Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

sullynathan

Arcane
I just literally played a mission where I drove to a shop, bought some clothes and then drove to an office, closed down some pop ups, walked and drove some more and then sat on my sofa and watched TV.
It's called a tutorial, something every Gta game has.

toroid

Arcane
tedious driving ... drive to yellow dot, watch cutscene, drive some more

If the driving is tedious and you're just going through the motions of doing what the game tells you to do, then I'll just go ahead and say you're playing it wrong. Think outside the box.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmm, so after 6 hours and 14.6% of the game, I'm still doing the tutorial? Seems about right by modern standards! Reminds me a bit of FF13's 'first 20 hours is the tutorial' rubbish.

To be fair, 6 hours might not be totally representative as I have tried various other 'activities' like tow truck driving (not fun), racing (fun but far too easy), robbing a garage (got about $20 and 10 mins of hiding from cops) and tennis (oh God no, never again). Not forgetting of course wandering around the block with the dog wondering what the point of this is. It's been a long time since I played GTA4, but I do remember enjoying it despite what popular opinion said, so I'm going to give this a decent shot. I just don't recall previous games holding your hands quite this much and being quite so... dull.

Feels so far like Rockstar really wanted to nail the 'cinematic' feel but forgot to make gameplay actually fun. At least you've given me some hope it's going to pick up once I get past all the tutorials.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what you two are basically saying is that the missions are the dull shit and all the fun stuff is mysteriously hidden away somewhere, probably in some fantastic emergent gameplay system that's eluded me so far. The game spends hours giving me tutorials how to buy some shorts, drive a tow truck and walk my dog, but neglects to mention all the really fun stuff because it's all a masterful troll.

That's possibly the most retarded thing I've read in a long time.

Stop being so woolly, what's all this fun emergent gameplay you're going on about? Don't tell me it's all about the multiplayer or doing naughty stuff to get chased by the cops, tried that and its hardly pulse pounding excitement. If the missions are dull and only boring fuckers do them, what else is there besides bullshit pointless mini games?

sullynathan

Arcane
So what you two are basically saying is that the missions are the dull shit and all the fun stuff is mysteriously hidden away somewhere, probably in some fantastic emergent gameplay system that's eluded me so far. The game spends hours giving me tutorials how to buy some shorts, drive a tow truck and walk my dog, but neglects to mention all the really fun stuff because it's all a masterful troll.

Stop being so woolly, what's all this fun emergent gameplay you're going on about? Don't tell me it's all about the multiplayer or doing naughty stuff to get chased by the cops, tried that and its hardly pulse pounding excitement. If the missions are dull and only boring fuckers do them, what else is there besides bullshit pointless mini games?
Yeah pretty much

Were you one of those people that complained about skyrim's storyline instead of just going full hobo and fucking around for a bit? Because you sure sound like one.

Ash

Arcane
Were you one of those people that complained about skyrim's storyline instead of just going full hobo and fucking around for a bit? Because you sure sound like one.

Attempting the storyline or just fucking about in either games is banal boring shit and you may as well look to San Andreas or Morrowind, which both have far more to offer for their respective series. Not that either are holy grails of their respective genres.

sullynathan

Arcane

Attempting the storyline or just fucking about in either games is banal boring shit and you may as well look to San Andreas or Morrowind, which both have far more to offer for their respective series. Not that either are holy grails of their respective genres.
People keep saying this lie. There is far more to be done in GTA V's world than in San Andreas. If your goal is to fuck around, you would be playing gta v.

It's not the same as the shift from Morrowind to Skyrim.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Cover shooting!
Yoga!
Janitorial work!
Low interactive content per area ratio!
Watching dogs fuck!
No crouch functionality!
Boring fatherhood/retarded psychopath sub-plots!
Simplified gameplay systems!
The ability to skip missions!
Pandering to modern braindead western culture!
Mindlessly following objective markers as 99% of non-generic content is marked on the map!

GTAV is banal boring shit. Most fun people seem to get out of it is auto-aiming each other in multiplayer and doing stupid shit that wasn't intended by design, which is fully possible in GTA:SA too.
Typically though, whenever I trash a game I'm trashing the singleplayer, as singleplayer is my passion.

sullynathan

Arcane
doing stupid shit that wasn't intended by design, which is fully possible in GTA:SA too.
And if the stupid shit is possible in both games why would I want to go back to San Andreas instead of playing gta v?

Cover shooting is not a con for these games. The shooting in the 3D gta games are absolutely awful, at least gta 4 and gta V is playable with and without auto aim.

Ash

Arcane
And if the stupid shit is possible in both games why would I want to go back to San Andreas instead of playing gta v?

Because mostly everything else that matters is better in SA?

Cover shooting is not a con for these games. The shooting in the 3D gta games are absolutely awful, at least gta 4 and gta V is playable with and without auto aim.

Get off console. There are mods for san andreas full forced manual aim on PC.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Yoga!
Janitorial work!

Yay, I look forward to the delights of these two.

I'm going to give it a fair crack of the whip, after all I've not even met Trevor yet and it's clearly early days. I think it's suffering in comparison to Just Cause as that was pretty much fun from the get go. My tolerance level for extended tutorials is clearly lowering.

sullynathan

Arcane
Yoga!
Janitorial work!

Yay, I look forward to the delights of these two.

I'm going to give it a fair crack of the whip, after all I've not even met Trevor yet and it's clearly early days. I think it's suffering in comparison to Just Cause as that was pretty much fun from the get go. My tolerance level for extended tutorials is clearly lowering.
Heads up. Being a janitor only exists in the final mission and you can do it depending on which path you choose.

My only gripe with GTA5, ui aside (whoever designed it should be forced to play endless stream of MP missions with leavers in each and every one of them while using the lowest possible config that can still run the game) is the lack of multiplayer Heist DLCs (I wouldn't mind paying a couple of bucks for a bunch of those), that shit in MP was the funnest and dumbest thing I did with my stack of friends in the last few years (and we went to Bangkok for 3 weeks in 2015).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pointless arguments this page. Everyone knows the only good GTA is Vice City: Best setting, best satire, nostalgia galore, big enough without feeling tedious to get around, lot of missions that took advantage of the locations rather than the city being just a sandbox with disparate random quests here and there. It was long enough but never overstayed its welcome: the main storyline and the side character stories were about all you needed to get satiated. There were other things to do for autists or if you just needed an excuse to drive around and listen to the soundtrack, but they never took over like they do these days in GTA style games where the main plot is secondary.

If ever there is a Vice City 2 which is half as good as the first it will be Morgothian D1P for me*.

*Vice City stories for the PSP/PS2 is good, but feels more like and expansion.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
The only gta that was tedious to go through the world was gta 3 because of the lack of main map.
.God dammit, why can't you commies spell

Astral Rag

Arcane
GTA modding tool OpenIV shut down by legal threat
By Alice O'Connor on June 15th, 2017 at 2:07 pm.

Take-Two’s lawyers have shut down OpenIV, one of the main tools for modding Grand Theft Auto IV and V. The Suits have allegedly sent a ‘cease and desist’ letter saying that OpenIV lets people bypass security features and modify the game, which violates Take-Two’s rights and must be stopped. And so, the OpenIV team have announced they’ll stop distributing the tool. I’m sure it’ll still float around the Internet unofficially, but this is a terrible loss.

OpenIV is the tool people use to fiddle in GTA’s data files, changing and adding models, textures, and other assets. Not every mod uses OpenIV but Take-Two shutting it down is a huge blow to GTA modding. It’s a modding scene which creates everything from movie-making to gang wars and Iron Man.

The OpenIV team say they’ve received a cease and desist letter saying that, with the tool, they “allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two’s rights”. They will not fight this. They explain:

“Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.

“Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

“Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we’ll get absolutely nothing.

“Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can’t compensate the loss of time.

“So, we decided to agree with their claims and we’re stopping distribution of OpenIV.

“It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can’t see any possibilities to continue this process, unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.”

This would be an unpleasant move at the best of times but good grief, OpenIV is hardly a secret Take-Two have just discovered. The first version came out for Grand Theft Auto IV in 2011, and GTA V support launched in 2015. The Suits let a modding scene grow and thrive, then years later swoop in to stop it.

This timing might have something to do with OpenIV’s work on a tool to import Liberty City from GTA IV into GTA V.The head of OpenIV says that initial contact with the suits, back in April, did demand that they stop working on and distributing both OpenIV and the (unreleased) Liberty City tool. That tool would require copies of both games as it’s a converter rather than a conversion. But perhaps smooshing games together tipped The Suits over the edge, sending them into a blood rage. The ways of The Suits are inscrutable. Some say they’re not even human, that they don’t even inhabit our world, that they live outside time and beyond hope, joy, and pity. You’ll have to ask Some about that though.

Or perhaps it’s connected to Grand Theft Auto Online, GTA V’s multiplayer, which is still rife with hackers. OpenIV has strictly avoided touching GTA Online but ah, who knows the minds of The Suits?

Disclosure: I vaguely know several people who work on GTA but none of them intimately enough to have any fun anecdotes. Sorry.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
2fav051.png

:lol:

Perkel

Arcane
Frankly speaking if you actually have legit copy you either way are fucked with mods since STEAM doesn't allow for manual update. Regardless if you like it or not you get update and you mods brake.

If i mod something i basically crack games first or just avoid buying on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom