Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great ideas in RPGs that never got used again

visions

Arcane
More of a little thing but having a yell button for telling npc's to get out of your way like the later M&Ms had should be mandatory in first/third person rpgs where you can become stuck behind random ass npcs who move in your way.

So fucking annoying.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Heck even Jagged Alliance 2 has good finishing moves for the machete dude and thrown knives.
You know what I hate most about turn based games? Meaningless time spent animating 'cool shit' that goes overboard.
Case in Point: Heroes - The Ubishit Hellspawn Version. With their awesome 3d battle (I exclude the 3d overland map. It's utter shit.) but nothing bores me than long animation of a unit casting a spell, moving to attack, swinging,...just to show a number floating above the target.

My point was for TB RPG,not shooters and strategy games.Still if you didn't loved the Dread Knight's double damage animation in HoMM3 you don't have soul.:(
30c230224e0671f3b5013cfe0144899a.gif

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
never said anything bad about Non-Ubisoft heroes. The 2d animation they did for MIghty Gorgons death gaze, Death Knight's Death Strike was fast enough to understand that awesome shit is happening. What I really hate was the over-extended variety they introduced since Heroes V - and continued to Heroes VI cause It's SOOO COOL! (tm)

It won't be long till the Meteor Strike spell crash through all 8 planets in our solar system before hitting the target for 999 damage.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
More of a little thing but having a yell button for telling npc's to get out of your way like the later M&Ms had should be mandatory in first/third person rpgs where you can become stuck behind random ass npcs who move in your way.

So fucking annoying.

In Dark Sun: Shattered Lands you could tell NPCs to move.

Rpgsaurus Rex

So fucking annoying.

In Dark Sun: Shattered Lands you could tell NPCs to move.

Same with Fallout 2 (not sure about Fallout 1).

Cromwell

Arcane
Playing Fallout 1 right now and I think I had to use a mod for the move away option.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Since you said "RPGs" and not "CRPGS"...

Fire Emblem 4: having a large number of recruitable player characters and letting you use everyone you recruit, instead of setting an arbitrary limit on the number of characters you can use. (Even JA2 has an arbitrary limit on the number of characters you can use.)

Fire Emblem 5: Units gain fatigue during battle, whenever they do stuff. When the fatigue bar maxes out they have to sit out a battle to rest. They can also drink a potion to recover fatigue but those potions are very limited in number. Adds strategy and encourages you to use additional units.

Grorious Nippon vely innovative in grorious days of Super Famicon. Unfortunatery, things get vely gay after that.

Gozma

Arcane
Corruption in ADOM. It actually doesn't even work properly in ADOM (background corruption is supposed to double every 90 days, but doesn't due to code error). It's a complex and interesting way to implement a soft time limit, basically - works better than the water chip.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Corruption in ADOM. It actually doesn't even work properly in ADOM (background corruption is supposed to double every 90 days, but doesn't due to code error). It's a complex and interesting way to implement a soft time limit, basically - works better than the water chip.

It wasn't that much of a time limit, considering you could prolong it indefinitely. I guess you're talking about the idea, not the implementation. Like the protagonist gradually increasing in corruption no matter what (accelerated by events, taking hits from a monster etc., with rare opportunities to lower it), and too much = game over?

Chefren

Novice
2. Questing for spiritual enlightenment instead of against a BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) or BBEGs in Ultima 4.

I was excited with DA2 because the plot was not about some great evil threatening the world like most other fantasy rpg's. Unfortunately the linear piece of crap it had instead was all the more disappointing because of this :(

laclongquan

Arcane
Fully customizable defense/offensive armor/weapon in Final Fantasy 8. There are no physical armor as such, character just use GF as interface to fuel different magics into defense. Offense is slightly better as you can craft better unique weapons, but its enchancement is by magics. You get a full selection of magic you can configure better defensive measures and stronger offensive power.

It's not very wellknown because the technology at the time doesnt support bloom to help it in a visual manner. Quistis wielding a whip embued with strongest magic doesnt look different from Quistis at with a basic whip. Compare to these days where every belly-ring and anklet can get a different bloom effect, and you can see the problem.

Hell, you cant even give Quistis different costumes. I am itching to have her in bondage gear with long black whip... or French maid with paddles...

Graphic level of 2000, what can you expect?

Gozma

Arcane

It wasn't that much of a time limit, considering you could prolong it indefinitely. I guess you're talking about the idea, not the implementation. Like the protagonist gradually increasing in corruption no matter what (accelerated by events, taking hits from a monster etc., with rare opportunities to lower it), and too much = game over?

Yeah, the idea, and just the fact that it has other complex mechanics tied to it like the mutations. It would be a much more consequential effect in ADOM except for 1) the bug that means it won't double every 90 days and 2) exploiting scrolls of peace.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Yeah, the idea, and just the fact that it has other complex mechanics tied to it like the mutations. It would be a much more consequential effect in ADOM except for 1) the bug that means it won't double every 90 days and 2) exploiting scrolls of peace.

It was still somewhat of a factor if you dove deep in that dungeon with 50 risk level (? cant remember much), or fought some bosses - I never tackled the post-game endgame boss, but apparently you could go from no corruption to death from corruption in a single fight which was pretty epic IMO.

I'm not big fan of the idea of a hard time limit personally in a sandbox game, but something like growing mutation in ADOM over time would be cool for sure. Big negative effects / some (barely) positive if you linger too long, but no definite game over. So you'd limit your options severely if you waited too long, but you'd still be able to finish the game in some way.

Borelli

Arcane
"You pick up the Potion of Nice Refreshing Beverage"
"Potion of Nice Refreshing Beverage turns to poison!"
me: :rage:
dev::troll:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Being able to use anything as a weapon.

(Base game Skyrim doesn't kill instantly like that, but still. Pretty satisfying to land the finishing blow on a guy with a cheese wheel.)

Has any RPG ever featured fully destructible enviroments (think X-COM or JA2 level, or even X-COM Apocalypse)?

I find it a waste to feature such nice little instruments of destruction and mayhem like fireballs, telekinesis, superstrength, rocket launchers and explosives... only to not be able to blow things and places and cause destruction and burning.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Has any RPG ever featured fully destructible enviroments (think X-COM or JA2 level, or even X-COM Apocalypse)?

I find it a waste to feature such nice little instruments of destruction and mayhem like fireballs, telekinesis, superstrength, rocket launchers and explosives... only to not be able to blow things and places and cause destruction and burning.

Not really seen as an RPG, but the Silent Storm games would have to count.

I do think that fully destructible environments, or environments that are malleable/dynamic with significant gameplay relevance is a facet of RPGs that has been particularly lacking over the years, especially now that we have physics middleware and stuff that can simulate such things on the fly.

DraQ

Arcane

Not really seen as an RPG, but the Silent Storm games would have to count.

I do think that fully destructible environments, or environments that are malleable/dynamic with significant gameplay relevance is a facet of RPGs that has been particularly lacking over the years, especially now that we have physics middleware and stuff that can simulate such things on the fly.
:salute:

I want to be able to magically scry for ambush in some building and just set the whole thing ablaze instead, with followers/party just waiting in front of the door with readied crossbows.
:smug:

Fully customizable (...) doesnt look different
:decline:
Also

Final Fantasy 8 (...) bondage gear with long black whip... or French maid with paddles...
Ban laclonguan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom