Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://greedfall.com

https://af.gog.com/game/greedfall?as=1649904300

https://twitter.com/FocusHome/status/826834742528061441

Greedfall, the upcoming RPG from @SpidersGames is being presented by Jehanne Rousseau at our #WhatsNext press event!

IKhCAht.jpg

o3Bvovh.jpg

From the studio that "is still learning the craft, but has made some interesting games" (Feargus Urquhart).

More info very soon, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty art, but the title is just stupid. Not expecting much of anything, especially from their past games.

Zetor

Arcane
I assume a 'greedfall' is what happens when you slip on the 'icy' ground while rushing to claim the 'black geyser' for yourself and fuck this joke is lame enough as it is

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I assume a 'greedfall' is what happens when you slip on the 'icy' ground while rushing to claim the 'black geyser' for yourself and fuck this joke is lame enough as it is

While taking a drug called ELEX, I assume.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've bought all of their games for €5-10 or gotten them in bundles. I need to play them someday. I've only played Mars: War Logs.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, I just learned about this after faffing around their Twitter. Spiders making another game? Sign me up.

PirateScum

Augur
GreedFall sounds like a homage to AAA publishers and the ensueing consequences on vidya game quality.

Other than that, Spiders shovelware is best shovelware!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/08/greedfall-spiders-rpg/

Greedfall is Spiders’ colonial fantasy RPG
Adam Smith on February 8th, 2017 at 1:00 pm.

greedfall.jpg

Spiders, the team behind Mars: War Logs, Bound by Flame and The Technomancer, are working on a new RPG that goes by the name Greedfall [official site]. The title may be a callback of sorts to Silverfall, an action-RPG that many of the studio’s initial developers worked on at Monte Cristo shortly before forming their new studio. Like that earlier title, Greedfall has a technology vs nature vibe, depicting an island paradise that has been discovered by colonial forces from several distinct nations. You play as a neutral, able to ally yourself with either the nature-loving natives, or any of the nations seeking to exploit the island’s resources. It’s all make-believe, with magic and monsters and a fictional map, but the art style and military tech is 17th century European in style.

With only a teaser trailer and a broadly Biowaresque take on RPGs to go on, it’s impossible to say how Greedfall will turn out. I’ve never played more than a couple of hours of all the Spiders games combined, mainly because big RPGs aren’t my favourite things in the world, so if I’m going to spend time with one or two annually, I’m going to pick the ones that come the most highly recommended.

Spiders games have never come highly recommended enough to put them at the top of my list. That said, I’d love Greedfall to be the first one that does. I don’t enjoy the Bioware or Bethesda fashion in playing of roles, and much as I’d love to sink my teeth and my time into something a bit more retro, like Torment or another Pillars, I’m fairly sure Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the only one that I want this year. It’d be good to have something surprising and perhaps a fantastical colonial power struggle will be that thing. I’m doubtful, but open to the possibility.

greedfall2.jpg

Greedfall is set in a completely new world, and the many quests can be completed using “combat, diplomacy, deception or stealth”. There are companions to collect, mysteries to discover and multiple endings, all based on your actions during the game. Side with the religious zealots and you might help to convert the entire island nation to whatever faith they’re importing, or go with the science types and you might find a way to harness all of that raw nature energy. Of course, if you’re not a bastard you’ll probably be figuring out how to channel the raw nature energy so you can fire it back at all of the invaders and send them packing, and then you’ll probably get to live in a tree forever.

Whatever else, if the concept art reflects the final look of the game, I’ll be tempted to play it just for the pleasure of walking through a beautifully painted world.

greedfall3.jpg

Even though the game is set entirely on the island, as far as Spiders are willing to tell at the moment, there will be established settlements for each of the colonial powers. If that means we get to wander around streets like the ones you can see above, bring it on.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
They always come up with interesting (and refreshing) settings for their games, shame the execution is so lackluster.

Indranys

Savant
Wow they have guts.
Colonialism theme is quite hard to pull off though.

It must be tastefully done or it will slide into silly stuff like hurr muh innocent freedom loving noble savages or the civilized foreign colonizers etc.
The causes and effects of colonialism are quite complex so they shouldn't overly simplify it or it will become another banal shit and boring product...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

GreedFall is the latest RPG from Spiders, currently in development for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Revealed at 'le What's Next de Focus' event last week, GreedFall today unveil a first teaser trailer, hinting at the 17th century setting of the game and its ambiance embedded in magic. As showcased in this video, Greedfall aims for a very unique visual identity, inspired by Baroque art from 17th Century Europe, depicting grandiose sceneries in muted warm colors and dark undertones.

Explore a fresh new world as you set foot - alongside many other settlers, mercenaries and treasure hunters - on a remote island seeping with magic, rumored to be filled with riches and lost secrets. A grand journey filled with mystery follows, as you find yourself in the middle of ever-increasing tensions between the invading settlers and the locals, protected by supernatural beings, manifestation of the island's earthly magic.

With a strong focus on its core RPG identity, GreedFall follows Spiders' experience in building intricate worlds filled with mysteries to discover, weaving deep character interactions, and offering players great freedom to achieve quests and objectives in a multitude of different ways - through combat of course, but also through diplomacy, deception or stealth. The island of GreedFall is a living, ever-evolving world. Your actions, from seemingly trivial choices to the most important political decisions, will influence and affect its course as well as the relationship between the different factions established on the island.

'With GreedFall, Spiders is happy to renew its collaboration with Focus Home Interactive, our publisher for many years. The relationship of trust and transparency we have been developing together makes us particularly confident about the creation of this new project, more ambitious than all our past productions. Few publishers have the ability to support totally distinctive games like GreedFall and this secures us in our belief that we will manage with Focus Home Interactive to make this experience in a brand new universe both unique and unforgettable', says Jehanne Rousseau, CEO of Spiders.

'We are happy to once again support the studio, directed by Jehanne Rousseau, in a new collaboration. If Spiders' titles could have divided gamers in the past, they are gathering a bigger and bigger audience that enjoys the studios approach to the role-playing genre, allowing Spiders to improve game after game. Through this new collaboration, the studio will have more means to fully achieve its ambition. Thanks to its theme, its universe and its promise, Spiders' GreedFall will be a game to closely follow, for RPG lovers', says Cédric Lagarrigue, President of Focus Home Interactive.

GreedFall is planned for release in 2018. We will reveal more about the game the weeks and months to come.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm getting some Fae and "choose your side" vibes here. Hopefully we can go full pro-human. Let's see if this setting is more than just backdrop for the game.

Could've picked a more appropriate song, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Spiders' titles could have divided gamers in the past, they are gathering a bigger and bigger audience that enjoys the studios approach to the role-playing genre, allowing Spiders to improve game after game.

Hah, trying to capitalize on their underdog status. Why not?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Knowing their past titles, this looks like more of the same, and again with a mildly interesting setup that most likely turns the inevitable "meh" feeling into disappointment for not having that "mildly interes..bahblah" thing used for a better game.

'Greedfall'.

Shit.

It really only allows threepossibilities. It's either:
  1. A rare ultra-optimistic piece about the fall/overcoming of one of humanity's greatest vices.
  2. A hardcore Marxist themeset, where, instead of focussing on cultural (aka 'not') Marxism, it's delving hard into the fatalistic 'history is determined, it's an unavoidable sequence of improvments which will degrade once they reach their economic limits, spurring the next advancement, and specifically anarchy will be improved upon by Empire, which will take a necessary step down in order to decentralise, those dark ages will be impoved upon by feudalism, that will be improved upon by aristrocacy, which will be improved upon by capitalism, and improved on by advanced capitalism, until advanced capitalism becomes unsustainable due to class conflict and fatal flaws in its financing, leading to communist utopia as the final step up the ladder', aka Greed(will)fall.
  3. Some fucking moron in marketing threw together two random words and ran with it, in the knowledge that the tech execs will never oppose it for fear of being exposed as 'knowing nothing about business'.

Gee, whch one, which one. Obviously it's 3. They all have crazy flaws, but 3 is the only one where even the eggheads who have run massive statistical analysis in their sperg time will reluctantly admit that at least it's better than letting their marketing morons perform more than 5 seconds of work, b/c who the fuck knows how many ways they'd destroy the company if they hung around often enough to simuiate a full-time job.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
CD Projekt called. They want their fiend back.

It's a different model obviously, but I think they'll be re-using some assets from their previous games where they can get away with things like rigging, etc.

bound_by_flame_07.jpg

Durian Eater

Learned
If Spiders' titles could have divided gamers in the past, they are gathering a bigger and bigger audience that enjoys the studios approach to the role-playing genre, allowing Spiders to improve game after game.

Hah, trying to capitalize on their underdog status. Why not?

Not incorrect, though. It's fair to say that each Spiders game is better than the one that came before it, although I don't know how that translates sales-wise. Hope they keep it up. There's always more room in the skill-tree conversation-heavy action-adventure space.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Wow they have guts.
Colonialism theme is quite hard to pull off though.

It must be tastefully done or it will slide into silly stuff like hurr muh innocent freedom loving noble savages or the civilized foreign colonizers etc.
The causes and effects of colonialism are quite complex so they shouldn't overly simplify it or it will become another banal shit and boring product...
The first thing I thought was "Please, not another evil technological greedy drones vs goody-goody tree-huggers", since of course the old 'civilized settlers vs beastly savages' is haram nowadays.

Hey, maybe they'll go Warhammer 40K with 'evil colonizers VS beastly savages' (I don't have much hope for a nuanced approach to the subject).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom