Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Except you keep posting about how you uninstall games because of controls. Therefore you are a casual retard and a newfag.

Oh yeah, like that time I complained about... Gothic, and no other game.

I know right?
And it feels like you are controlling a tank, wtf were they thinking?!
Fucking Eurotrash is all this is.

Sorry folks, but you really have to admit that this crap just can't compete with today's standards for melee fighting games.
Just compare this clunky mess to something as fluid as Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed is sure a funny way to refer to Morrowind, which came one year after Gothic and had useful mouse support, for a change. Better animations, fluid combat, etc., I don't give a crap about it. I just want decent controls, which includes mouse support since there's a fucking mouse right there on my computer.

I begin to understand how the "great RPG" criteria works in the Codex.

1) Grab a random RPG.
2) Give it a shitty UI, shit controls, or something really annoying.
3) 10/10 Top 70 RPGs.

dcnIxue.png
Nope.
The only thing I bitch about regarding Arcanum is that it's just an unbalanced mess with shitty UI and atricious combat.
So for me it's a turd because I don't care about story C&C, I'm a gameplay fag.

And no offense, UglyBastard , but why do you even try to explain that stuff.
I see that mistake very often in these discussions, you vastly overestimate the discussionists.
Chances are that whoever criticizes Gothic controls for being "clunky" or "like a tank" is just way too dense to realize that that's intended, because your char isn't supposed to be a skilled fighter in the beginning. No explaining will help here, because he would rather insist on his opinion than admitting that he was a superficial retard that didn't even try to grasp the game mechanics.

Games are just too omnipresent today, and everything that's not instantly "accessible" will have its fair share of fucktards that didn't even try and condemn it just because why not and hurrdurr, let's troll some fanbois.
:happytrollboy:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Also you can install system pack and play it with keyboard+mouse like any other third person actionrpg.
Eh..? Pretty sure mouse look was in the game from the get go. Maybe there are some options that needed to be toggled, but i don't remember installing any mods for that.

Yeah but without the system pack, mouse controls are clunky as fuck. System Pack turns off the 20 fps-lock (which improves the responsivity by lightyears), fastens camerascrolling with your mouse and adds some more minor tweaks to it.

Its still not perfect because its still a bit spongy, but its definitely tolerable.
Huh? Is that installed by default in the GoG version? :?
Because I just tried that one out and controls sure as hell weren't "clunky as fuck". Controls are just like I remember it, with left mouse button working like sort of a control key, so only in conjunction with some directional key except for dialogues. It's a quirk but also a nice retard detector.
And the char doesn't move like a derwish like in Twitcher games and many other modern ARPGs, you see right from the beginning that this game completely revolves around the combat and about timing your char's limited combat skills.

Can't remember the controls to be clunky back when I last played the game too and I never played any Gothic game with keyboard only.
20 fps is good enough I guess, didn't even notice that it's that low. But you are right, doesn't go higher than 22 using Fraps.

Only thing that's irritating me in the moment is that my monitor has to be on the same resolution as the game or it will not start properly.
Oh and that you can't minimize it, reacts highly allergic to that.
Anyway, thx, will try that system pack out, maybe it also helps with the above mentioned.

my control scheme for playing with the mouse:
ctuVnVv.jpg
The keys for turning left and right are outsourced to left and right arrow keys, don't need them anyway, the mouse is for turning around.
Many games back then had that quirk, separate keys for turning around even with mouselook. Here the preset "alternative control scheme" has Q and E as turn around keys.
Designers didn't really understand WASD back then. :lol:

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Nope its not installed by default, though theres a link to it in some sticky thread on the gog subforum for gothic series. With "clunky as fuck" i meant the mouselook and also partially how your character responds in combat. You will get what i mean if you install it, the 20 fps lock creates quite some input lag in various situations.

Also the game looks better because of the more fluent animations, its really a must pick for the game. I really dont get why GOG didnt implent it by default.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
People tlaking about skills and how the character responds in combat, when all I ever mentioned was the lack of proper mouse support (which is all I care about, next thing I'm gonna hear is "you unlock mouse support as your character gets better, brah" or some stupid shit).

Never change, Codex.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It doesn't lack a proper mouse support, though it would be better if you first specified what ''proper'' stands for you.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It doesn't lack a proper mouse support, though it would be better if you first specified what ''proper'' stands for you.

Being able to move the camera around (zoom in/out, turning the camera left/right) and attack using the mouse buttons.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I think all the Gothics sucked and I don't understand why people piss their pants over this shit.

You are an american that's why.

Why are the original Realms of Arkania trilogy my favorites? Why do I love the remake? Why do I love Blackguards 1? Why do I like Drakensang 1 and 2 way better than the BGs? Why do I like any heavy crpg game made in whatever country way better than the inclusive rpg-lite trash that is mostly made in America? I don't care where a game was made as long as it values the meaty crpg traditions. Gothic was rpg-lite talky shit with no depth. Unless you are saying only Americans have good taste and Eurotrash peasants are more able to value rpg-lite inclusive games for monkeys since they are far less smart, know their place in regards to their betters, and like to have their hands held?

Kahr

Why are the original Realms of Arkania trilogy my favorites? Why do I love the remake?
You DO love the Realms of Arkania remake? Did i miss something? Is it finally playable or are you just retarded?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron

Being able to move the camera around (zoom in/out, turning the camera left/right) and attack using the mouse buttons.
q.e.d.

Why are the original Realms of Arkania trilogy my favorites? Why do I love the remake?
You DO love the Realms of Arkania remake? Did i miss something? Is it finally playable or are you just retarded?
It's not, at least not if you expect a modicum of care put into your games instead of hastily and shoddily put together pieces from the Unity asset store that don't fit.
And he's Roqua, should explain all.

UglyBastard

Arcane

Ok, so I just started the game to see if I remember it completely wrong from my latest playthrough last year.

I can zoom in and out with the mousewheel and move around with the mouse just fine, albeit a bit sluggishly, fixed by turning the mouse sensitivity up and using the keyboard complementary if I want to 180° quickly.

And why the fuck would you want to attack with a mouse button? :retarded: Do you even know how the combat system works? Attack on mouse button makes no sense, you need at least four keys to control your character in combat (forward, left and right swing + block) and use the mouse to focus on the enemy you plan to attack by holding down left mouse button and release when you want to reposition or switch target.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Yes, yes, and most likely according to who you ask. It is not just playable, but has a lot of new content and if you speak German has a lot of mods as well. Some of the bteer mods were already included as part of the free dlc. But this game is way better than the original now and they are far into the development of Star Trails.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR

Umm.. all of this, except the attack thing IS available. Did you even check the options?
The attack thing is the only issue i can imagine being frustrating for people, who are used to twitchers of modern games. Instead of clickety-clicking a foe to death, the LMB buttons serves as a 'combat stance' buttone, while WASD is used to navigate your sword left-right and forward-block. It's not that hard and is way more rewarding combat system than the one, where you can put on a paperweight on the space button, go away to make a sandwich and encounter would be won by the time you returned.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
It approaches playable. Character models are still ugly as sin.
No it is completely playable. And such a subjective opinion on something superficial such as character models prove beyond doubt you place form over function and have nothing of value to add to any discussion about relevant information on what makes a game good or not when conversing with people who want good games, not shit that looks good.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Except the whole point of the remake was modern grafics. What does it add beyond a shit ton of bugs? The ability to attack diagonally?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
There is new content, new quests and travel encounters. They don't make it worth enduring that abysmal art direction and UI though.
The original was kinda beautiful in its simplicity, this "remake" drags everything out and has way too shitty modern graphics to be tempting for my inner graphix whore. Did I mention the hilariously bad art direction?
Just visit a random inn and compare the pixel art from back in the day to the pointless shit they replaced it with here.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
rpg-lite talky shit
Talky. Gothic. Really.

Do you not think it is talky? What is a talky game to you?
A game that's allegedly an RPG, but where I do nothing ELSE but talk to NPCs, that I'd call talky. In proportion to the time I spent in Gothic running away repositioning, robbing people, exploring, or fighting far exceeds the time I spent talking.
No it is completely playable. And such a subjective opinion on something superficial such as character models prove beyond doubt you place form over function and have nothing of value to add to any discussion about relevant information on what makes a game good or not when conversing with people who want good games, not shit that looks good.
Eh, I haven't played it long enough to confirm that it's fully playable, most of my crashes prior to this occurred later into the game, and hell, the character models are ugly, nothing subjective about it. Superficial though? Yeah.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
rpg-lite talky shit
Talky. Gothic. Really.

Do you not think it is talky? What is a talky game to you?
Ehh. About any rpg is more talky than Gothic games. Like any of the Bioware, BiS, Troyka, Wizardry and basically any high fantasy crap and that includes blobbers. Gothic's dialogues are very succint and mostly deals with quests, having dialogue options not longer than couple of lines and having not more than 3-4 options to begin with. There are some color commentary from NPCs and obviously the mane quest has some longer speeches from key characters, but the time you would spend in dialogues or reading lore crap would be like 1/100th of the whole game time, while it would take a lot more portion in basically every other crpg i played sans some no-name hack&slashers.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
i dont know why you even bother,he hasnt played it like the 99% games he mentions.

Roqua

Prospernaut
1st - I don't get to create my character but am stuck with some twat almost as bad as Garret in the Witcher. 2nd - I stopped playing both one and two because of all the talking. One at the first village and two at the first village. I've retried the second with a mod in the last couple years and stopped after the eight years of talking at the beginning. Awful. Why do people love games when the protagonist is a huge piece of shit that should die?

At least Gothic 3 gives you a little action before all the talking nonsense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom