Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by DarKPenguiN, Mar 31, 2015.

1. GM_JamesPro Learned

GM_JamesPro
    There was no Signed Contract... Just Skype Discussions where we discussed everything... So even if I did continue with GM and launched I would have no legally binding Contract ensuring that I would get my percentage of the profits like Jason and I had talked about... From talking to one of our other former team members it seems he was promising percentages of the profits to others as well while at the same time saying we were the only ones he was offering these deals to. And even if I did get a percentage of the Profits how much profits does Jason really think we would be getting after the PR mess he created for us.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    Get ready for super colossal dumbfuckery.

Just remember who your favorite penguin is because shit might get heated soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SupaNova Barely Literate

SupaNova
    Im one of GM's (former now i guess) QA testers. And TBH, Good on you James, Youve been running the show with the threat of a lawsuit for quite some time now, although the updates over the last few weeks had been becoming progressively more promising its not worth damaging your health over. Best of luck with future ventures.

Also, This forums seems quite nice, might lurk around for a while.

• Brofist Brofist x 17
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    Edit- (to be more kind)- Jason will you kindly take that dick from your mouth when you get a moment and come discuss the failure of greed monger.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Don't taunt your whale too much, Ahab.

^ Top  
  6. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    I fixed it to be a bit kind.

^ Top  
  7. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    http://www.greedmonger.com/forum/showthread.php?2055-Leaving-Greed-Monger&p=29904#post29904

So, it's official. I wonder if our investigator Dark Penguin did provoke this or if we're just seeing a freak string of coincidences. If it's the former then the codex can officially claim to have sunk a promising game (according to its still deluded backers) :incline:

In any case that should get Jason Appleton to come out of the woodwork, or at the very least his next figurehead/victim.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    I have no idea what you're saying but your avatar is kinda hot...In a robot kind of way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Andnjord Arcane

Andnjord
    As in: -thread pops up on the codex exposing the shady backstory of GreedMonger.
    -Lead developer joins in the discussion.
    -5 days later said lead developer resigns from his position.

Or I might just be mixing up the various names, that's also a possibility.

^ Top  
  10. Scrooge Female Quota Staff Patron

Scrooge
    Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Very good. You did the right thing in leaving. And it really seems Jason is to be blamed for everything. Now you can put your energy into something more productive and motivating for you instead of this more or less dead (sorry but it still seems that way ;)) thing.

I also hope that Jason will show up here, but I doubt it, since he obviously couldn't even be bothered to post on the GM forums.

^ Top  
  11. Ranselknulf Arcane Patron

Ranselknulf
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I see a lot of words but no actual discussion.

If you have something to say to me say it. Otherwise piss off. This isn't a lecture it's an internet discussion thread.

You seem butthurt that I've summarized the situation better than you. There is a person (JP) working on this game for free who is either a complete dupe beta or made a really bad business decision and is gonna get boned if he ever finishes the game. The game you claim to want to get finished but I don't think that's your ultimate purpose. I think you just want to stir the pot, which is fine, but don't pretend you are here looking out for the "backers".

I stand by my analysis, I think he should stop work completely on this game until the situation is resolved, or just stop work forever as this situation isn't worth the effort to deal with.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Personally I'm still not 100% convinced that DarkPenguin, GM_JamesPro and SupaNova aren't actually the same person, but whatever :kfc:

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  13. Krraloth Prophet Patron

Krraloth
    Wasteland 2
    I do not know enough about laws in the U.S. but can a person under no contract whatsoever get sued because he didn't comply with what appears to be just words on the internet?

^ Top  
  14. EJoe Educated

EJoe
    No. Skype chats are not legal tender documents. Usually, scam-artists (like the kind who make shitty artwork for GM game) say that it's legally binding but it is not. You can tell a bunch of lies on Skype and get away with it legally.

How to say? You need to be square with your dealings (F&AM). The second part is to be square with your works. This kind of legal intimidation would not hold up in court.

Please put a developer tag on me cos I came here to congratulate Jason for leaving GM.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. EJoe Educated

EJoe
    I came out of the woodwork as (GM person) approached us a couple years ago asking for MMO tech, coding and modelling services.
    For our MMO tech, we use similar what Age of Conan uses.

When the Greed Monger guy came to us, he wanted everything for free, or the contract was so worded that we would get a fraction of what should be the value of the services rendered.

Coding - for royalty while demanding AAA quality.

Modelling - high quality for free.

Due to our friends' feedback, we didn't deal with Greed Monger person and stayed away from him.

One of the persons on Greed Monger - KS page - Steven Davis - is a known scam artist:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/do-not-hire-steven-davis.148014/

The legal contract was so worded that if we signed it, we would be sued for NDA breach (considering what a PR nightmare GM is), our code and models would be used for free without any payment until GM makes money, after game starts, excluding all pledges, gifts, pledges and KS money.

The estimated sum is more than US$90,000 as on KS page. The private donations run twice as much. More like a total of US$200,000 as the private pledges were equal that of on KS page.

A few weeks later, one of the modelers I know, had it and posted this, then (GM Guy) threatened to sue him
    http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/69845-greed-monger/

JamesP, you have my sympathies. You shouldn't be doing coding projects for a pittance.

• Brofist Brofist x 21
    ^ Top  
  16. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    You know, I just had this hilarious concept for a Kickstarter project: "Kickstarter Scam Simulator".

Stretch goals: We take the money and run.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  17. EJoe Educated

EJoe
    I can never seem to type Greed Monger on my iPad. It keeps auto-correcting to Greed Minger. Weird.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    Flunk- The more you write things (having not read the thread) the more of an idiot you are look like to those who HAVE read it. Christ,I know you're an intelligent guy. read the fucking thread or not but your comments make no sense right now.

^ Top  
  19. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    God, you guys are paranoid...

But wouldnt that make a great twist? =P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    This is where we need a Jaesun 'Sir-tech thread'-style troll:

Users posting from this IP address:
    DarkPenguin
    GM_JamesPro
    SupaNova
    crojipjip

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    Honestly, it came as a surprise to me also. James PM'd me and we got on skype and talked for several hours. He had been essentially working under duress due to the threat of a lawsuit by Appleton- This was far more than I expected tbh.

I wanted Appleton to come crawling out from under his rock and have to face the same bullshit James had been facing for 3 years . Appleton took the money with no accountability and pretty much disappeared off the internet. He used James as a shield and as long as James kept jumping in to defend GM ,Jason could sit back and do nothing. By being such an asshole towards James I figured he would finally say "fuck it" and tell Appleton todeal with the GM "publicity" that keeps cropping up. I honestly didnt think he was going to quit.

But he made the correct decision ,no doubt. And now Appleton will have to come out into the sunlight and face this shit he has been hiding from for 3 years.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    They're all posting from inside your house, Zorba the Hutt! Danger is close.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  23. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. DarKPenguiN Arcane

DarKPenguiN
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Copypasta the full news for brofist harvest, lightless flightless bird.

That said, LOL, what the fuck.

This is surreal.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)