Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

sullynathan

Arcane
Why is there a thread for this shitgame, but none for Gothic which turned 15 years some days ago?

since people won't stop bitching because gothic didn't get a thread, here it is.

How do you feel about Gothic? How will codexia celebrate this momentous occasion? New review?

Gothic is awesome. Very underrated among the general public, which is to be expected since it's from a European company and didn't have much marketing/name recognition behind it, but sadly, also underrated here at the Codex. On the top 70 list, it is a mere 26, when in reality, it should be in the top 10 alongside its sequel. It's a bit less polished and smaller than Gothic 2 + NotR, but in return, it has the better atmosphere and gameworld. Being stuck in a prison colony is brilliant, and who can forget walking into the Old Camp for the first time, its giant gates welcoming you into its warm run-down outer slums that look more real and lived-in than any other RPG settlement. The first time you heard a Shadowbeast in the dark woods, ran into an orc (and reloaded), watched some guy piss behind his hut, or several guys sitting around a campfire...

This game showed how to properly do open world RPGs and shamed Bethesda into borrowing many of their ideas (and still failing to implement them properly). It just did so many things so well. It's one of the very few RPGs to implement a decent action combat system. It had amazing exploration because of the combination of open world and unique hand-placed content. Graphics were great for the time, and they made a lot of great decisions, like for example, going for simple, stripped down interiors, which allowed them to seamlessly load them and avoid the constant loading screens of Bethesda games. The faction system was great as well, and to this day, there isn't an RPG that lets you "feel" being a part of some faction in the way that Gothic did. The great NPC scripting that made the world come so alive. One of the first games to have full voice-overs of dialogue, which some people here might criticize, but it added a lot to the atmosphere and "realness" of the world.

If you haven't played it yet, slap yourself and go play it NAO!

Deleted Member 16721

Gothic is awesome. Very underrated among the general public, which is to be expected since it's from a European company and didn't have much marketing/name recognition behind it, but sadly, also underrated here at the Codex. On the top 70 list, it is a mere 26, when in reality, it should be in the top 10 alongside its sequel. It's a bit less polished and smaller than Gothic 2 + NotR, but in return, it has the better atmosphere and gameworld. Being stuck in a prison colony is brilliant, and who can forget walking into the Old Camp for the first time, its giant gates welcoming you into its warm run-down outer slums that look more real and lived-in than any other RPG settlement. The first time you heard a Shadowbeast in the dark woods, ran into an orc (and reloaded), watched some guy piss behind his hut, or several guys sitting around a campfire...

This game showed how to properly do open world RPGs and shamed Bethesda into borrowing many of their ideas (and still failing to implement them properly). It just did so many things so well. It's one of the very few RPGs to implement a decent action combat system. It had amazing exploration because of the combination of open world and unique hand-placed content. Graphics were great for the time, and they made a lot of great decisions, like for example, going for simple, stripped down interiors, which allowed them to seamlessly load them and avoid the constant loading screens of Bethesda games. The faction system was great as well, and to this day, there isn't an RPG that lets you "feel" being a part of some faction in the way that Gothic did. The great NPC scripting that made the world come so alive. One of the first games to have full voice-overs of dialogue, which some people here might criticize, but it added a lot to the atmosphere and "realness" of the world.

If you haven't played it yet, slap yourself and go play it NAO!

Well said, PorkyThePaladin, well said!

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The first Gothic stays the greatest game I ever played!
I made a little bit more detailed post in my thread Which part of the Gothic series is the best, but just to keep it short: the atmosphere was only matched once (by Vagrant Story for Playstation), and in addition with everything else including the already mentioned genious setting I really never experienced anything like it again.
Rarely are there games which come close (like PS:T or KotOR II), but never until now was there any game which beat it.
:love:

Last edited:

pippin

I remember Gothic was mentioned in some magazines I used to read. Never a full feature, but only small reviews with small pictures. Adding to the mystery was the fact that most of them talked about it as some sort of thing only hardcore people would play, not in a "ugh this game is for nerds", more like "you're too much of a pussy to play this game". On top of that, none of my friends know about this game. I do believe it's an excellent rpg, and while I think it deserves more recognition, at the same time it's best to leave it as it is, something of a niche series,

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I think all the Gothics sucked and I don't understand why people piss their pants over this shit. These games the Kotors, and Morrowind where the end of the crpgs and start of the fucking rpg-lite talky talk shit fest we have had for the last 15 years. It really bothered me that people that liked actual good games were jumping full steam ahead on the shit rpg-lite bandwagon for these atrocities. Like VD and Dhruin.

There have been very few action games with rpg elements that have strove to be not inclusive monkey savage shit, and the only one coming to mind right now (there are more but I can't think of them) was Bloodlines.

Fuck you console bitches and your rpg-lite monkey fodder.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never really able to get to Gothic series because for arpgs the control was in my opinion very clunky. Might need to revisit the series in the future.

Got bored and left

One of my favourite games, and one of the reasons I got into cRPGs in the first place, despite the clunky controls and all that. Also one of the few games (along with the sequel) that I regularly revisit, a real gem, unparalleled when it comes to atmosphere.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Daily reminder that Old Camp OST is one of best city/settlements themes in entire gaming.

Also, atmosphere of that game is almost as good as Thief ones. And that says much.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Gothic is also good example of "from zero to hero" where you can do revenge against Gomez (lord of this land) and other nobility and no shield nor wall stop us from it.

PS. still waiting for Returning 2.0 translation.

Cassar

Savant
I remember Gothic was mentioned in some magazines I used to read. Never a full feature, but only small reviews with small pictures. Adding to the mystery was the fact that most of them talked about it as some sort of thing only hardcore people would play, not in a "ugh this game is for nerds", more like "you're too much of a pussy to play this game". On top of that, none of my friends know about this game. I do believe it's an excellent rpg, and while I think it deserves more recognition, at the same time it's best to leave it as it is, something of a niche series,

http://i.imgur.com/TwHM9QL.jpg

Gothic was huge over here in my former communist corner of eastern europe. Almost a religious following among the, then small, local rpg comunities. This particular magazine, which started as a licensed version of the german PC Games wrote around 4 ample previews beside the review for both Gothic 2 and Gothic 3. And their Gothic section from the forums was the most active of all rpg's then. I didn't have internet at home then becaue it was slow and expensive, i used caffee's or net parlors for quick browsing. I used to think Gothic was a major international franchise, known by all, based on the hysteria that it provoked over here. Imagine my surprise later when i found out almost no one knows these games existed. When you talk about Gothic you often see "german role playing game" put in brackets, because people don't know what it is. Crazy.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember seeing preview in Secret Service magazine and was hooked on TPP games during that time. It grabbed my attention and when I heard it was released I made a one day purchase just to satisfy my addiction. I suspected it would be good, since the developers promised an open world. I was so hooked, that I started writing a walkthrough to make it longer and was astonished how a no name company could make such a good game. The music, different factions, the feel of adventure and that you could go anywhere with the day/night cycles... With the word of mouth the game was really big in Poland after some time.
I really need to replay second part with NOTR this year.

m_s0

Arcane
Yeah, Gothic is a classic in potatoland. Pretty much everyone played it, or at least tried it. It ended up on several coverdiscs, even. People ate it up, and by the time 3 was supposed to be coming out it was a huge deal. I have no idea about the sales side of things, but it felt like a major release, on par with the likes of Oblivion.

It terrifies me that Gothic 3 will be 10 this year.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It terrifies me that Gothic 3 will be 10 this year

And it still run poorly.
First game (this and Supreme Commander) that required 4 cores but only decade later, when SSD became a thing, it made a difference.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I always wonder why no crpg developer ever took inspiration from the way the faction system were handled in both gothic titles. Its like miles ahead of everything else ever done in that regard. In Gothic when i joined a faction and finally wore their armor (something that the game made you want from the first time you set foot in any settlement) and walked through their camp, i felt like i am actually a part of their society. I talked to people and the ones who liked me congratulated me and felt happy for me, and the ones who hated my guts muttered some words of how i will fuck up anyways or something. Even in other camps relationships with certain people changed for me.

Its by itself just a minor "fluff" form of reactivity, but it breathes so much life into those settlements that it makes you actually feel at home. I dont know when i ever felt anything that clear and strong in any videogame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom