Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 5 is coming?!

Big Wrangle

PB still didn't quite return to the form of the first two Gothic games; I'd rather see how ELEX 2 pans out first.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I talked with someone that watched the whole stream and he can confirm this is fake news, there is no part in the stream where they talk about Gothic 5 being in development.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I cannot find any info in English, but it seems that Björn Pankratz during the stream has said that PB has recently started the pre-production of Gothic 5.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/269048901

https://www.playground.ru/blogs/other/idyot_rabota_nad_gothic_5-305114/
They got grant from state to make ELEX 2, and because theirs team would have hard time to release something with decent graphic and size, it's unlikely they would do TWO games simultaneously.

Gothic 5 IS Elex 2.

The ominous "aliens" who sent the ELEX comet at Magalan were Orks from Myrtana, after Xardas went full SJW. They started looking for alternate worlds to settle, and sent some of the magic ore from the colony ahead, to use in their future ventures. But the space radiation changed this ore into ELEX.

<Cutscene of Xardas chasing Mud with a jet-pack>

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I think the biggest issue PB got with newer Gothic titles is the scale of it all.
I haven't played Risen or Elex, but if there is something iconic about Gothic 1/2 it is the fact that both are relatively compact, snugly games with - as kind of a compensation for the lack of a big map - highly detailed landscapes and gameplay.
My guess is, that was a necessity at the time - very likely for financial reasons.

And now - in possession of the necessary funds - they try to apply the same level of detail to a much bigger scale. But that's not really how it works, isn't it? It seems to me that the complexity and effort of making such worlds increases exponentially. It's not sufficient to just throw three times the developers at a game to get three times the content of Gothic.

If they really make Gothic 5, they should just shrink it down.
Just make a game as big as Gothic 2 - hell, maybe even as big as Gothic 1 and play it safe.
That game would be done faster, cost less and it would be easier to test and fix.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think the biggest issue PB got with newer Gothic titles is the scale of it all.
I haven't played Risen or Elex, but if there is something iconic about Gothic 1/2 it is the fact that both are relatively compact, snugly games with - as kind of a compensation for the lack of a big map - highly detailed landscapes and gameplay.
My guess is, that was a necessity at the time - very likely for financial reasons.

Risen is a more compact space as you say, and worked out of the box much better than Gothic 3 perhaps as a result. Risen 2 and 3 were a series of smaller islands. I haven't played Elex yet, but it seems they learned the lesson you wanted them to from Gothic 3's failure.

Dodo1610

Arcane
PB got the rights back for Gothic a few years ago. That's why Arcania dropped the Gothic 4 title.
Wrong they allways held the rights to Gothic. But after Gothic 3 they allowed Jowood to make Addons to Gothic 3 and a sequel. Since Pb was finished the Gothic series.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
PB got the rights back for Gothic a few years ago. That's why Arcania dropped the Gothic 4 title.
Wrong they allways held the rights to Gothic. But after Gothic 3 they allowed Jowood to make Addons to Gothic 3 and a sequel. Since Pb was finished the Gothic series.

http://www.gothicz.net/serie-gothic/mike-hoge-talks-about-gothic/

Gothicz.net: Mike, last question. If you had a chance to win the rights for Gothic back, would you consider it? Is there a possibility, that you ever develop another Gothic?

Mike: We get the rights to Gothic back when we have finished Risen 2. Why? Because we did only sell them to our ex-publisher for a certain amount of time ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom