Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic II: NotR, Stone Dragon

merry andrew

Erudite
I'm a level 30 Paladin wearing knight's armor. I have a two-handed consecrated magic ore blade (140 damage) and 120 strength. My two-handed weapon skill is 80%. I have around 530 hitpoints.

I've never been able to kill this dragon (Stone Dragon, Chapter 4). I stopped playing Gothic II without the expansion because I couldn't get past it, and now here I am again, better prepared and still unable to kill it. I haven't tried wearing belts and rings that protect against fire, but then again what seems to make this battle so difficult is its breath attack, which knocks me into the air and subsequently injures because of the fall. Not to mention that while I'm incapacitated, the dragon regenerates its health.

I've read guides and walkthroughs and apparently this dragon can be killed with any level 30-35 character, with any weapon, in two-to-three hits.

I'm gonna keep trying different strategies with different equipment, but I'm pathetic so please help me. Thanks!

Micmu

Magister
Hmm... I don't remember having any major trouble beating the dragons.
Do you have the refilled amulet and have you talked to the dragon first? Without doing this, the dragon is unkillable.

merry andrew

Erudite
Yeah, I did. I checked the Jowood forums though and found an almost identical help post. The last reply says to summon a demon, because it should be able to take the dragon out by itself. They were right. When the demon died, the dragon was almost dead, and I was then able to finish it off before it killed me.

Lame :P

Abernathy

Scholar
That's weird - I must have played Gothic II through at least three times, once for each faction, and never had a problem knocking off the dragons in any of them, without calling in any cavalry to help.

With your loadout you should easily beat the crap out of him, but from memory you need to take heed of the jewellery side of things - I can vaguely remember having to swap some magical protections/boosters around to deal with the dragons.

I can also remember getting swatted and landing on my arse a lot :)

Edit: Just reread your post and it's the NoTR expansion, which I don't have and may make things more difficult, so possibly read my post accompanied by a grain or two of salt...

merry andrew

Erudite
It seems to pretty much just be difficult. I'm at the Fire Dragon now, and it does the same thing. Looks like I'm off to find another scroll of demon summoning, ha.

Atrokkus

Erudite
WEll, I don't quite remember my dragon fights back in the days of non-notr G2, and in NoTR I remember killing them all easily with, yeah, you guessed it, Beliar's Claw! *but* that's only in case you're not a paladin (i was a merc).

Mages have no prob with dragons because of the uber monster summoning.

Anyways, for me, several dungeons (like, the undead-ridden one near the merc camp) proved to be much more challengin that the dragons.

Anyways, another reason might be your movement: you gotta jump, strafe a lot, try to time your attacks to get that window between the fire hurls.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You have to wait until you're close enough to see the Fear in the Dragon's eyes, then hit the flashing jewel in its chest 3 times with your Master Sword.

merry andrew

Erudite
Ha, yeah I sank Beliar's Claw.

I tried for about an hour using various melee approaches and was never able to get the dragon more than half-way down before it would injure me so much that I needed to heal, and at that point it had already regenerated the bulk of the damage I'd done, so it was an endless cycle. Even quick in-and-out tactics didn't work because with a potion of speed I could never get a non-frontal position with them (the way to take down trolls) because they'd rotate exactly with my movement and keep spewing that knock-around breath. This also made exiting melee a pain, as it usually resulted in getting knocked around, ha.

I killed all of the dragons with single demon summons. For two of the dragons, the summoned demon was able to take it down without my help. The knock-around breath attack apparently only does fire damage to the demons, because it doesn't seem to move them.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Also, use Heal spell extensively. Through scrolls, if you are non-mage. I managed to use it quite well even during battle. But its quite risky, of course.

Hmm, I seem to forget whether dragons are immune to crossbow or not... Well, magic arrows/bolts will do damage, but there are just too few of them around, and long ways to go for em.

merry andrew

Erudite
aweigh said:
You have to wait until you're close enough to see the Fear in the Dragon's eyes, then hit the flashing jewel in its chest 3 times with your Master Sword.
I can see the Fear in the Dragon's eyes because I wear the Eye of Innos and can bend it to my will (for a short time)... ahahahahahahaha evil beware!

Emily

Arcane
Yeah there is a problem with fire mage as well.
As none of your spells work so you are forced to cheese it with summon deamon.
Meh

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If the guy still checks this forum after nine years I'm sure he appreciates your reply.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I would have liked to see him fare against the penultimate dragon, the one that's bugged so if he knocks you off your feet you fall through the floor to your death.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought you could beat the stonedragon only after having a weed reefer.

Then I realized it was a Stone Dragon.

Murk

Arcane
> general gaming
> gothic 2

ok, which one of you fuckers am I going to punch the shit out of?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It probably was me :lol:

EDIT: I just checked, the author made the thread here, it was not moved.

Gothic's I and II were first and foremost PC games, so I would not have moved it (back in the old PC vs Console Forum days).

Emily

Arcane
You can beat all the dragon's in this game by demon summons
Yeah and it is the only true bad design in NOTR

Being able to use scrolls at 5 mana is just a bad design.
It has implications that any character could beat dragons if he had 250 gold to buy a scroll.

Which is why i like playing gothic 2 over NOTR for that one reason.

There is also the issue that dragons are impossible IMO as a both sword and mage char to beat without demon or fire rain scrolls which breaks my immersion of outherwise perfect almost perfect setting

sullynathan

Arcane
You can beat all the dragon's in this game by demon summons
Yeah and it is the only true bad design in NOTR

Being able to use scrolls at 5 mana is just a bad design.
It has implications that any character could beat dragons if he had 250 gold to buy a scroll.

Which is why i like playing gothic 2 over NOTR for that one reason.

There is also the issue that dragons are impossible IMO as a both sword and mage char to beat without demon or fire rain scrolls which breaks my immersion of outherwise perfect almost perfect setting
Yeah, even as an op paladin these bitches would not die by my greatsword. I tried too many times and kept failing.
It made all the dragon fights mundane. Even makes the fire mage mundane because the class now becomes a summoner class.

aleph

Arcane

Melee + black ore works too

Murk

Arcane
You can always melee them to death with sword, tho it becomes tedious with their healing. Last play through as a mage, I used the beliar rune to summon a zombie and had it face tank while I hacked at it with the master sword.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom