Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

thesecret1

Arcane
Also how do your playstyles differ between fighting a scavenger, a lizard or a dragon snapper?
I really want to know, because i just run at them and kill em.
How could you just run at them and kill them? Do you only engage them in act 3 or something? When I start taking down snappers, each takes like a dozen hits to down - if I just ran at them, they'd kill me in two or three hits (you can't stunlock them). And even a damn scavengers takes like 3 hits on game start or something like that, and will take you down to half hp if you don't dodge him.

overly excitable young man

But you always overlevel the enemy if you play the game likes it's supposed to be played.

First you kill young scavengers and then molerats. (Gothic 1)
Or you kill everything till your in Khorinis down the road and the you go with Lares to the ruins which you have to do anyway. (Gothic 2)
Lots of free exp without doing anything.
Then you can kill Scavengers.
You get some experience this way, but not nearly enough to overlevel the enemies as much as you claim, especially not in NotR. There isn't some big field full of molerats waiting for you to slay them, there tend to be plenty of tougher enemies all around that you need to learn the movesets of to beat. Or did you just sneak past anything you didn't overlevel and killed all the scavengers and molerats on the map before deciding to take on a couple goblins? If find this hard to believe. Post video of you beating a couple snappers (2 or 3 at once) in NotR in Act 1 without dodging, and I'll believe you.
Maybe we have a failure to communicate. I don't claim that i can do it without taking any damage.
With 2 Scavengers in Act 1 you might take around half of your life.

But there is enough healing that it doesn't matter.
Also you can just lure scavengers alone which makes the thing even easier.

Also how do your playstyles differ between fighting a scavenger, a lizard or a dragon snapper?
I really want to know, because i just run at them and kill em.
How could you just run at them and kill them? Do you only engage them in act 3 or something? When I start taking down snappers, each takes like a dozen hits to down - if I just ran at them, they'd kill me in two or three hits (you can't stunlock them). And even a damn scavengers takes like 3 hits on game start or something like that, and will take you down to half hp if you don't dodge him.
How many places are there in the game where you have to fight more than one dragon snapper?
You can kill one pretty fast without taking damage.

And yes you only take dragon snappers on later. They are pretty strong enemies.

thesecret1

Arcane
ow many places are there in the game where you have to fight more than one dragon snapper?
I am talking regular snappers, which frequently come in groups. They are very easy in later acts, but they are a pretty tough enemy in early game, when two or three hits from one kill you. Can you describe to me just how do you avoid using dodging prior to overlevelling everything? Or do you just sneak around all the snappers in the game until you kill all the scavengers, molerats, field harvesters and blood flies on the map or something? Because what you are describing should be literally impossible unless you overlevel the enemy by a large margin – Gothic 2 doesn't let you stunlock the enemy for long (like two or three hits in the combo, if I remember correctly), they absolutely will hit you unless you dodge, and they can down you in only a couple hits while you need like a dozen.

Were are even these snappers you are talking about?
In the valley of mines are some and in the expansion. Jack helps you in the expansion with em.
The one before Khorinis i just avoid because it is very early.

Snappers make their weird biting animation when they attack if you attack them they are stunned and then you make two more hits and they are dead.
You already have the better armor (paladin e.g.) by then and a good weapon so it shouldn't be a problem.

thesecret1

Arcane
I went back to the old install since I remember snappers to be one of the most common enemies in the game, and found out I was mistaken, I was playing the game modded and forgot about it. My apologies.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:whatho:

LoL people praising the melee system in gothic 2. Fuck you could beat every single non animal enemy in one on one even at level 1 lol. You just have to spam block till you get an opening,or just learn the pattern of attacks. It seems you guys are just shit at the game. Most PB games do have pretty meh combat,that is not their main focus. Only Risen did have an amazing melee combat,it is one of the best out there.
Also since you love your retarded youtube videos,here.

Yeah Risen 1 had the best PB melee system.
Only changed it because of stupid pirate idea.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I went back to the old install since I remember snappers to be one of the most common enemies in the game, and found out I was mistaken, I was playing the game modded and forgot about it. My apologies.

I remember facing some snappers by the Khorinis walls early.

They were optional, sure. But they were there. And they butchered me badly when I first found them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I prefered Gothic 2's combat to Risen.

Particularly the animations improving with skill level were a great touch.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
LoL people praising the melee system in gothic 2. Fuck you could beat every single non animal enemy in one on one even at level 1

On all ARPG's, the player skill matters more than the char's skill. There are SL1 runs on Dark Souls. I agree that the melee combat of Gothic 1/2 are OK at best, but disagree with your argument. Risen 2 and mainly 3 in other hands, has the worst combat that i saw in my life.

Yep. Not only more combos, but the stance and other things becoming better is a great touch

Yeah Risen 1 had the best PB melee system.
Only changed it because of stupid pirate idea.

There are any pirate RPG game who managed to be successful?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On all ARPG's, the player skill matters more than the char's skill. There are SL1 runs on Dark Souls. I agree that the melee combat of Gothic 1/2 are OK at best, but disagree with your argument. Risen 2 and mainly 3 in other hands, has the worst combat that i saw in my life.
:prosper:
Are you a retard or are you just really good at pretending? The fuck i talked about risen 2 and 3??? I said that Gothic 2 had shit melee combat and it is not something to brag about! While said that risen have the best melee combat of any PB game. Why are you trying to twist the discussion and make it about risen 2 & 3??? Nobody is talking about those games,except you that is.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

So you prefer nice animation over an actual combat that depends on the player skills and the in game improvement. In risen you get new attacks with every new level of the weapon skills. It actually manage to make you want to improve while having a dilemma about where to invest. Risen melee is in times better than Gothic 2.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IS truth that PB will make a Gothic remake???
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsro...on-a-new-game-every-gothic-fan-should-ha/z21a

I can't imagine Gothic 1 HD being released on 2019/2010. If people cry by the lack of Afropolish in witcher, imagine a game where people literally threat woman as propriety.... Of course, convicts in a medieval penal colony will threat woman that way. But just imagine the butthurt...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

So you prefer nice animation over an actual combat that depends on the player skills and the in game improvement. In risen you get new attacks with every new level of the weapon skills. It actually manage to make you want to improve while having a dilemma about where to invest. Risen melee is in times better than Gothic 2.

Most of the additional moves ended up being gimmicks. Yeah, I prefer the more varied enemy movesets and improving animations of Gothic 2 to a few additional gimmick buttons to press.
And an actual spell system (if poorly balanced) to 3 different crystal colors.

Yeah, but in Risen 1 you actually have to use the combat system.
Gothic 2 you can play without using any of its features.

Spell system of Gothic 2 is horrible. You can use Skeletons and Ice Block and the rest isn't worth it.
I went into the spell system thinking i would throw fire balls but did you actually play it that way?
Of the normal magic spells nothing makes enough damage to make it worthwhile.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I remember being brutally murdered... repeatedly... until I learned the enemy patterns and the combat system.
The combat might be simple, but skill plays a great role in Gothic 2... unless you're way overlevelled and brutally murder everything... but that's only a small fraction of the game (like chapter 4) and also fun for a short while.

Did you really learn patterns or did you just skill combat skill and got a better weapon?

What are these patterns? What is the pattern of a snapper compared with a lizard or wolf?
They run at you and try to make damage.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Unfair question because up to now, every pirate RPG was mediocre, except for the original Sid Meier's Pirates! if you consider that an RPG. And that one was very successful at its time and became a classic, because it was good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Unfair question because up to now, every pirate RPG was mediocre, except for the original Sid Meier's Pirates! if you consider that an RPG. And that one was very successful at its time and became a classic, because it was good.
Also there are a few similar games like age of pirates.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Spell system of Gothic 2 is horrible. You can use Skeletons and Ice Block and the rest isn't worth it.

Not true. On G2, a scroll that allow you to shapechange into a animal can allow you to steamroll enemies from most of chap 1. And on late game, army of darkness and fire rain can trivialize undead dragon. As for skeleton, mainly skeleton goblins, the problem of then is VS enemies with high armor.

How does that make the spell system any better? Shapeshifting is far too op and you can clear the whole map with it early on.
Army of darkness and fire rain come in the last act. Its too late by then.

Most of the game you are stuck with skeletons or ice block.
Damage spells dont do anything.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Did you really learn patterns or did you just skill combat skill and got a better weapon?

What are these patterns? What is the pattern of a snapper compared with a lizard or wolf?
They run at you and try to make damage.

Don't remember lizards much. But wolfs will run to you and try to bite you, while snappers will constantly try to charge you (and 2-hit kill early) - major difference, you need to evade their charge, go out of their way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom