Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Doktor Best

Arcane
Do you have the GOG version of the game? If yes, there is a sticky on the gothic boards on their community section with all the important stuff. I would save player kit + system pack are essential, everything else optional and i would keep away from it atleast for the first playthrough.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
you don't need any mods trust me, this is not bethesda game

Do you have the GOG version of the game? If yes, there is a sticky on the gothic boards on their community section with all the important stuff. I would save player kit + system pack are essential, everything else optional and i would keep away from it atleast for the first playthrough.

'kay. I'll report my progress later today.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played the first two Gothic games for the first time in 2013 and early 2014, in reverse order. I ended up liking the first game a lot more because it had a nicer setting. I loved the idea of being stuck in a prison world and then working with random factions to get up in life.

Maybe I'll give them another go soon. Why can nobody make games like these anymore? :negative:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why can nobody make games like these anymore? :negative:

The most realistic answer is "because they can't". It's not easy making a good game, like it's not easy making a good anything in this life, so I'm pretty sure they just can't. It's much easier to just Bethesda your way to profits and fan adoration than painstakingly create a masterpiece.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Someone babysit me and tell me:

- What Gothic games do I need for the maximum modded experience.
- Which mods are those.
- Where can I download those mods.
- How do I install those mods.

I want to give them a proper try, but being a German game doesn't help its case when it comes to handing out tutorials.

Gothic 1 and 2 are both worth playing and G2 looks great with the dx11 renderer. Getting the renderer working for G1 is a bit of a hassle but I've heard this guide works. Also from my experience uncapping your FPS breaks platforming in the first game. New camp best camp.

you don't need any mods trust me, this is not bethesda game
The DX11 renderer is worth using at least for increased draw distance without murdering performance.

putnnp.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why can nobody make games like these anymore? :negative:

Because it won't sell as good as other shit that requires less craftsmanship to make.

Gothic 1 and 2 are both worth playing and G2 looks great with the dx11 renderer. Getting the renderer working for G1 is a bit of a hassle but I've heard this guide works. Also from my experience uncapping your FPS breaks platforming in the first game. New camp best camp.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, bro. The guide in the GOG page talks as if it was for both Gothic games, but the installation instructions are clearly for Gothic 2 only. I may just play with the vanilla renderer in Gothic I if it's too much of an issue to install.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, once again i'm the only person, who has a particular problem with certain game judging by utter lack of solutions found on google. I hate my goddamn laptop. :argh:
Hope there's nothing that essential in the system pack anyway, because my nostalgia is urging to play G1 once more anyway. Never minded controls to begin with.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
How the fuck do you even pick up items in this game? I change my control scheme and it kepts changing for who knows what reason. I tried using every key in the keyboard to pick up that ore at the start of the gaem and I can't pick it up. Everything is clunky as hell.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Best game ever. I'm one of the rare few who enjoyed Ultima 9 for its atmosphere and exploration then along comes Gothic and blows it out of the water.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
ctrl + forwad while item you want to pick up is glowing(shows it's name)
Control + w. Most things are handled with the Control Keys and WASD.

Jesus Christ, somebody actually thought this was a good idea instead of merging Talk + Interact like every game ever made.

I'm going to try Gothic II now and see how the control scheme is.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
ctrl + forwad while item you want to pick up is glowing(shows it's name)
Control + w. Most things are handled with the Control Keys and WASD.

Jesus Christ, somebody actually thought this was a good idea instead of merging Talk + Interact like every game ever made.

I'm going to try Gothic II now and see how the control scheme is.

In Gothic 2 you just press CTRL to open things. I would recommend just sticking with G1 at least until you join a camp to see if you get used to the controls. They feel natural after a while especially once you get good at timing attacks in combat.

janior

Arcane
Patron
FFS be a men lucas and stop whining about UIs in rpgs like a pussy. Here, have a song

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
FFS be a men lucas and stop whining about UIs in rpgs like a pussy.

These are the worst controls I've ever seen. It's not a matter of binding them to other keys either. They are something that makes much more sense on a console than a PC.

It feels like playing QWOP.

janior

Arcane
Patron
You never finished a game with controls that were far from your preferences did you? It looks like a HUGE deal for you, i feel sorry for you.

How the fuck do you even pick up items in this game? I change my control scheme and it kepts changing for who knows what reason. I tried using every key in the keyboard to pick up that ore at the start of the gaem and I can't pick it up. Everything is clunky as hell.

You and a lot of people seem to be confusing clunky with different. The controls in Gothic games aren't necessarily clunky, they are just different from the standard WSAD set-up and take some getting used to, but that's not the same as clunky. Once you get used to them, you will realize they let you do everything very easily and efficiently, maybe not quite as well as WSAD in every way, but well enough that they shouldn't be called clunky.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You never finished a game with controls that were far from your preferences did you? It looks like a HUGE deal for you, i feel sorry for you.

Nope. It doesn't help if the game doesn't seem that interesting either.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
FFS be a men lucas and stop whining about UIs in rpgs like a pussy.

These are the worst controls I've ever seen. It's not a matter of binding them to other keys either. They are something that makes much more sense on a console than a PC.

It feels like playing QWOP.

I personally play with my right hand on the arrow keys with my left hand hovering around WASD and CTRL. That way you can strafe easily or attack while in combat. You can also use the numpad to rotate your camera too and look back while running.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Your PC gonna explode if you're going to play Gothic with controller. It's confirmed by NSA and UNATCO :australia:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dex likes to praise their shitty games alright, the controls are messy, the graphics were outdated even when the game went gold, and it has never been running stable for more than a couple of hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom