Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
But if we were to be as reductionist as you were in you last post, no action game could be consider good in it's mechanics.
Bruh, at this point it's barebones to the point it can't be called anything else. Stop trying to pull words out of your butt and attaching them to my name.

Where the fuck are the QTE's here?
'k, I'll call it Dance Dance Revolution-style.

The idea of defending against attacks from different directions is actually a pretty neat idea, but another thing that pissed me off is that a mouse is an unreliable tool for this.

Murk

Arcane
If this game was not called Gothic, would you still hate it?

Even if made in a new setting, it needs a lot of work to be good. Right now it's mediocre and bland with some massive cringe/facepalm thrown in for good measure (mostly the dialog, particularly the main character's) -- it is unclear what is "final" in the teaser (is combat basically done? are there any plans to allow you to climb any ledge/go in water/run up mountains?) and what is in the work for massive overhaul, but my view is that it has potential to be an okay action rpg. HOWEVER, if the current game was just multiplied by 50x (and actually loaded textures/didn't blind you) then it'd be a "meh" 4/10 at best situation.

If they revise some of the busted systems, give more freedom of movement, clean up the dialog, clean up the UI, overhaul the combat completely, then it could be a "pretty fun game and good entry for a first time developer", something like a true non-IGN 7/10.

But specifically in Gothic's shadow, it is garbage and insulting.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Bruh, at this point it's barebones to the point it can't be called anything else.

And I agreed with you on this point.
But I tough you were talking about the system itself being way too simple.

The idea of defending against attacks from different directions is actually a pretty neat idea, but another thing that pissed me off is that a mouse is an unreliable tool for this.

Not really, you get accustomed to it after a couple of hours.
If the mouse wasn't the one to control this, then the most logical choice would be to tie the stances to the movement buttons. Which would for obvious reasons be a clusterfuck.
Besides in the mouse you also have the LMB, MMB and RMB (and then the prev + next buttons in 5 button mouses), which makes the mouse a much more confortable and reliable peripheral to use in this context than the keyboard.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The combat is the WEAKEST part of G1 remake. I mean, fighting packs of wolves at lv 0 and they needing 8 bites to kill you while you need to hit then 10 times and the combat is hard scripted is just awful.

Of course it's ass in its current state. I'm talking potential. Really well executed For Honor-ish combat could work for Gothic. It's directional based like the original, you could chain combos on successful hits and good timing like in the original and it's would penalize button mashing like the original.

This is not rocket science bro.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here is my Uneducated Review of this thing.

Amazing video.
2:40 - I also had the impression that the game was being developed with controller in mind.
3:30 - Strongly agree. Compare Daggerfall/Morrowind with Oblivion/Skyrim. Hell compare even Witcher 1 who generated the motto "pc master race" with Witcher 3. There are fewer games who have depth in consoles like Dark Souls but even DkS would have much more deph if was made with a M&K in mind.
3:10 - On Pc you can have dozens of options to choose, on consoles, only 4
5:00 - Amazing example.
8:00 - Amazing detail. The time stop menu is another dumbed down mechanic. The insta teleport healing potion to your belly too.

The last time that we got a console focused game who tries to appeal to the lowest denominator, was ArcaniA.

I an playing G1 with the Golden mod. Even at lv 4, wolves was 2~3 HKilling me and hitting quick. On Gothic remake, i felt no danger on fighting then. Takes too much to die and i can insta heal with no problem.

Then i joined the swamp camp and got the novice robes who gives a little of armor. Now one or two wolves aren't a problem, but a pack is. I have magic, but is too weak to use on combat. Only circle 2 with 10 mana. I an playing and wanting to get circle 3 soon as possible. Without circle 3, considering my low STR, clear the minecrawlers would be a nightmare. If i need to be hit 20 times to die and can insta heal, i would just rush to the MQ because i have not to prepare myself to the challenge. Gothic 1 remake is IMO awful if is meant to be a Gothic game and a average game is is meant to be a console generic AA ARPG.

PS: Subscribed on your channel. Good video.

sHuRuLuNi

Barely Literate

This is the most low-energy rant I've heard.
Were you trying to be careful to not wake up your neighbors when you recorded this?

I really was actually, well, not so much the neighbors as my wife and kids. I do not have a "studio" like other "pro" YouTubers and have to actually work for a living :)

sHuRuLuNi

Barely Literate

Amazing video.
2:40 - I also had the impression that the game was being developed with controller in mind.
3:30 - Strongly agree. Compare Daggerfall/Morrowind with Oblivion/Skyrim. Hell compare even Witcher 1 who generated the motto "pc master race" with Witcher 3. There are fewer games who have depth in consoles like Dark Souls but even DkS would have much more deph if was made with a M&K in mind.
3:10 - On Pc you can have dozens of options to choose, on consoles, only 4
5:00 - Amazing example.
8:00 - Amazing detail. The time stop menu is another dumbed down mechanic. The insta teleport healing potion to your belly too.

The last time that we got a console focused game who tries to appeal to the lowest denominator, was ArcaniA.

I an playing G1 with the Golden mod. Even at lv 4, wolves was 2~3 HKilling me and hitting quick. On Gothic remake, i felt no danger on fighting then. Takes too much to die and i can insta heal with no problem.

Then i joined the swamp camp and got the novice robes who gives a little of armor. Now one or two wolves aren't a problem, but a pack is. I have magic, but is too weak to use on combat. Only circle 2 with 10 mana. I an playing and wanting to get circle 3 soon as possible. Without circle 3, considering my low STR, clear the minecrawlers would be a nightmare. If i need to be hit 20 times to die and can insta heal, i would just rush to the MQ because i have not to prepare myself to the challenge. Gothic 1 remake is IMO awful if is meant to be a Gothic game and a average game is is meant to be a console generic AA ARPG.

Thx mate.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO THQ Nordic should hire the guys from popular mods. Eg - Gothic 2 - Returning 2.0, Gothic 1 - Golden mod, Dark Mysteries, etc. But looks like they are trying to appeal to Angry Joe like guys, not to the gothic fanbase.

sullynathan

Arcane
Minus all the shitposting, shit combat and really poor performance, unskippable cutscenes and dialogue, terrible dialogue, bad animations, contextual actions, controller UI regardless of using Keyboard + mouse, and voice acting involved the one quest I did is actually pretty good and the environments look pretty even though it doesn't "feel" like Gothic.

Diego sends me to get a sword, I find a guy and he says he'll give me a sword if I kill another guy and get his pendant. I fight the guy and spare him so he tells me the whole truth, so he gives me another quest to heal him and tells me to bring him a healing whatever quickly. I report to the original guy with a lie and he eventually believes me and gives me my reward, then I go back to the 2nd guy and the first guy is there and kills him and swears revenge.

I then go and eventually find the cave where the pendant unlocked a chest for a better sword and rewards, then the first guy finds me when I'm leaving, gets mad at me for lying and kills me. Nice.

There are other ways the quest plays out without lying, or killing the second guy instead of sparing him, etc. If they can fix the other shit before the 2021 STEAM release date, it would be a pretty cool game.

Darkzone

Arcane
Congratulation that you have subscribed to a islam apologetic. That does not understand that putting a lit dynamite rod in own ass and screaming admiral ackbar to blow someone up is the reason for reasonable fear of islam. I would recommend to you, to carefully watch his previous videos and the videos that he reposted from other creators.

sHuRuLuNi

Barely Literate
Congratulation that you have subscribed to a islam apologetic. That does not understand that putting a lit dynamite rod in own ass and screaming admiral ackbar to blow someone up is the reason for reasonable fear of islam. I would recommend to you, to carefully watch his previous videos and the videos that he reposted from other creators.

I really wouldn't know what my religious affiliation has got to do with any of this. My reviews are objective, independent and politically incorrect since I do not mince my words and unlike many other YouTubers I won't accept to lie about a game just to get a sponsorship. But then again, maybe the fact that I won't do that is precisely because of my religious affiliation, who knows.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If this game was not called Gothic, would you still hate it?
Is that a serious question? It plays like a shitty generic AAA "RPG." Regardless of whether or not it's presented as a Gothic game: 1) the combat is fucking horrible; 2) the post-processing is fucking horrible; 3) the writing is fucking horrible; 4) and the numerous amount of dumbed-down shit like arrows pointing to lootable items is fucking horrible.

So, yeah, by any other name the game is fucking horrible.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A good place to look what a community of a game wanna is the modding community. Eg. Fallout 4 most popular mod removed dialog wheel. Nobody likes it. If Dialog wheel persists on Gothic remake, i can bet that the most popular mod will bring old dialog system back. Same with blight colors... What people mod about Gothic 1 is to add new options. Eg - Not be able to become a Baal/Guru was a huge disappointment for me in the first game. Golden mod fixes it.

On Gothic 3, the most popular mod is the community path who fixes bugs and add a optional balancing that makes the game far more harder and interesting, exactly because due JoWood pressuring PB to release G3 before it was ready, the game was launched with TONS of bugs and wasen't proper balanced. Rain of Fire, a circle 5 spell on first game and circle 6 in second, now requires much less mana and only requires AK to be learned... You see people modding polearms into skyrim, trying(without success) to make spears use a different animation on G3, you see people additing new clans like lasombra on VtMB, making energy useful on for necros and improving the end game(path of diablo), but i NEVER saw a mod or anyone asking to make the hero talk in a "sissy" way and narrate everything, questmarkers, wolves who can survive tons of hits and players who doesn't need to fear the wild life. Exactly because nobody wants it. At least people who wanna it enough to mod the game. Maybe there are like 2/3 people who will see the dialog wheel and think that is amazing.

A lot of people criticize BeamDog enhanced edition from BG/IWD, but if you don't like BD new companions, just don't recruit one. If you don't like new classes, just don't play as a dragon disciple. most beamdog BS is pure optional as any change other than graphics should be.

ultra loser

Scholar
I saw the gameplay without the knowledge that it's an official remake and I thought it's some fan remake made in Unity. I don't know what's the point of it, it's differs from the original too much so fans won't like it and zoomers won't like it either because it looks and plays like some low budget game.

Instead of that they should have outsourced some menial work on Elex 2 to that barcelona studio.

Darkzone

Arcane
I really wouldn't know what my religious affiliation has got to do with any of this. My reviews are objective, independent and politically incorrect since I do not mince my words and unlike many other YouTubers I won't accept to lie about a game just to get a sponsorship. But then again, maybe the fact that I won't do that is precisely because of my religious affiliation, who knows.
What it has to do with your religious affination ( mindset or paradigma)? Nobody can leave them self behind and talk without bringing themself and their worldview again into discussion of a different topic. And since a religion is as its founder was, so is also the worldview of their follower. And look at the direct fruits (deeds and results of their deeds) of the religion founder so you will recognise the ending made by the followers of the religion.
And therefore i have written the previous response to your video:
Keep up this and ONLY this good work.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played this on my channel recently and I didn't really like it; some of the main points:

1. The Nameless Hero seems to be more like Geralt than like himself. I think it's jumping on trends, also, he talks to much, especially in the beginning. It almost seems like the Character is acting for an audience, commenting every little thing he does.
2. The Atmosphere - The non dramatic entrance into the Valley in Gothic 1 was done so for good reasons. You were able to experience the Colony in a normal day, all the ruthlessness and your position as the absolute bottom of a predefined chain was made abundantly clear from the first moment. There was nothing that happened that was extraordinary for the Colony upon your arrival, you had to embrace the way of life the Colony offered and find a place for yourself. Contrast that with the remake entrance: Explosions, fire, death, Snappers, stupid comments, Superhero Diego. It destroyed any semblance of the atmosphere felt in the original.
3. It seems every fight with an NPC ends in death. No more beating down NPCs, at least I didn't see it happen in the hour or something I played.
4. The new combat system seems inferior to the old one, might be personal preference only.
5. Dialogue wheel - four options only? Smells like Fallout 4 to me and a limiting factor to dialogue generally.
6. I don't like the new armors and I don't know why they felt the need to mess with the original designs.
7. The whole thing smells like Consoles and I felt like I'm playing Assassins Creed more than a Gothic game.

Is PB even involved in this?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

No, only THQ Barcelona(never heard about then before)

Anyway, this remake only makes me appreciate the Beamdog work more. I mean, they implemented awful companions? And did other awful things? Yes, but most beamdog BS is optional BS. You can choose to not play with newer companions. This remake is much more "gothic 1 story with modern AAA bs"

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

No, only THQ Barcelona(never heard about then before)

Anyway, this remake only makes me appreciate the Beamdog work more. I mean, they implemented awful companions? And did other awful things? Yes, but most beamdog BS is optional BS. You can choose to not play with newer companions. This remake is much more "gothic 1 story with modern AAA bs"

Well this is matter of what turd smells worse isn't it?

In actuality i would argue that beamdog had less reason to so, they sold their game based on "enhancing" the old not remaking it from scratch. Compared I would give THQN Barcelona definitely some leeway here even though the teaser goes far, far too much down the deep end.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand the whole situation around it, PB got the Gothic license back, right? They own it now? So they had to at least give an okay for someone to do this?

Xeon

Augur
PB is owned by THQ and THQ are the ones who decided to remake Gothic without PB's input I think.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I just hope they drop the current dialogue system. :M Anyone that came up with the idea of dialogu wheel should be burned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom