Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Greatest scene in gaming history?

Sykar

Arcane
Very memorable villain imho:

Handsome Jack was also quite likeable in terms of feeling the need to punch his smug face:smug:

Perkel

Arcane
freespace 2 ending.
IT is the best moment in gaming bar none. From writing position Freespace ending is bar to only itself as it leaves are vidya and most of movies, books to dust in therm how awesome ending was.

they have hundreds of those ships waiting to pommel humans around and this fucking happens:

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Icewind Dale, there was some blind guy in a cave or sth. My thief used pickpocket ability and I stole all his shit. Then I've talked to him and he was aware of my knavish deeds and he didn't wanna talk with thief like me. Good times. Then I've killed him.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

iblYzu0iAPqXUn.gif

Keshik

Arcane
Some are great in a "so bad they are good" way, Red Alert's has some funny ones with people dying on tables after being poisoned. Tiberian Dawn sure had some random ones, like a mission in Slovenia is preceded by a Blackhawk being shot down in a jungle.

The best one remains the reporter in C&C1, just for the cleavage.

Maschtervoz

Learned
Entering the Old Camp for the first time in Gothic 1. That sweet, sweet moment you pass through the gate, see the castle surrounded by huts, NPCs just going about their daily routines, chatting, chilling by a fire, making stew, smoking, guards patrolling around looking smug, all while this is playing in the background.

:love:
Great atmosphere and execution, with no need for majestic cinematics and other such bullshit.

Deadeye Dragoon

Scholar
This has got to be right up there, just the opening scene and then you start the game waking up on the slab. As cliche as some of the ideas were, it really hasn't been done in a better way. Atmosphere through the roof, creepy music, art nailing down the mood nearly to perfection. Then a wise-cracking skull comes floating up. Boom, you're hooked.

YEAH! Torment has a dozen or more scenes that are in my top picks. I'm sorry if some have been mentioned later in the thread, but I have an old computer and all the embedded YouTube videos are threatening to melt my hard drive from overloading my RAM or something, so some other awesome Torment scenes:

The initial haunting dialogue with Deionarra.
Ignus coming after you in the Fortress of Regrets
Vhailor stomping the fuck after you in the same Fortress (probably my favorite of these, brief but so powerful) STOMP STOMP GET YOU
TTO killing Ravel (oops, spoiler!)
Some stuff with that Underking or the skeleton I forget
And that cutscene with the town crashing down into that desert on Mars!

Hey btw wher's my fucking Gumpy avatar?

So maybe something that's not been mentioned thus yet for reasons of taste: The Massively Multiplayer "Role-playing" Game called World of Warcraft has some pretty great cutscenes for what it is, like that one outside of Wrathgate. I'll dare my computer to burn my apartment down to link it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKdGrHcg0uk There are dragons too at the end!

Deadeye Dragoon

Scholar
Hey btw wher's my fucking Gumpy avatar?

DU decided that all avatars must now be derived from the Codex archives, i.e. be gaming related.

There are a handful of exceptions, but you're better off not being one of those.

My former avatar was Gumpy from Jagged Alliance 2. But after that post I just went to my user page to get Gumpy back and holy shit what a selection! For some reason my mouse immediately went to Eye of the Beholder and then the awesome and still frightening Frost Giant. Good job RPG Codex!

Thanks for your kind and quick reply! :)

Gerrard

Arcane
>greatest scene in gaming history
>most of the thread is cutscenes
Oh, the ironing.

Ivan

Arcane
After playing Dark Souls to death...

Upon dying your hp is halved (essentially being hollow is equivalent to being Cursed). Some levels feature horrible platforming a la upper Blighttown. Gameplay is as awesome as ever. Dying is as :x as ever and winning is as:yeah: as ever. Also, one more lovely song.

:4/5:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Always loved the mission briefing cutscenes before and after a mission in "Quake 2". They were short, simple and awesome. Great presentation despite the limitations of the time.

Before and after the "Big Gun" mission.

Was disappointed that Quake 4 didn't have this. :(

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
(@ 11:20 onwards for a moment; although the whole game is one big scene worthy of this thread...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom