Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

Taojnhy

Novice
Oh, I just realized I overlooked something that I've seen Myobi post twice now (the first time over at MMO-C):

So, this was announced during the time frame when you were employed by Electric Crow Games to make GM and had access to Appleton's "server farm". We know that you weren't offering to host other people's Unity projects on your own hardware since it could barely make toast.

I couldn't help but notice that in the announcement, you also offered "a selection of Premium shared hosting".

I have two questions then:

1) Was Appleton aware that you were subleasing his servers for monetary gain?

2) What was the motivation to offer free hosting specifically for Unity Browser games?

Actually as a matter of a fact it had nothing to do with anything related to Jason or GM. I was going through a 3rd party webhosting reseller. I was NOT using Jason's Servers. Why the hell do you automatically assume I was renting space on Jason's Servers when there are hundreds or thousands of Webhosting companies that allow you to resell their services some even for free?
Fair enough, I'll concede the point that I did make an assumption about you subleasing Appleton's hardware with my first question; but I'm not willing to say the assumption is wrong, only that I lack hard evidence pro or con. I will say however that it's not exactly a mystery as to how someone would make such an assumption; when you've stated an intention to rebrand someone else's work for your own profit, well, there's not much that one would put past you and you were in a pretty good position to do just what I have assumed. Incidentally, do you know what else would have been free for you besides a third party reseller while giving you almost carte blanche? Subleasing Appleton's servers.

Speaking of rebranding someone else's work for your own gain, what about the second question? Why were you offering free hosting specifically for Unity browser games?

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Why was I offering free hosting? Simple... Because I knew some developers needed a place to host their games and I saw a Market in it that I could take advantage of... Offer Developers free ad supported hosting and make some money... Isn't that how ALL free hosting works? It's how all free hosting I've seen works. You get a website for free in exchange for them putting ads on your site... Pretty simple. Web games offer engaging content that keeps people coming back for more so I'd have more people to get the ads in front of and potentially have them click on the ads.

Taojnhy

Novice
Why was I offering free hosting? Simple... Because I knew some developers needed a place to host their games and I saw a Market in it that I could take advantage of... Offer Developers free ad supported hosting and make some money... Isn't that how ALL free hosting works? It's how all free hosting I've seen works. You get a website for free in exchange for them putting ads on your site... Pretty simple. Web games offer engaging content that keeps people coming back for more so I'd have more people to get the ads in front of and potentially have them click on the ads.
And at no point did you think to yourself, "If they put stuff up that I can make use of, I'll just take it, make some slight changes and claim it as my own work to resell on the asset store"?

GM_JamesPro

Savant
And at no point did you think to yourself, "If they put stuff up that I can make use of, I'll just take it, make some slight changes and claim it as my own work to resell on the asset store"?

Nope not once... Besides I'm not in the business of De-compiling people's work. The ONLY thing I ever really talked about making my own and licensing was an open source Game Engine that was still very much in development... The Open source License it was under allowed you to do ANYTHING at all you wanted to do with it including resell it. I was thinking about finishing it up and then licensing it. Again nothing at all wrong with that. Wasn't anything the Open Source License stated couldn't be done.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Srly now, a "3rd party webhosting reseller", really?

social_arena.jpg

JamesPro

If there's anything I can assist you with or if you have questions please let me know here or through our Support Ticket System on our site.

Sureeeee.....

lol You REALLY need to get a life. - http://myownfreehost.net/ there's the site I was going through... Got a problem with it take it else where cause I'm not interested in playing along with your drama you love to start.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
When it comes to starting a web hosting business like I was trying back then what's the worst that could happen? I get no people interested and nothing comes of it... Best case I get some people and I make at least a little money not bad out comes if you ask me... As for making the Opensource Game Engine my own and licensing it what's wrong with that? If I'm taking the time to finish a Product that is opensource and the license I have licensed it under specifically says do what you want with it then what's the harm in licensing it? As people have pointed out Time is money... So I'm spending Money to have it finished it's reasonable to expect to be able to get something in return for it... Licenses like the MIT Opensource license specifically state you can license or do whatever you want with it but that the original developer isn't responsible for any damages...

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

Myobi

Liturgist
lol You REALLY need to get a life. - http://myownfreehost.net/ there's the site I was going through... Got a problem with it take it else where cause I'm not interested in playing along with your drama you love to start.

Oh my God, hahaha, “get a life”? Are you for real?! Dude…

I’m not the one who spent the last years sitting home pretending to be a game developer, announcing new projects over and over, after just gluing a couple of assets together and always with a lame ass excuse to never finish any of them. I’m not the one who has to beg for others people’s money to be able to keep my house warm. I’m not the one who has to participate in a 100,000$ scam in order to get myself a new computer…. You silly hypocritical little crap, go take a good look at yourself and what you’ve been doing up to this point before even thinking about telling someone else to “get a life”.

But I understand, you are mad, I get it. After all this time of getting praised by fools for your “originality” after announcing every new dumb ass project, they are finally realizing the kind of person you are, it’s no surprise that this would eventually happen though.

Myownfreehost? Yeah, it does sound exactly the kind of shit you would get yourself into, not doubting you on this one anymore, that’s for sure! It also seems to have an amazing reputation, the amount of people telling others to just stay the fuck away from is quite funny.

Look, I’ll tell you what… you keep accusing me of having “no life”, of making “drama”, “attacking” you and "ruining" your projects, such as the previous city life, how about if I actually give you a taste of that? In Portugal there is a saying that goes “já que tens a fama, tira o proveito”, I hope you enjoy it mate.

Taojnhy

Novice
As for making the Opensource Game Engine my own and licensing it what's wrong with that? If I'm taking the time to finish a Product that is opensource and the license I have licensed it under specifically says do what you want with it then what's the harm in licensing it?

I like how you googled "open source license", clicked the first link (https://opensource.org/licenses), then quoted part of the first license agreement that fit your argument (https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT) instead of quoting the specific and relevant portion of the license for the software you received from gameindustries.

As far as I could see on the gameindustries site, you can't do anything with their software without written permission; did you have such permission?
From https://www.gameinstitute.com/about/terms/ :
Course Content
For the purposes of this section "Course Content" shall mean all source code, projects, art assets, scripts, tools, sound effects, and all other material that is made available as part of a GameInstitute course, either downloaded from the Web or made available in streamable format or on CD or DVD ROM. All Course Content is the copyrighted work of GameInstitute, its teachers, or its licensors. If you intend to use GameInstitute Course Content in any project (commercial or non-commercial) that will be publicly distributed, written permission must first be obtained from GameInstitute. GameInstitute reserves the right to decline the use of its Course Content if it deems that the Course Content will be used to develop any product which competes with the interests of the company. GameInstitute Course Content cannot be distributed in any way to any other parties under any circumstances without written permission from GameInstitute.

You know, I almost wish I hadn't even brought the game engine license up; it's not like you were ever going to finish it anyways. The point I was making James is that you're a talentless fraud who knows enough to fool people who don't know any better and doesn't see anything wrong with claiming the work of others as your own while seeking to profit from it.

EJoe

Educated
In the spirit of open-source, you have to make available, your changes to the public.

All this time you have been plagiarizing other people's work and claiming it as your own.

If you were an artist or modeler or developer, plagiarism is grounds for dismissal. No wonder you haven't found any work!

You cannot simply buy something, and claim it as your own, irregardless of license. (MIT or whatever).

GM_JamesPro

Savant
In the spirit of open-source, you have to make available, your changes to the public.

All this time you have been plagiarizing other people's work and claiming it as your own.

If you were an artist or modeler or developer, plagiarism is grounds for dismissal. No wonder you haven't found any work!

You cannot simply buy something, and claim it as your own, irregardless of license. (MIT or whatever).

Under the MIT license you have to provide the source code to those you license it out to... You don't have to make your changes available to everyone... If you did then why would it specifically say you can resell it since people would just download the Opensource version instead of actually licensing it... Under GPL you have to keep it opensource for everyone but GPL is one of the most restrictive Opensource Licenses while last I knew MIT was one of the least restrictive... LGPL is a less Restrictive version of the GPL but still more restrictive then MIT.

But regardless I haven't actually licensed anything out as a paid License... I've provided some stuff under a Opensource License that I personally have started... I had a Game Engine I put together using Opensource Frameworks for different Systems such as Ogre3d for Rendering, OIS for Input, and bunch of other things... I had that engine up on Source Forge not sure if it's still there or not though. I have the engine still on my computer.

Taojnhy

Novice
But regardless I haven't actually licensed anything out as a paid License... I've provided some stuff under a Opensource License that I personally have started... I had a Game Engine I put together using Opensource Frameworks for different Systems such as Ogre3d for Rendering, OIS for Input, and bunch of other things... I had that engine up on Source Forge not sure if it's still there or not though. I have the engine still on my computer.
Of course you haven't licensed out anything that people would pay for; YOU NEVER COMPLETE ANYTHING!

Hell, even by your own words this "game engine" you claim to have put together is just frankensteined pieces of other people's work. I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that it doesn't work in any capacity that could convince anyone to consider using it.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Of course you haven't licensed out anything that people would pay for; YOU NEVER COMPLETE ANYTHING!

Hell, even by your own words this "game engine" you claim to have put together is just frankensteined pieces of other people's work. I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to say that it doesn't work in any capacity that could convince anyone to consider using it.

Really isn't that all any game engine is? DirectX and/or OpenGL for Graphics, PhysX or similar Physics Engine (I used Havok for my Physics), RakNet or Similar Networking Library, ect. Why reinvent the wheel when there are people who spend years developing these individual components that can be used? And then the Engine Developer create the glue code that makes everything work together... My Engine has a Entity system based on Unity's Entity system that I coded. You can create "Game Objects" and then attach Components to the Game Object in order for it to do anything. I have a couple default basic Components and then can create custom components.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Really isn't that all any game engine is? DirectX and/or OpenGL for Graphics, PhysX or similar Physics Engine (I used Havok for my Physics), RakNet or Similar Networking Library, ect.
This is what James Proctor actually believes.

Good luck with that MMO :lol:

Thanks... It's actually going really well. People the game is actually meant for are generally pretty happy with it so far.

I am fully aware you meant that as an insult but hey I can view it any way I want. I can't believe people would actually be so Immature as to insult others...

Myobi

Liturgist
Really isn't that all any game engine is? DirectX and/or OpenGL for Graphics, PhysX or similar Physics Engine (I used Havok for my Physics), RakNet or Similar Networking Library, ect.
This is what James Proctor actually believes.

Good luck with that MMO :lol:

Thanks... It's actually going really well. People the game is actually meant for are generally pretty happy with it so far.

I am fully aware you meant that as an insult but hey I can view it any way I want. I can't believe people would actually be so Immature as to insult others...

Jeez dude, the guy wishes you good luck and you call him fucking immature just because you assumed a bunch of shit? That’s just rude. This is the reason why the other kids didn’t wanted to play with you…

Aenra

Can't someone /dumbfuck him for crying out loud? I mean seriously, he's fucking earned it already.

Anyway.. back to building my own MMO from scratch with Jenga blocks.

Tybost

Novice
So... this definitely doesn't sound like proctor and does indeed sound more like our dear long-lost Appleton.

Here is a quick snippet from the thread for anyone interested: #FairDecentIshRead https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=472417&p=2
1r6B3Lj.jpg

@Proctor - In a way... you're sort of worse than appleton at this point, simply because you're keeping a clear scam alive spiritually.

Nobody believes that you have the capability of building a game from the ground up.

It won't be changing anytime soon.

You had those good intentions at the beginning, but ultimately you've proven incompetent publicly.

1) You failed to abandon your proctor identity and move on.
2) You revived a very dirty and soiled IP which should've never seen the light of day again.
3) You always had good intentions, but at the end of the day you're the reason why nobody can strangle the living shit out of appleton.
4) You've prevented taking down a true scumbag scammer, you protected him by taking his project titanic
...and I would rather see him burn, then watch these embarrassing events unfold personally.

It has mostly led others to dislike you equally if not more than appleton at this point.

1) Appleton will always remain as a class-A con-artist and nobody will ever like him.
2) Anything he does online will always follow him around FOREVER.
3) He can never hide from the scam that he created and his new masked identities will always be ripped off.
4) He can never push his scam creation onto another and will always be solely responsible from our eyes.

1) You on the other hand are different, and you've always had a chance to disappear into the night.
1a) You could literally disappear like a fart in the wind, and nobody would care. /Liketherestofusreally
2) You keep coming back to a ship that was already at the bottom of the ocean.
2b) Attention Seeking? Appleton/Scam Protecting? Hoping to deliver something to those affected /Aka. Goodwill that nobody can see now.
3) It's time to wake up from dream land and move on to something else.

Honestly, nobody can feel sad for you anymore.
Only embarrassment is left to be felt.

And... We love it!
Please give us more.

No but seriously... Sod-Off Already~ LOL
/2centsSwitchingBackToNeutralPosts
sod-off-1-o.gif

GM_JamesPro

Savant
My taking over GM does NOT absolve Jason of the past like he tried to claim so he would get people off his back. We took over responsibility for GM from the date we signed the papers... Jason is STILL responsible for everything that happened before that. Since everything with the money happened before he is STILL responsible for that IF he in fact scammed people. I'm not even going to concern my self with trying to figure things out. If people want to let a court decide if he scammed anyone then he is still fair game. Based on the contract I can not and will not be a part of launching any lawsuit on him... The Contract however and and anything else you guys need from my end though is yours if you guys need it for any reason.

Next why the hell would I abandon who I am? Why the hell would I abandon my name? I am attempting to make things right. I'm actively working on a smaller scale game because I fully realize at this time I have no resources for a full scale MMO. So I have scaled things back to be a smaller scale Multiplayer game. As long as I leave GM unfinished though I will have no hope in the gaming industry so I am trying to make things right with in the confines of the resources I have. Yes Graphics aren't the best but the game is playable... However the same people who attack everything I do are attacking me for the graphics. Well fine that's ok... The game isn't meant for them. I've got a following though that thinks the graphics are fine and others are saying the graphics can be refined later on closer to release which is true.

Tybost

Novice
You don't have to abandon who you are... just change your online alias so only people that know you can identify you.

Anyone in your shoes would've:
  • Deleted all accounts that had JamesPro and went under a name like smurfington69, or INeverWorkedOnGM, or a better online alias.
  • Wouldn't touch Greed Monger with a ten-foot pole with how much negativity that surrounds it and continues onto other projects
How is your sanity doing? How can you take such public humiliation and still manage to walk at this point? More Importantly: Why do you feel like you MUST make things RIGHT?

GM_JamesPro "Next why the hell would I abandon who I am? Why the hell would I abandon my name? I am attempting to make things right."
A: You could've also made things right by disappearing into the night under a new alias. You could then create something new for those affected, while under a new alias. You could also refund people who want a refund... they probably don't care at this point one bit.

Reality:
Do you even have the capability to build a game on your own without using other peoples work? A: Appleton & You + The $$$ which Greed Monger previously had couldn't manage to accomplish very much without hiring talent to build incomplete modules, poor UI-Artwork, and other assets that you couldn't figure out how to put together.

This is what you and money were capable of building 1:02:00 (Still makes me laugh to this very day)

• You need more than just programming knowledge to build a game.
  • You need passion to build a game ...and of course talent which you are clearly lacking.
Nobody is saying you cannot redeem yourself to make things right... but you should do so without reviving a tainted IP~ and should do so under a name where nobody can track you. /Opinion

Ahem* Anyway~
  • You made a huge mistake signing those papers
  • You made a huge mistake reviving a closed project
You could've disappeared into the night and nobody would've cared both times.
  1. Why revive such a tainted game name that scammer appleton created? Instead of starting your own? A: Greed Monger is one of the most popular project you worked on which received the most attention, and you're an attention seeker that cares little for self-reputation.
  2. Why not abandon your name for another alias that is less tainted? So you don't have people bringing up your past with GM? A: You're far too attached to your 'Tainted' username that might be your real life name, or you're too stupid to disappear into the night. #FailedAssassin
  3. Why do you feel the need to make things right? A?: Because it's the RIGHT thing to do? Lol #PleaseSayItIsn'tSo #QuestionSanityAtThisPoint
:killit:
  • You say you're making a smaller scale version of Greed Monger... STOP RIGHT IN YOUR TRACKS: That's the fucking problem here... you again took a wrong turn!
  • You're going about this in the wrong way and reattaching yourself to failure.
  • The game that Greed Monger was suppose to be is definitely something you do not have the capability of creating.
  • It's the very reason why you are being publicly humiliated left and right.
Again scroll back up and watch that video.
You and your team with $$$ were capable of only THAT at best. /Sigh

You're too far attached to something that is far too late to save.
You won't be able to surface from the bottom of the sea unless you abandon your ship.
You cannot patch your ship when your ship is already sunken which is what you're trying to do.

Please just stop.
embarassed-gif.gif

Last edited:

Von_piro

Novice
Don´t stop Proctor, lurkers will be appreciated. In fact I think you need to start NEW alternative projects, lots of them... keep digging your grave pal!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom