Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 community patch 1.75 released

Morkar Left

On release I used to have to wait 5-10 minutes on loading screens, at least modern PCs have solved that issue.

I think the stuttering will never really go. It is less to do with raw CPU or GPU power (the hardware of today could solve that through brute force), and more to do with the bad engine. There's no actual reason why it should be so intensive seeing how distant LOD textures are basically non-existent.

Stuttering is minimal for me (means it happens once every couple of minutes for a sec) on maxed out gfx settings and increased viewing distance from the mod.

Vagiel

Augur
I am very tempted to start but the community story project seems very very intriguing. Tell me wise codex should I wait or not?

throwaway

Cipher
I had no idea the game had an active modding scene. Is Gothic 3 worth a replay if you finished it at release and were seriously disappointed by a game with broken combat and a staggering amount of low quality quests ?
I'd actually answer no. The big question is did you actually get to experience the original content properly? Given how bugged the release versions was it seems unlikely but if you feel that you did the CP+QP+CM package does not improve either combat or the questing significantly, however given that actually playing the game is going to be less of a PITA the fetch quests shouldn't be more than a small bother.
Do any of these mods make Nordmar not suck? I remember that place was nothing but one big orc and skeleton grinding zone.
I'm fairly sure the CP decreases the number of enemies in Nordmar. It certainly felt less challenging than the release version.

Of course you could still wait till the csp mod comes along with translation but I guess that qould probably take another 3 years at least...
:negative:
I've been occasionally checking their page for at least 7 years. They should have gotten on the Kickstarter bandwagon even if only for ~10k.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One day... one sweet day... I will play this game again, with the patch, and maybe enjoy it. My only memories right now are of launch day disappointment and my fist hitting the desk.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Not sure if I could waste another 250h wandering around G3 with all this new content.
Tempting.

MasPingon

Arcane
They could patch it to 3.47, it still won't have Gothic 1/2 vibe. This game should be redesign from stretch, fixing bugs won't help anything.

Modron

Arcane
Not sure if I could waste another 250h wandering around G3 with all this new content.
Tempting.

Yeah, Gothic 3 is one of those games i keep meaning to finish but just cannot summon the will. Kind of went autistic on my last attempt, did every non faction specific quest in the southern regions and was probably a third of the way clearing out/exploring the frozen northern area in a similar fashion before my will to play petered out.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I finished it 3 times.
In the times before Steam growing library and lack of backlogs...
No powers will push me for 4th playthrough.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:necro:

Does the latest community patch address the super-long loading times? Also, how much does it change the combat?

Well don't know what you have but apart from the initial loading of an area it didn't seem long. Sure I use a SSD now but even when I had it on a WD Green it didn't take long enough to be annoying. Combat can be brutal at times. Hell I got my arse handed to me by the training orc area at the start! Ended up cheesing by running the mobs into allies. Afterwards the wolves etc. were manageable but not in packs as if you crank up the difficulty they don't take turns anymore but come at once. It's a lot more block and timing based. Just spamming click will rape you in no time.I haven't had time to really play it so I can't tell you about leveling and how balanced it all is but from the few hours I've played this(I finished it with an old CP long ago before rebalance). it seems like you won't end up with 150 more points than what you need to max everything out 15 hours before the end like that time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Loading depends on your computer. I didn't notice anything out of ordinary.

And combat is is dramatically better. Not as good as NotR, obviously, but playable, unlike vanilla.

Dux

Arcane
I will come back one day to complete the circle, but only because I'm a completionist autistic asshole.

Urgh... this fucking game. Why? Just WHY? With or without 1.75 it's still Gothic 3 and that's just depressing. For anyone who actually wants to finish this game, heed the words from someone who was practically standing on the finish line: don't lose yourself in sidequests and don't get involved in the war. Just get some XP to toughen you up, fight your way through Nordmar and take it from there. Keep focused and don't get bogged down.

Deleted member 7219

Is the combat different to gothic 1/2 ?

Yes. Gothic 3 has stunlock combat, which means you have to get the first hit in (or jump backwards and strike while the enemy is in their recovery animation), otherwise you will lose every time. When an enemy hits you, your character goes into a hurt animation and allows the enemy to hit again, and again, and again.

Combat in Gothic 1 and 2 was shit too, but didn't have stunlock from what I remember.

Combat in Gothic 3 is something you have to suffer through to get to the rest of the game, which is pretty good. Still one of the best open world RPGs with a lot of content.

Revenant

In any case, you can bypass the stunlock mechanic entirely by playing an archer or a mage.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Gothics in a nutshell :lol:

gvdIdEy.gif

Revenant

Yeah by wasting years on that game, I can confirm that by having a sufficient skill with Gothic 3 you can backpedal just enough from a wolf in order not to get stunlocked by it and to counterattack successfully afterwards. Though maybe 10% of the time the wolf will move a bit further than he usually does and still stunlock you :M

Deleted member 7219

Yeah by wasting years on that game, I can confirm that by having a sufficient skill with Gothic 3 you can backpedal just enough from a wolf in order not to get stunlocked by it and to counterattack successfully afterwards. Though maybe 10% of the time the wolf will move a bit further than he usually does and still stunlock you :M

That's how I played Gothic 3. You can cheese your way through the combat provided you time your movements correctly.

Also, for anybody genuinely interested in Gothic 3, Vault Dweller 's review is well worth a read. I think it provides a fair assessment of the game's strengths and weaknesses.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
VD should make a new review with todays patches

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom