Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front (released)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was suprised when I checked steam earlier today, and the sequel to Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star has been released. Didn't even know there was a sequel planned!

I'm thinking of buying it. Not that expensive and 10% off until the 11th.

Check the link here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312980/

Anyway. Anyone out there that have bought it? Impressions? From what I have been reading it seems to be a straight upgrade from the first game.

ss_64e7dc1d6d03cca7a268c069a6d5b2fef07c569d.600x338.jpg

Here is the trailer btw:

Looks good. System requirements is low and nice as well.

Cholo

Arcane
Bit the bullet and picked it up- lots of learning to do!

The tank models are lots of fun to leaf through alone (blue rays indicate lines of sight)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, that is a nice extra! My biggest question. Does it run well?

doggfookker

Educated
It runs p. good for me. I know other folks have been mentioning it being a lot better optimized than the old game(s).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I definitely want to try this when I have a new computer.
Unfortunately I couldn't do much with the previous versions because I dont recognize shit on the maps, especially with the winter terrain. But this looks more polished.

Yeesh

Magister
So this is a game no one's talking about or LPing for my enjoyment because the world has decayed to the point where not one good thing remains anywhere.

Also it's on sale 30% off on Steam.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's 'k.

I haven't played it too much since the eastern front is the one I find least interesting.

sser

Arcane
Developer
So this is a game no one's talking about or LPing for my enjoyment because the world has decayed to the point where not one good thing remains anywhere.

Or like $7 for everything on Bundlestars.

I've picked it up -- haven't tried it yet, though.

Or like $7 for everything on Bundlestars.

I've picked it up -- haven't tried it yet, though.
how easy is it to learn to play? I tried one of their old games on a demo and I found it impenetrable, most of the UI was in russian and I could never figure out how to really do things correctly. Is that changed? Is there a tutorial that explains shit?

I have played similar games like the matrix Panzer Command Ostront and really loved it, this seems perhaps even deeper and maybe better, but I could not tell 6-7 years ago when I tried it for the reasons stated above.

There is a tutorial and the game is not in Russian. Some of the translation work is... subpar... but it's easily comprehensible.

It still takes some work to learn, but if you enjoy simulation style battalion level wargames it simply doesn't get better than this.

cool thanks, I think the demo I played was a very early version of one of their first games and I was frustrated because at the time everything was in russian (I think russian). I think I will pick up the game on sale, now. I notice that Mius front is on sale for 24.99, but Operation Star is 85% off and sells for only $4.49.

Is there any reason to get the new Mius front over operation star? Or is there big enough difference to go ahead and pay the $20 difference to get Mius Front?

I just bought Mius tonight myself when I noticed it was on sale, so I can't say for sure yet. I don't remember if Op Star had tutorials like Mius does (I checked Mius for you, but I'm too lazy to do it again.)

The games are very similar, but Mius has a number of improvements, particularly regarding the UI. It's still dense and difficult to use without practice, but it's significantly better than the previous games. Given that the gameplay is so similar I'd save yourself the trouble and get the new one unless $20 is going to break the bank. These Russians deserve your kwabucks!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I hate one thing with a passion in graviteam games..... you cant fucking order your units to fire at a target you want them to ! Is it the same in Mius or have they finaly went back to 90's and discovered this magnificent gem called 'unit targetting' ?

Dayyālu

Arcane
I got the Operation Star bundle. The interface is not the worse I've ever seen, but I have a lingering problem.

Are Soviet scenarios supposed to be pretty much a nightmare to play? I mean, the intro scenario has you trying to cut down the retreat of a poor German battalion when suddenly the freakin' Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler rolls in with upgunned Pz III and Tigers an' shit. And you have 45 mm manhandled arty and Matilda IIs.

Sure, one could try to learn the game playing with the Nazies, but c'mon

These Russians deserve your kwabucks!

Aren't they Ukrainians?

warci

Educated
I'm playing mostly Mius front right now. The ui has been vastly improved, but I think it's also been ported to the older games?
Mius doesn't have the crazy amount of expansions as the first one yet, but is imho the most accessible. Tunisia is fine too, but I haven't played it recently, as the eastern front gets me hard.
If you're new to the game, this recent tutorial is a must-watch: https://steamcommunity.com/app/312980/discussions/0/1737715419913859905/ as the game has some unconventional ideas about RTS's.
It's a shame the game is not more popular on here, as it's one of my all-time favourites and the least retarded RTS to have been released in the last 10 years.

mbv123

Arbiter
I have all of the GT games but I'm literally too much of a brainlet to get used to the UI and not get slaughtered in every fucking battle.

Unwanted

Slavegal

Unwanted
Its not the UI that holds these game down, its the LOS guessing.
Terrain always looks flat as fuck but it never is and have to constantly check whats visible from where.
And tracing area LOS is comparatively slow.
Otherwise you can win the whole Tunesia campaign with 1 Tiger and a couple of spotters...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Its not the UI that holds these game down, its the LOS guessing.
Terrain always looks flat as fuck but it never is and have to constantly check whats visible from where.
And tracing area LOS is comparatively slow.
Otherwise you can win the whole Tunesia campaign with 1 Tiger and a couple of spotters...
Actually, I was reflecting on Tigers and Panthers in wargames given an unfair advantage because they never break down and very few tactical wargames simulate the scarcity of spare parts for them.
That said, having Panthers take fire spontaneously before set up would not make for a very fun game.

warci

Educated
If I'm not mistaken, tanks in graviteam do break down or get stuck etc. Although I haven't seen it happen as frequently as claimed in the war records.

Unwanted

Slavegal

Unwanted
They can even break tracks on rough terrain, midcombat. Its very simulationist.

There is actually another thing with LOS or rather LOF that could get you angery.
Really happened to me. A dug-in anti-tank gun fires at my tank from slight elevation. My tank shows that it has LOF and fires but every shell, AP or HE, that is very simulationisty traced to target hits the walls from their big foxhole. And of course there is no terrain destruction and as far as shrapnel from explosions go, they dont seem to reach or kill the dudes behind the antitank gun.
I went into first person view to check what the fuck was happening...

Another thing that I dont like is how hits from 7.62 ammo show up on tanks post-combat together with non penetration 7.5cm or similar. What for?
I know they can kill crew and damage optics but I'd like them to be separate.
You can get rid of them if you disable non penetrating shots but than you dont see the massive amount of Sherman fire that your Tiger tanked... :>

warci

Educated
first one sounds like a bug to me, you can always mention it to the 'friendly' ukranian devs.... Ground should have penetration values like any other matter. Especially since it looks like fragmentation impact from artillery fire is implemented in the game.
I really want to try my hand at some of the non-WWII expansions of the original game, any suggestions?

Beowulf

Arcane
first one sounds like a bug to me, you can always mention it to the 'friendly' ukranian devs.... Ground should have penetration values like any other matter. Especially since it looks like fragmentation impact from artillery fire is implemented in the game.
I really want to try my hand at some of the non-WWII expansions of the original game, any suggestions?

It really depends on what conflict looks more interesting to you. I personally enjoyed Operation Hooper the most.
Bear in mind, that Zhalanashkol 1969 is really small in scale, in comparison to other expansions.

Dayyālu

Arcane

Shield of the Prophet is my favourite, plus it's the "easiest" one when played as the Sovs (your units roughly work as they should, you have local superiority - in numbers if not in quality -) and it's a refreshing take on the "War in a SandBox" this time with 70ies tech instead of the boring 80ies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom