was Two Worlds 1 and 2.

It's one of the greatest open world rpgs of all time. It aged well and you're a shitposter that is possibly retarded.

It is terrible, you desperately need a taste transplant. Also I don't get why kiddies like you get such a hardon for "open werrrld!" games when you could just play something like Summoner, M&M, etc.. which have a few loading screens here and there but the upside is a decent fucking game and a fully formed RPG. Betrayal at Krondor shits all over your dumb Gothic games. As does anything with a party infact. Gothic was one of the early single character action games pretending to be an RPG when it barely even was, dumbing everything down for dummies who can't handle Planescape or whatever. But it didn't even have decent action or decent production values. Witcher 3 has the same shitty combat, but at least the dialogue, characters, engine, music, and everything else about that game is amazing. That's all I ask... Either make a hardcore RPG for the niche audience and don't compromise on mechanics. Or make an action game for dumb dudebros but at least make it big budget, slick, and interesting. Gothic fails at both.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 both are different games,
Each entry into a series will be different in some way, ideally, a sequel aims to improve on it's precursor across the board.

it is incorrect to compare them on same terms.
If you can't compare a sequel to the high standard set by it's predecessor/s, then what can you measure it against?

Last edited:

Kraszu

Prophet
Gothic 3 is broken on a fundamental level, no amount of "community patching" will fix it.

This guy explains it pretty well:

"And if you loved Gothic 3 that's great, some people like to shove anal beads up their ass, who am i to judge?" :lol:

He has no idea that he is talking about, the first problem that he talk about is that there is no long forced forced tutorial, and if that wasn't derp enough then he just shows that he is completely ignorant about the story, Xardas was personally involved in helping Orcs win the war, that is everybody in Myrthana could knew about him. He doesn't know where Xardas is now, that is the information that is hard to get.

There are problems in the game that you can abuse, for example going to inventory screen to instantly heal while not taking any damage, or that the AI lacks the ability to climb so you can climb on something, and shoot the orcs from there, but if you don't abuse any gamplay breaking things like that then the game plays well. There is simply no better open world crpg out there, and the system of reputation between guilds is great addition that makes you plan on what to do, and in what order, and that takes advantage of open nature of the game. It also force some meaningful choices as there are differences in what you need to do to finish the game, and you get access to different spells, and skills. The way the game is set up that you need to get couple of items to finish the game, allows you to choose how you want to get them. You can for pay a non trivial sum of money to Mora Sul leader, try to kill him yourself to get it, or get significant help from Nomads, and water mages to take over Mora Sul (but leader of Mora Sul wants you to kill water mages so you can't do both so this closes beliar path, and access to most powerful spells in the game).

I really wist that this system would be improved upon in other games.

Last edited:

Anarchist Esquire

Barely Literate
I just bought these a month or two ago on steam. I bought them partially because I saw a youtube video of a dude saying it was "his favorite game of all time." Opinions seem varied.

nomask7

Arcane
I just bought these a month or two ago on steam. I bought them partially because I saw a youtube video of a dude saying it was "his favorite game of all time." Opinions seem varied.

Gothic 2 is one of those games that are capable of giving you an experience to remember and tell your grandchildren about.

Gothic 3 is worth playing as well, mostly for the soundtrack and general mood, and Nordmar.

I suspect opinions vary so widely because a lot of people are easily triggered. A normal person should be able to enjoy them and find the unique beauty in them.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Gothic 3 is broken on a fundamental level, no amount of "community patching" will fix it.

"And if you loved Gothic 3 that's great, some people like to shove anal beads up their ass, who am i to judge?" :lol:

He has no idea that he is talking about, the first problem that he talk about is that there is no long forced forced tutorial, and if that wasn't derp enough then he just shows that he is completely ignorant about the story, Xardas was personally involved in helping Orcs win the war, that is everybody in Myrthana could knew about him. He doesn't know where Xardas is now, that is the information that is hard to get.

There are problems in the game that you can abuse, for example going to inventory screen to instantly heal while not taking any damage, or that the AI lacks the ability to climb so you can climb on something, and shoot the orcs from there, but if you don't abuse any gamplay breaking things like that then the game plays well. There is simply no better open world crpg out there, and the system of reputation between guilds is great addition that makes you plan on what to do, and in what order, and that takes advantage of open nature of the game. It also force some meaningful choices as there are differences in what you need to do to finish the game, and you get access to different spells, and skills. The way the game is set up that you need to get couple of items to finish the game, allows you to choose how you want to get them. You can for pay a non trivial sum of money to Mora Sul leader, try to kill him yourself to get it, or get significant help from Nomads, and water mages to take over Mora Sul (but leader of Mora Sul wants you to kill water mages so you can't do both so this closes beliar path, and access to most powerful spells in the game).

Whatever, i didn't play Gothic 3 very much on account of how buggy the engine was, and that was with the community patch, which did nothing to solve any of the graphics or gameplay problems. Combat was atrocious, nowhere near as good as it was in Gothic 2 and that was the major let down for me. The story i didn't really care about anymore by the time Gothic 2 ended, just didn't make sense to me though i was interested to see what Xardas was planning in the end, more for closure than anything. Bugs, Graphical glitches, shit combat that was even worse than it's predecessors, overall just very a big let down. I would have kept playing it despite how bad the combat was, the world did look interesting to explore, but ultimately the terrible engine ruined it. I can't even imagine how bad it must have been without the community patch.

I really don't understand how people could play through Gotic 3 after Gothic 1/2 and not be disappointed with how it turned it out. Finally, yes there is a better open world cRPG: Fallout: New Vegas, which destroys Gothic 3 in every way.

Sykar

Arcane

The video was pretty much spot on and covered almost everything you said including that it had a great open world and it can maybe pass as a hiking game. It is just abyssmal in every important aspect for a game. Even if you are not abusing the combat system it is still worse than the previous two games.

As to Xardas, he was not the only one to notice that the developers basically spoil his location on the fucking loading screen. How that is not a total derp move is beyond me.
Also what he was complaining about was that the whole story made no sense. The orcs were already winning as per Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. Furthermore there was never even a hint of orcs wanting or being able to comunicate with humans let alone live peacefully if under oppression with them.
Not to mention the shit that you start again as a total loser instead of a hardened veteran from Gothic 2 and this time there is no plot device to explain why you are pansy without gear again.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Gothic 3 is worth playing as well, mostly for the soundtrack and general mood, and Nordmar.

I suspect opinions vary so widely because a lot of people are easily triggered. A normal person should be able to enjoy them and find the unique beauty in them.

Exactly. Disregard the edgelords. I finished a playthrough of G3 a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. Maybe it doesn't shine when you hold it up against G2, but it still beats a lot of the offerings from later years (W2, Oblivion, Skyrim, Pillars, Risen(s), BG Siege, Blaggardz etc.)

Major pros: The game seems made by people who actually enjoy RPGs. There is something about the mood around Mora Sul, Bakaresh, Nordmar, west of Silven etc. that says the developers actually gave a shit. I was impressed that they hide such high quality content behind 40 hours of gameplay. The music is great, and exploration is rewarding without the terrain being ludicrously jampacked like in Skyrim. Character development had a nice progression without feeling gimicky - finding ledgers and stuff is fun. Finally, the game is hard. Good.:incline:

Major cons: Combat. The combat sucks, there is no other way to put it. BUT, playing as a mage is fun. Tame animal and bloodlust gets you through the early game, and late game spells hit like a truck. The game is also bloated. With the community patch I had exactly one bug in 60+ hours, so not a problem there.

I get the feeling that a lot of the flak for G3 is driven more by the need to harvest edge-points than actually having played through the entire thing and made up your own mind.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This thread is missing the most important point: the best Gothic is clearly Gothic 1.
I liked the premise of G1 more than G2 but as a game I enjoyed G2 way more thanks to all the little improvements they made like backstepping counting as a block, way more content, and harder difficulty.

Gothic 1 has a much more interesting atmosphere, with all the hostility and uncertainty of being trapped in the mysterious prison. Also, the plot and gameplay is more concise and focused, giving a better experience overall.

Gothic 1 is easily one of the best RPGs ever.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Also, the plot and gameplay is more concise and focused, giving a better experience overall.
Gameplay is pretty much a straight upgrade in G2 thanks to backstep dodging. The only thing that's a bit annoying is the character building your first time through but once you learn weapon skill is more important than strength you're good.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Funny how the things you harp on are from the first minutes of the game:philosoraptor:

Did you check out all the regions?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Equipement his own way but funny how they make decent character from G1 and G2 (by stats) a total wimp by changing the numbers and their values. 100 STR in G3 is nothing? Who could guess. All that to avoid another underrock incident (or they do not found excuse for another stats reset).

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Maybe it doesn't shine when you hold it up against G2, but it still beats a lot of the offerings from later years (W2, Oblivion, Skyrim, Pillars, Risen(s), BG Siege, Blaggardz etc.)
You really think G3 is better than Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity, and Blackguards? Pls can I buy some crack?

Major cons: Combat. The combat sucks, there is no other way to put it.
Combat sucks yet best game ever, gotcha.

BUT, playing as a mage is fun.
Running around the world backwards casting one spell over and over, is not "playing as a mage".

Everyone in this thread sucks. Cept me obv.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Maybe it doesn't shine when you hold it up against G2, but it still beats a lot of the offerings from later years (W2, Oblivion, Skyrim, Pillars, Risen(s), BG Siege, Blaggardz etc.)
You really think G3 is better than Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity, and Blackguards? Pls can I buy some crack?

Major cons: Combat. The combat sucks, there is no other way to put it.
Combat sucks yet best game ever, gotcha.

BUT, playing as a mage is fun.
Running around the world backwards casting one spell over and over, is not "playing as a mage".

Everyone in this thread sucks. Cept me obv.
Sup, Neckbeardshitlord.

T. Reich

Arcane
This thread is missing the most important point: the best Gothic is clearly Gothic 1.

It's not.

Out of three actually good Gothic games, G1 only wins in the "atmosphere & feels" departament.
Everything else in it is actually inferior either to G2NotR (scope, mechanics, balance, general improvement on ideas) or R1 (mechanics, balance, MUCH less tedium and padding).

Kraszu

Prophet

Gothic 3 is vastly superior to Skyrim, first of all Skyrim is broken by almost absolute level scaling, it doesn't matter where you go, your character progression hardly matters because you can do anything at lvl1 (or almost anything), exploration is broken because magical arrow shows you where to go, and there is an "epic" quest behind every rock that also adds to the feeling that it doesn't matter where you go. In G3 with community patch you are too weak to free cities so you must first become more powerful, and when you explore G3 world you first should get some information on where to go first, for example in Okara you are told to find few rebels that mine resources so you know that you must look for caves nearby, in Trelis you are told to find an artifact in a broken tower (that you can see from there), you are also told to find Druids, and what direction you should go to find them, now that is some good exploration, and it happens all of the time (it isn't perfect but it is good most of the time, and beats following an arrow).

Combat is also better in G3, in Skyrim you pretty much just time first special attack (that is easy to do), and you hack, and slash, in G3 you actually need to find proper timing to attack.

Also G3 takes advantage of big open world with main quest that only requires you to get few items, and get to few places (and some of those also depend on how you finish the game), so you can go about in multiple different ways. You also have competing fractions that add to decision making when doing quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom