Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Gothic 3: The circle is now complete

Murk

Arcane
To reiterate my previous point that still stands, perhaps more so now after the last few pages:

Mikayel said:
*Heinous blasphemy deserving naught but fire.*

ERROR INDEED

Murk

Arcane
So, what i get from reading most of the thread is that Gothic 3 is now considered a good game?

I hate this revisionist bullshit, the game is a piece of crap, no way around the fact.

Revisionist bullshit? The fuck?

Even back then people complained about the things that sucked: bugs, bugs, bugs, horrible combat mechanics, heinous optimization, and lots of emptiness/filler, poor balance. And they still praised the things that they liked: music, atmosphere, huge world, exploration, large scale changes, etc.

Now the community patch removes the bugs, makes the combat mechanics bearable (but still not good), has made it playable (optimization), and offers an alternate balance (which is still not Sawyerian) making the game far, far better.

Anyway, what is this revisionism yous peak about? Were people's opinions of the game so different 2 years ago?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
So, what i get from reading most of the thread is that Gothic 3 is now considered a good game?

I hate this revisionist bullshit, the game is a piece of crap, no way around the fact.

Revisionist bullshit? The fuck?

Even back then people complained about the things that sucked: bugs, bugs, bugs, horrible combat mechanics, heinous optimization, and lots of emptiness/filler, poor balance. And they still praised the things that they liked: music, atmosphere, huge world, exploration, large scale changes, etc.

Now the community patch removes the bugs, makes the combat mechanics bearable (but still not good), has made it playable (optimization), and offers an alternate balance (which is still not Sawyerian) making the game far, far better.

Anyway, what is this revisionism yous peak about? Were people's opinions of the game so different 2 years ago?
I always felt it was a rather fun game bugs and all. Transforming into viloceraptors, no level scaling, fun just trying to reach the monastery the first time you play the game, high level spells made you feel powerful, just gathering herbs in the woods and running into a shadowbeast for the first time. Granted the game had pretty bad problems, it was still fun though.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, I liked it too. My bigger problem with the game initially was loading times( given how much reloading you had to do...) and rather poor performance.

I've replayed it a few times over the years, but I always grow bored somewhere around halfway. It's definitely missing something. Love the music and the general atmosphere though; I'm pretty sure it has the best looking game world I've seen.

Severian Silk

Well, first of all Gothic is not 1st person.

Oh please. Whether you look at his butt or not, it is still a 1st person 3D game.

No, it is not. Whole gaming community calls it third person... 3rd person.
I kind of agree with LE. The camera is slightly behind the player, but it's still basically first person.

That said combat in G1/2 is a lot better than in Morrowind at least. IIRC you have different strokes depending on the buttons you press, and the button assignment is better than having it all tied to the mouse.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The PB games are third person. Period. Arguing otherwise is nonsensical. Don't confuse third person with third person over the shoulder shit you see in most console games. Nor with third person isometric turn based games. There would be a major difference in combat if it were first person versus third person.

Murk

Arcane
I... I... ok... the "what is an rpg" shit kind of makes sense, cuz everyone here can't look past their own nose, but holy fucking shit really? What is 3rd person?

ya'll motherfuckers are motherfuckers.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Lady Shitposter.

Yes, people with a different opinion must be shitposters by definition. Sorry for not participating in your circle-jerk.

And they still praised the things that they liked: music, atmosphere, huge world, exploration, large scale changes, etc.
These things are great, but even with the CP Gothic 3 is a hiking simulator. After Gothic 2's sublime goodness I really gave Gothic 3 a chance. I gave that fucker 30 hours worth of a chance until I finally realized that it wasn't going anywhere. Despite the beauty, Gothic 3 is the epitome of "dicking around."

Shame. Risen was good though.

Tigranes

Arcane
I liked it when it came out, I just though it was a pity that stunlock & DRM-60-second-stutter & loading times made it literally impossible to play. Now those things are solved, it's a pretty good sequel to G1/2.

I think G3 is a good game (with CP), but the patch cannot address the core failures such as uninteresting exploration, weak storytelling and monotonous questing. Exploration, storytelling and questing and how these three are woven together as an overall means to progression were the prime reason playing the first two Gothics was meaningful and satisfying. Gothic 3 lacked the core of what makes Gothic great, so IMO utterly failed as a sequel.
I thought the plot was meh in every single PB game, to the point that I can't even remember the details of G1/2/3 plot. Indeed G3's weakness is that it doesn't feature core areas like the Old Camp that really did a great job, but I think its areas and quests are done in the same style and philosophy, just not as punchy and not as focused (which is a flaw for the game as a whole). Thus I hold it more as a 'lesser sequel' problem and still a decent game.
The thread actually got me to fire up Gothic 3 again, and I've played every other PB title again in the last couple of years, so we'll see whether my mind's been playing revisionist on me.

Murk

Arcane
These things are great, but even with the CP Gothic 3 is a hiking simulator. After Gothic 2's sublime goodness I really gave Gothic 3 a chance. I gave that fucker 30 hours worth of a chance until I finally realized that it wasn't going anywhere. Despite the beauty, Gothic 3 is the epitome of "dicking around."

Shame. Risen was good though.

That's a legitimate thing, and I don't mind that you dislike the game after trying it -- the game is definitely flawed, as I have been apt to say quite a few times. For me, it was worth it -- for others, not. Cool.

Despite the beauty, Gothic 3 is the epitome of "dicking around."

Aren't all games just that (albeit perhaps not the epitome of)?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I was going to write a lengthy response, but then I realized that it would be somewhat akin to arguing with a wall. So suffice it to say that you are dumb and fail to grasp the meaning of simple terms.

I don't care whether you call it 1st or 3rd person, okay? I really couldn't care less about this point.

Since you are too dumb yourself to understand, I already agreed with you that it is technically 3rd person, but for me and others the Gothic games are close enough to 1st person games. Though again, who fucking cares how you call it... You are like a grammar nazi who obsesses over unimportant BS.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Only took me about fifteen minutes of looking at his/her/it's posts to realize we have another early twenty-something trying too hard to fit in by bashing everything but one specific subset of old school cRPGs. Nothing to see here.

If this post is any indication, you are a complete idiot. I started playing CRPG's around 1991, so hardly an "early twenty something".

Also, don't project your own motivations (trying too hard to fit in) on other people. If I wanted to fit it, I would be brown-nosing and circle-jerking just like you.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Z4xW8Jj.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Someone should rename this thread to "Gothic 3: The circle-jerk is now complete"

Lancehead

Liturgist
Thing with 1st person vs. 3rd person is that Gothic II and III (and I imagine Gothic I too?) can be played in 1st person. +M

In Gothic II the camera switches to 3rd person when holding weapons, though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Could you? I know there is free look mode, but I don't think you can move around while doing that.

In Gothic you can't move around in 1st person because you have to hold down a key to freelook and that locks out WASD movement, its really just put in there so you can look up or down to see if you can climb up or jump down from a platform safely, but I never needed to, I used 1st person only to take screenshots. The game is totally played in 3rd person, it is a 3rd person monocled action RPG.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Someone should rename this thread to "Gothic 3: The circle-jerk is now complete"

So what you actually are saying is that Gothic is a first person game ; the fact it is a third person game being completely irrelevant.

I like your style, you are a perfect idiot.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So what you actually are saying is that Gothic is a first person game ; the fact it is a third person game being completely irrelevant.

I like your style, you are a perfect idiot.

Well, I suppose you must know what it is like to be a perfect idiot, since reading is so hard for you:

I already agreed with you that it is technically 3rd person, but for me and others the Gothic games are close enough to 1st person games. Though again, who fucking cares how you call it...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
While, as an oldexfag, I know better than to interrupt a Gothic circle of prayer, I can't help but tell you guys that you full force defense of real time combat in RPGs is totally over the top, unnecassary and un:obviously:. Page 4 of this thread is an abomination in both form and content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom