Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I got the invincible ice dragon bug too. Great. What a bunch of bullshit. At least that part of the game is over. Easily the worst part of Gothic 2 yet.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Completed Gothic 2 now. That was a 50 hours pretty well spent I'd say. Pretty smooth sailing, aside from the Lares and the invincible dragon/eye of innos bug. Once I completed the conversation with any dragon, the Eye of Innos lost its charge no matter what. I still managed to kill the final dragon by using 2 wave of death scrolls rapidly, before that conversation I had charge in my eye of innos but the dragon was invincible, after the conversation it stopped being invincible but my eye had lost charge.
Oh well, at least I didn't have to cheat on the final boss. I did on all the dragons but the fire and swamp ones though.
The dragons really were the worst part of the entire game, would have been better off without them.
I think I managed to find a bug with the Seekers too. If you kill them normally, they always drop some rune making items like glacier quartz, gold and a potion, but if you manage to kill them using the damage over time of the Ice Block spell, they drop a bunch of runes, including Fire Rain and some spell that sends out a skull that deals 666 damage to anything it touches and uses all your mana. Guess it was lucky that I found that bug and got the fire rain, as otherwise I would have not been able to complete this game more than likely due to how many orcs there were, or I would have had to grind until I got fire rain in Khorinis.
Being mage was fun, but it was DAMN expensive. I spent nearly all my gold on mana potions, and those only restock at traders on a new chapter which meant that I was out of them entirely around chapter 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I have completed Gothic 1. Good game.

Did it take the roughly 20-25 hours I said it would take?

Playing Morrowind makes me wish it was Gothic instead. Whereas in Morrowind enemies become "meh" pretty quickly, every enemy killed in Gothic contributed to reaching a higher level. And because they didn't respawn (unless you advanced in chapter), you had to catch'em all.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Wait, did you completed Gothic 2 first, and now, Gothic 1? Why did you do it in reverse order?

Must be the "skip the original, the sequel is much better" syndrome. Like how everyone (outside the Codex) tells people to skip The Witcher in favor of II and III.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I liked the balancing in Gothic 1 better than Gothic 2 Night of the Raven, I feel like NotR made some mistakes with very high enemy health pools with low level enemies and having everything use up a ton of mana, when you don't actually have enough mana to kill most things with a single full mana bar towards the end or the middle section of the game. As an example, it took me 2 casts of the Fire Rain spell to kill an Orc Elite, it takes 150 mana points to cast the spell once, and I only had 280 at the very end. This created very awkward situations where I had to run away, drink some potions and then run back to kill them. I was in a similar place with Seekers during the mid game, where I had to use 2 fully charged Wind of Fist spells to kill a single seeker but I only had enough mana to cast it once.

I disliked that the game forced me to use 2 handed weapons towards the very end, as I had skilled entirely into one handed instead. This kinda made the last section of the game a pain in the ass as you are forced to use a two hander and my combos were unbearably slow. The game was VERY lenient on skill points and I ended up with 50 mana, 90 dex and over 100str with master Bow and One Handed with 3 circles of Magic, despite me never actually using magic. I think I had 100 strength and master one handed at 10 or 15 hours. I actually leveled up twice when I went back into the temple so I could have easily maxed my dex and learned at least trained two handed.

I wasn't too fond of the quest design overall. Most of it was very boring backtracking and running back and forth is not quite as fun as it was the first time since there is an actual sense of danger and adventure. Towards the later game it was even worse since there was nothing to kill and anything that there was, was no match for me. I think the quest design was also crippled since the overworld was lame and there was basically nothing there, it was just a place where you ran around to find stuff to kill instead of having some actual wanderlust of finding new people and locations. Just as an example, there was a cave with NOTHING in it that was guarded by 2 wolves. In Gothic 2, that would be detailed and have some sort of loot in it. It's hard to call a game a bad walking simulator, but Gothic 1 managed that because it achieved my sheer boredom.

Anyway, it was good but I don't think it was quite as good as Gothic 2. The game felt like a massive slog later on and it just bored me to tears, as I was experiencing nothing but the mediocre story due to me being able to kill close to anything with less than 3 hits. Traveling the overworld was also a pain in the ass, this is a controversial opinion without a doubt but I feel like that PB made a massive improvement with their games after Risen 1 by giving you fast travel as I have always thought the "collectathon section" of PB games (focus stones in G1, Dragons in G2, dungeons and teleporter stones in Risen) has usually been the worst, where there is little to no story and it's just mindless backtracking through places you have already been to. I think that anything the game did, it usually did in a pretty boring fashion where I didn't keep that much interest. The game was definitely a product of its time so it aged quite poorly. I think Gothic 2 aged far better and is the more enjoyable game to play. PB's newer games have made major improvements by not making the world as bleak/boring and keeping the travel in the overworld more interesting and fun.
Gothic 1 overall felt a bit too much like work for me to be called an all time favorite, but it definitely is a game worth playing.

Did it take the roughly 20-25 hours I said it would take?
You were correct! 22 hours according to the Steam counter.
Wait, did you completed Gothic 2 first, and now, Gothic 1? Why did you do it in reverse order?
I did. I already had a mid game playthrough in Gothic 2 of roughly 30 hours where I felt I was far too underleveled, so I abandoned that save started another game some months later and finished it off. I also really disliked the controls in Gothic 1, which made me start with Gothic 2.
Did you take Old Camp here as well?
I took the Old Camp. It felt like a more direct route where I had most of the quests to join them already completed and I liked the place. It's a shame that they decided to go for a good vs bad route in Gothic 1 instead of a grey vs grey route as it was in Gothic 2, between the Mercenaries and Paladins.

Sjukob

Arcane
That's the Sect you're talking about.
Bitch please, even the swamp sect members look like physics phd graduates with bodybuilder bodies when compared to new camp degenerates. The only thing they can do is complain at you and shit their pants of thought of old camp coming to rape them for their theft.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's the Sect you're talking about.
Bitch please, even the swamp sect members look like physics phd graduates with bodybuilder bodies when compared to new camp degenerates. The only thing they can do is complain at you and shit their pants of thought of old camp coming to rape them for their theft.
And old camp can't even get even.

Black Angel

Arcane
Anyway, it was good but I don't think it was quite as good as Gothic 2. The game felt like a massive slog later on and it just bored me to tears,
None of the games felt like massive slog to me, but I personally preferred Temple of the Sleeper as the endgame area because it has exquisite level design in my opinion, so I enjoyed it all the way up until the moment of the boss 'fight'.

Traveling the overworld was also a pain in the ass, this is a controversial opinion without a doubt but I feel like that PB made a massive improvement with their games after Risen 1 by giving you fast travel as I have always thought the "collectathon section" of PB games (focus stones in G1, Dragons in G2, dungeons and teleporter stones in Risen) has usually been the worst, where there is little to no story and it's just mindless backtracking through places you have already been to.
The backtracking might be a bit mindless, but the fact that using the 'fast travel' of Gothic 1/2 (which is teleportation scrolls) DOESN'T make you go through a loading screen is such a joy, though. It really showed us that the Gothics are True Open World Games™. In fact, I pretty much preferred the fast travel method of Gothic 1&2, where the spots are fixed, scattered at strategic places, and takes NO loading screen at all.

I did. I already had a mid game playthrough in Gothic 2 of roughly 30 hours where I felt I was far too underleveled, so I abandoned that save started another game some months later and finished it off. I also really disliked the controls in Gothic 1, which made me start with Gothic 2.
Heh, I preferred Gothic 2's control scheme, but I feel like Gothic 1's much more.... characteristic? Since I played Gothic 1 first, discovering Gothic 1's completely different control scheme AND learning to master it makes me remember discovering Dark Souls 1 PC port KB&M scheme (of which also completely different from (supposedly) similar games I've played before like Skyrim :negative:) and mastering it. I think that's why Gothic 1's controls sticks to me the most.

I took the Old Camp. It felt like a more direct route where I had most of the quests to join them already completed and I liked the place. It's a shame that they decided to go for a good vs bad route in Gothic 1 instead of a grey vs grey route as it was in Gothic 2, between the Mercenaries and Paladins.
Are the Mercs and the Paladins really that grey vs grey, though? All I remember is that those bloody Paladins acted like assholes through and through. Especially if you play as a Merc and interact with the Paladins, all they really cared about is getting those damn ores to the King, and not one bit cared about the folks at Khorinis. Meanwhile, while Lee personally wanted to get off the damn island and settle his score with the King (and some of the Mercs ARE lowlife scumbags like Sylvio and his underlings), most of the Mercs at least take care of the folks properly. Even though they don't know it, becoming Dragonhunters and focusing on slaying them actually helped weaken Orc's invasion, or at least delaying them. Meanwhile, those damn Paladins only really departed for the Valley AFTER you've slain the Dragons instead of, you know, helping with it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
but the fact that using the 'fast travel' of Gothic 1/2 (which is teleportation scrolls) DOESN'T make you go through a loading screen is such a joy
I'm interested to see what teleporting on a PC from 2001 would be like, I wonder if you can use VMWare to do something like that? In ELEX fast traveling and quick save/load was usually instant.
n fact, I pretty much preferred the fast travel method of Gothic 1&2, where the spots are fixed, scattered at strategic places, and takes NO loading screen at all.
I disagree. Teleport runes only start spawning in Chapter 2 and beyond in Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and Risen. I quickly got tired of the backtracking before I started Chapter 2.
Are the Mercs and the Paladins really that grey vs grey, though?
Yes? The mercenaries are largely thieves and just rob or kill anyone who doesn't join them.
becoming Dragonhunters and focusing on slaying them actually helped weaken Orc's invasion
Except most of them didn't care about the dragons and were just looking for a payday. The majority of them just sat around in the Paladins camp.
most of the Mercs at least take care of the folks properly
Except dealing with the field raiders, bandits, seekers who raided the farmer's house and not giving one fuck about anything other than their own purse or even dealing with basic and very nearby issues.
Meanwhile, those damn Paladins only really departed for the Valley AFTER you've slain the Dragons instead of, you know, helping with it.
I'm sympathetic to the paladins as they were stretched very thin, fighting a war against the Orcs, having to run the city, having to deal with the mercenaries and everything in between. The mercs have it very easy in comparison.

Black Angel

Arcane
I disagree. Teleport runes only start spawning in Chapter 2 and beyond in Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and Risen. I quickly got tired of the backtracking before I started Chapter 2.
Is there really that much backtracking in Chapter 1 of either Gothics? Tbh, I actually didn't notice because I was completely awed by the mechanics provided to make exploration so joyful in both games.

The thing with making fast travel options available from the start is that it will mostly ruin exploration or its pacing, or that sometimes they are made readily available when the world was lazily, poorly, or just plainly designed in mediocrity. For example, I think that Dark Souls 1's world was designed near-perfectly in such a way that you don't really need fast-travel system in the first half of a playthrough, and so the fast travel option was made available once you progress into the second half where the next levels are separated in one place and the other.

Although, to be honest, I think that each of the Gothics world are in unique circumstances that made any form of fast travel that might be available from the start (like riding horse-drawn carriage to a destination that's not available to the protagonist from the get-go) impossible. Gothic 1 takes place in a prison colony, no way they would have access to any of that. Meanwhile, the island of Khorinis in Gothic 2 is practically in a war situation, so bringing horse-drawn carriages anywhere would be looking for trouble.

Yes? The mercenaries are largely thieves and just rob or kill anyone who doesn't join them.
When did they ever just rob/kill anyone who doesn't join them? Akil's farm? If what you're saying is right, then Lee would've send you to finish those Merc's job and bully Akil's farm into joining the Mercs or kill them. If you're referring to the bandits all across the island, they're not related to the Mercs at Onar's farm in any way.

Except most of them didn't care about the dragons and were just looking for a payday. The majority of them just sat around in the Paladins camp.
Hence why prior to that sentence, I typed, "Even though they don't know it,". Yes, they didn't really care and were just looking for a payday, but they're the one who goes around actually doing something about it. And you're wrong that 'the majority of them just sat around in the Paladin's camp', because only 3 of them did: the guy who wants you to retrieve his fallen sword, the guy who's a capable smith, and the weapon dealer. Meanwhile, Gorn is out there looking out for trouble, and will help you get to the Stone Dragon, and Cipher and one guy help you fight the Swamp Dragon. If Sylvio isn't Sylvio he would've helped you deal with the Ice Dragon, but Sylvio is Sylvio, so fuck Sylvio.

Meanwhile, what does the Paladins even do about the dragons? At most, they helped you with intel on where the Dragons are, but they don't really try to do something about them, don't they? Like I said, they don't even send reinforcement to the valley until AFTER the Dragons are all killed.

Except dealing with the field raiders, bandits, seekers who raided the farmer's house and not giving one fuck about anything other than their own purse or even dealing with basic and very nearby issues.
And so does the Paladins, mate. So does the Paladins.

I'm sympathetic to the paladins as they were stretched very thin, fighting a war against the Orcs, having to run the city, having to deal with the mercenaries and everything in between. The mercs have it very easy in comparison.
I would say it's because the Paladins are incompetent. Lord Hagen should've think about co-operating with the Mercs in some way after getting Lee's letter, instead of outright denying his request AND still only think about getting those damn ores to the King.

Tbh, after thinking about it I think we've had very different experience because I joined the Mercs and you joined the Paladins. Also, because you finished Gothic 2 first, so you don't understand how much of a bros the New Camp guys are.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
And so does the Paladins, mate. So does the Paladins.
Which proves my point, it is grey vs grey.
because I joined the Mercs and you joined the Paladins
Only completed the game as a Fire Mage. I had a Paladin character that I played for about 30 hours but I quit that save.
so you don't understand how much of a bros the New Camp guys are.
Except I had completed Gothic 1 about 20 days later after I had completed Gothic 2, so I do. It's not like I have forgotten what they were like in Gothic 2. Regardless my takeaway is that most of them just do whatever they are told, just like the Paladins, it just so happens to be that Lee is also looking for his revenge and that's about it. There's not much "broness" in that camp and the mercenaries all are criminals, which explains a lot of their shitty behavior like swindling everyone who comes past them out of their money.
Arguably, the Paladins also have a more important goal with the ore and the orcs while the Mercs do literally nothing before a lot of them go off as Dragon Hunters other than just starving people out.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Has anyone succesfully played Gothic 1 under Linux? I tried Wine but it gave me a few errors. Any pointers before I post any specifics?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone tried to play this game recently? Got the Steam version years ago, tried it now but without the DX11 renderer patch it doesn't work at all and with the renderer it keeps crashing and freezing.

Just spend an hour trying to get this shit to work but no dice. Don't tell me the only way to replay my beloved G1 is to wait for that retarded remaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom