Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic vs. Risen

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Didn't know that, p. cool

How do you guys go around the disgusting G1/2 controls? The mouse sensitivity specifically. Do I need a decade old mouse? Because lowering DPI and such doesn't seem to help.

I think I played both with keyboard only, it works pretty well that way. No mouse needed.
It's only a bit annoying when fighting wolves and other small creatures because you can't see shit

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How do you guys go around the disgusting G1/2 controls? The mouse sensitivity specifically. Do I need a decade old mouse? Because lowering DPI and such doesn't seem to help.
You need to not be an uncoordinated oaf. 'Disgusting?' The controls are fine and take maybe ten minutes to figure out.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I weep for people who have to play Gothic games with an english dub. You poor fucks :P

The dialog is awesome. In good versions that is.

There's nothing wrong with PB dialog in English. It's snarky and goofy and crass, which are all good things. It's very unique compared to others in the genre.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I weep for people who have to play Gothic games with an english dub. You poor fucks :P

The dialog is awesome. In good versions that is.

There's nothing wrong with PB dialog in English. It's snarky and goofy and crass, which are all good things. It's very unique compared to others in the genre.
I haven't played Gothic in years, but I remember hating the VA for the main character. Between the voice and the goatee I constantly wanted bad things to happen to him.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played Gothic in years, but I remember hating the VA for the main character. Between the voice and the goatee I constantly wanted bad things to happen to him.

I was more speaking about writing. I guess the VO isn't the best, but I'm nowhere near as sensitive to that as many others are. In fact I barely notice.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was more speaking about writing. I guess the VO isn't the best, but I'm nowhere near as sensitive to that as many others are. In fact I barely notice.
Writing? I don't remember having any problem with the writing. The translation was fine, probably even good.

It's weird about the VA though - normally I don't have any problem even with downright bad acting. Something about that guy's voice, though. Now that I think about it, I remember that he was the worst VA in the game, with lame, wooden delivery compared to everyone else, so he stood out as bad even more. I remember thinking, I guess they wanted to save money on this guy since he has the most lines. I don't know. Maybe I was molested as a baby by a guy with a voice like his and that's the only reason I find him so awful.

Murk

Arcane
The ugly face, stupid hair, and general asshattery of the main character is so great in G1 and G2. He's such a dickbag. G3 lost that charm; Risen kinda regained it a bit. Made me lol when one of the Don's men was talking about dressing him up and having him work the brothels.

/trannydetected.jpg

Mraston

Learned
I just realized that Patty (the pirate wench, daughter of some famous pirate) in risen, is voiced by Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey) and the inquisitor is voiced by Gollum (Andy Serkis).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Two Worlds totally possesses quality VA and writing. :troll:

I actually really liked Two Worlds 2's main character. He was a shitty, snarky bastard, like a Gothic NPC sort of. That and the unique world design influences made that game pretty tolerable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Two Worlds 2 was so painfully generic I couldn't take it for more than four or five hours.

Sazabi

Novice
Two Worlds totally possesses quality VA and writing. :troll:

I actually really liked Two Worlds 2's main character. He was a shitty, snarky bastard, like a Gothic NPC sort of. That and the unique world design influences made that game pretty tolerable.

I cannot comment on Two Worlds 2, since the first one more or less did in the whole series for me. Some may feel that the series had a certain charm to it, but once the protagonist started singing, 'It's raining, it's pouring...", while it rained in the first one, I vomited on my PC.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I cannot comment on Two Worlds 2, since the first one more or less did in the whole series for me. Some may feel that the series had a certain charm to it, but once the protagonist started singing, 'It's raining, it's pouring...", while it rained in the first one, I vomited on my PC.

The first game is terrible, I only made it a few hours in. The second game is much more polished, and it has interesting settings (Africa, China and Louisiana basically) for an RPG. It also has a very interesting magic system where you collect and combine cards to create magic effects. I honestly have no idea how Metro could call the game "generic." I wouldn't call it great though, it's just interesting. Maybe it's "good" depending on your priorities.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Two Worlds 2 was so painfully generic I couldn't take it for more than four or five hours.

Yeah, this! It felt like a really boring MMO in a single player costume - I couldn't stand it. In some sudden flash of retardedness I bought it again while it was on sale but couldn't get myself over even installing it again.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
TW2 had a nice magic system - in theory, at least. In practice it was so broken that it ended up being dull. It's like they didn't have any time or inclination to balance it or flesh it out.

The exploration was much better in TW1, though. TW2 introduced too many quest-locked areas and doors, to the point that it ruined exploration completely for me. TW1, however, was properly open-world, and said world was dangerous and kinda fun to explore.

Both games aren't really worth playing, though, unless you're desperate for an open-world ARPG. In which case, if I had to choose, I'd choose to play TW1 rather than TW2.

aleph

Arcane
Yeah, this! It felt like a really boring MMO in a single player costume - I couldn't stand it. In some sudden flash of retardedness I bought it again while it was on sale but couldn't get myself over even installing it again.

You should try out Kingdoms of Amalur, I think you would like it...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

You should try out Kingdoms of Amalur, I think you would like it...

I actually tried it on PS3 :P

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I honestly have no idea how Metro could call the game "generic."
Because it is? No idea how you could push on after the boring savannah region. The caves/dungeons were all the same with mostly the same enemies and randomized loot chests.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vanilla G2 is like... an 8/10. Easily. NotR makes me want to murder babies and sacrifice them to the pagan German gods in hopes PB gets off their asses and redoes its glory once more. So, basically, I think it's a great game.
This.

Gothic 2 w/NotR is glorious, probably one of the best sandbox RPGs ever made. Risen 2 is anything but.

bloodlover

Arcane
I honestly have no idea how Metro could call the game "generic."
Because it is? No idea how you could push on after the boring savannah region. The caves/dungeons were all the same with mostly the same enemies and randomized loot chests.

Was the stupid horse race in TW2? I remember some timed quest where u had to run from A to B or something. Frustrating as hell...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom