Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Melee Combat
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah,because spamming the right mouse button is clearly a superior melee combat. All three gothic games have shit melee combat,there is no better lol.

Action and consequences
Ahhh no,Gothic 3 has a lot more of that,you could piss different factions and could get locked out of towns in a way. In gothic 2 you just had to choose a faction in the early midgame,it is not a action/consequence but more of a choosing campaign.

Also showing a clip of a late game god like level of player killing a few orks with the highest level of spell and then whining how easy they are....is retarded. LoL why don't you show us an early/mid game character clearing them? I could do that with my archer build,but i have finished the game like 10 times and still would take me like an hour to do so. Whining that you can beat an enemy once you had explored the world and you are level 100,is stupid.

Difficulty and difficulty curve
Less power creep
Go play Dark souls games if you want to waste your time on a single enemy that much. Gothic 2 had really shitty skill points till they fixed it in the expansion. You had to be a min-maxer with prior in game knowledge to be able to do a fun build. Screwing a few things or experimenting made you have a useless character that couldn't do shit.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah,because spamming the right mouse button is clearly a superior melee combat. All three gothic games have shit melee combat,there is no better lol.

A video worth more than words

Doesn't look good as dark souls but is not bad either...

Also showing a clip of a late game god like level of player killing a few orks with the highest level of spell and then whining how easy they are.

Fire Rain is not a end game spell like on Gothic 2 or with the alternative balancing. As longs you have AK, you can learn the spell easily...

barghwata

Savant

I am genuinly unsure what people mean when they say Gothic 2 had better melee, i mean it was basically just spamming attacks really, at least in Gothic 3 there was fatigue to make that a little harder not to mention the Alternative AI from the community patch that allows enemies to immediatly counterattack and stagger you whenever you tried to spam them too much.

Ahhh no,Gothic 3 has a lot more of that,you could piss different factions and could get locked out of towns in a way. In gothic 2 you just had to choose a faction in the early midgame,it is not a action/consequence but more of a choosing campaign.

Indeed, Gothic 2 made the initial faction choice seem like it was important at first but eventually it doesn't really matter, the game is mostly completely linear. Gothic 3 is a lot of things but linear isn't one of them, there is a lot of secondary content to do and you could go wherever you want right from the start of the game and aid whatever faction you want, however helping one faction and gaining reputation with them will make opposing factions recongnize and hate you even if you had good reputation with them as well, and eventually it will get to a point where they just attack you on sight, which can completely lock you away from certain towns and quests.

Codex Year of the Donut
I spent two years in university learning Swedish
I am sorry.
I was required to learn a second language and Swedish is one of the easiest(if not the easiest) language for English speakers to learn. Other than memorizing the en/ett words it's pretty simple.
I had zero interest in learning a second language to begin with, anyone worth speaking to already speaks english.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I had zero interest in learning a second language to begin with, anyone worth speaking to already speaks english.

LOL...

I know a guy who spended one and half year learning spanish to talk with his fiancee argentine family, but he only learned how to speak mexican spanish and could't understand rioplatense spanish...

Mikeal

Arcane
Mikeal's adventures with Gothic 3.

First adventure: Reach Montera, lost interest in game, uninstall it.
Second adventure: Leave Ardea, lost interest in game, uninstall it.
Third adventure: See main menu, lost interest in game, uninstall it.
Forth adventure: Install shitload of fan patches, lost interest in game due to dumb and unfunny sense of humor forced by moders, uninstall it.

overly excitable young man

Cause around the same time Morrowind came out

A video worth more than words

Doesn't look good as dark souls but is not bad either...

Also showing a clip of a late game god like level of player killing a few orks with the highest level of spell and then whining how easy they are.

Fire Rain is not a end game spell like on Gothic 2 or with the alternative balancing. As longs you have AK, you can learn the spell easily...

This video is pretty autistic.
It's made to make Gothic combat look deeper than it is.

With the gear he has he can kill one Orc very fast, get one hit by the other orc and then finish him.
Especially the sidestepping doesn't make sense. He can just go back, block and attack after the orc attacked.
Gothic combat never was figuring out a strategy for the enemy. It was always just getting so overpowered that you don't have to bother with the clunky system.

barghwata

Savant
Especially the sidestepping doesn't make sense.

Sidestepping in gothic 2 in general was pretty annoying, because when combined with the fact that most enemies charge forward like idiots whenever they attack, dodging enemies just becomes too easy and since the sidestepping doesn't consume any fatigue or something like that you can just spam them as much as you like, imagine if you had infinite dodge rolls in Dark souls .......

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Especially the sidestepping doesn't make sense. He can just go back, block and attack after the orc attacked.
Gothic combat never was figuring out a strategy for the enemy. It was always just getting so overpowered that you don't have to bother with the clunky system.

I agree, but did you played Risen 3? Has one of the worst melee combat of all time. Gothic 1/2/3 is good compared to R3. On R3, crossbows and pistols has melee range(WTF?) but are powerful because pick the gun from your pocket, fire a round and pit your pistol back is faster than the 5 seconds long ballet animation before each sword strike. All hits stunlock you regardless of your armor and other factors. They probably had this slow animation to avoid G3 who stunlocks first wins(alternative balancing solved the problem without screwing the combat)

edit - a funny video

thesecret1

Arcane
I enjoyed Gothic 2's combat. It's not true there wasn't a tactic to the fights - you had to learn the moveset of an enemy type and time your blocks or dodges accordingly, with the right timing. Might not be the most complex of combats, but it worked and it certainly way more challenging than pressing LMB repeatedly like in Elder Scrolls or nu-Fallout

I agree, but did you played Risen 3? Has one of the worst melee combat of all time. Gothic 1/2/3 is good compared to R3. On R3, crossbows and pistols has melee range(WTF?) but are powerful because pick the gun from your pocket, fire a round and pit your pistol back is faster than the 5 seconds long ballet animation before each sword strike. All hits stunlock you regardless of your armor and other factors. They probably had this slow animation to avoid G3 who stunlocks first wins(alternative balancing solved the problem without screwing the combat)

edit - a funny video

Yes Risen 3 combat really is beyond retarded.
But the video is a bad source because Angry Joe also is a very bad player.

You aren't even supposed to clear the island he is on at the start of the game.
He should just take the ship and get to the first island with the crystal mages.
Scavengers are a strong enemy at the start.

I enjoyed Gothic 2's combat. It's not true there wasn't a tactic to the fights - you had to learn the moveset of an enemy type and time your blocks or dodges accordingly, with the right timing. Might not be the most complex of combats, but it worked and it certainly way more challenging than pressing LMB repeatedly like in Elder Scrolls or nu-Fallout
You think you remember it was that way, but it really wasn't.
I even played a few runs without ever blocking or sidestepping enemys and it works out just fine.
Now imagine playing Dark Souls without blocking or rolling.

Yeah you're right that it was more complex than Fallout New Vegas or Elder Scrolls.
But not by much.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes Risen 3 combat really is beyond retarded.
But the video is a bad source because Angry Joe also is a very bad player.

You aren't even supposed to clear the island he is on at the start of the game.
He should just take the ship and get to the first island with the crystal mages.
Scavengers are a strong enemy at the start.

I posted his video because his rage was funny, as a joke, not to collaborate my point. For him, Risen 1 is the worst 360 game. At least on his video title

Risen 1 is not good as Gothic 1/2/3 and has a lot of problems, like the retarded final boss fights but call it the worst is not fair for the game... What i din't liked about Risen 1 is that in order to learn magic, you need to play for dozens of hours and join in a monastery invited, then to more boring quests, like on G2(hardest gothic game to learn magic who also restricts you to fire magician) and the magic is far inferior in quality and quantity of spells than Gothic games. On Gothic 1, you can with few hours learn magic if you join Swamp Camp but it has drawbacks, like no Circle 5/6 spell, so no Rain of Fire/Wave of Ice, on G3, you can learn magic literally in less than half of an hour. The lore behind magic of G3 is that Xardas destroyed the rune magic and the humanity was seeking an ancient type of magic, less dependent of gods. Ironically, this game, where everyone needs to research from beginning is the easiest game to be a magician.

I even played a few runs without ever blocking or sidestepping enemys and it works out just fine.

Only if you're considerably stronger than those enemies. Otherwise, you're completely full of shit.
If you know what enemies to kill at the right time you are always considerably stronger even in Gothic 2.
NotR is so much exp. You can fight all harbor people. Also pickpocketing is a lot of exp.

thesecret1

Arcane
You think you remember it was that way, but it really wasn't.
I played it half a year back and made special note of how the combat worked. If you try just charging at the enemy without dodging or blocking, any enemy, you will get your ass handed to you unless you massively overlevel him, both in Gothic 1 and 2.

If you know what enemies to kill at the right time you are always considerably stronger even in Gothic 2.
Not nearly enough stronger to do away with dodging and blocking. Were you trying to do the "no sidestep" thing on fucking scavengers or something?

But you always overlevel the enemy if you play the game likes it's supposed to be played.

First you kill young scavengers and then molerats. (Gothic 1)
Or you kill everything till you're in Khorinis down the road and the you go with Lares to the ruins which you have to do anyway. (Gothic 2)
Lots of free exp without doing anything.
Then you can kill Scavengers.

Also how do your playstyles differ between fighting a scavenger, a lizard or a dragon snapper?
I really want to know, because i just run at them and kill em.

Edit: Git gud.:lol:

thesecret1

Arcane
But you always overlevel the enemy if you play the game likes it's supposed to be played.

First you kill young scavengers and then molerats. (Gothic 1)
Or you kill everything till your in Khorinis down the road and the you go with Lares to the ruins which you have to do anyway. (Gothic 2)
Lots of free exp without doing anything.
Then you can kill Scavengers.
You get some experience this way, but not nearly enough to overlevel the enemies as much as you claim, especially not in NotR. There isn't some big field full of molerats waiting for you to slay them, there tend to be plenty of tougher enemies all around that you need to learn the movesets of to beat. Or did you just sneak past anything you didn't overlevel and killed all the scavengers and molerats on the map before deciding to take on a couple goblins? If find this hard to believe. Post video of you beating a couple snappers (2 or 3 at once) in NotR in Act 1 without dodging, and I'll believe you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom