Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Does Petrus dialogue change if your character has a different background? E.g. mage vs warrior.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Does Petrus dialogue change if your character has a different background? E.g. mage vs warrior.
Nah, magic is in your blood even if you are a gunslinger. You can also respec at any moment into a mage or whatever with crystal.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The amount of filler and padded out content in this game is downright retarded. It's been years since I played a game that required me to do prolong its life like this.
You got a quest with some guy who got attacked by something and you go there and the nurse says she needs a potion she doesn't have. She wants me to craft it. Ok. Except that the closest workbench is 200m away. After a serpentine. Filled with monsters. I stopped grinding the arena so I can grind this shit? Whatever. I go, craft it, return.
She thanks me and tells me to come back after 24 hours to let that guy recover. I'm like "bitch, in order to come back after 24 hours I have to go back to camp, which is still 200m away, advance time and then run again 200m" just so I can hear that guy telling me that I should investigate some area. Ok.
I go there and De Shite starts monologuing before the prompts to examine appear. I go to one, examine it and De Shite spends around 30 secs explaining everything, basically putting CSI to shame with how much stuff he deduces. And that's on one examination prompt. There are 4 or 5 on that area.
Anyway some undetermined amount of time after, I go do some other quest. This one asks me to go speak to 3 leaders. Ok. I go to one and he doesn't trust me so I have to win his trust by doing 1 or 2 fetch quests across the map, because, you know, I haven't walked enough. I swear, I walked in this game more than I actually did quests, fought, engaged in dialogue. And this is just the main quest BTW. Also, related to quests, the stat checks you see in Serene, the tutorial map, drop by like 90% in the other areas. Wtf? Some vigor checks, science non existent, intuition here and there, lockpicking I haven't used since, well, arriving on New Serene.
Outside of some brilliant moments and quest design, this game sucks. Fucking ELEX was better than this and I never thought I'd say this with a straight face. I haven't played Technomancer, but if this is better than that then ........holy shit.
Invisible walls, travelling between areas stops you at a camp with a shop EVERY TIME, dungeons have Skyrim doors, those navaim/Navin/whatever the fuck stupid name they have bosses have ultra inflated HP bars, my fingers literally hurting after a while, SO much fucking walking between quest areas or quest givers, backtracking and some more walking, quests that sub divide into more quests and fetch quests just to complete that one initial quest, quest objectives being all over the damn map, going back to inform that retarded cousin of yours about everything you do (you take a dump, you have to go back and tell him all about it), enemies that return to their areas just like it happens in MMOs, killing mobs and having to wait for that loot prompt to actually work or else you'll talk with your dumb meat shields, I mean companions, because they're standing so close to you and it's the same button for talking to them and for looting, you can't control them, talking to Kurt in the beginning only gives you the option to profess your homo love to him (it felt so good when he betrayed me and I finally killed him), Petrus is good, really having good suggestions about quests, following his advice actually led me to a favorable outcome for a quest, Vasco dies like no one's business even fully upgraded, Aphra goes into melee range to throw bombs, Siora/Fiora/whatever her name is heals me when I'm at full health but not when I need it, stealth is shit, disguises don't come into play anymore, climbing ladders animation is slow and dumb, De Shite trying his best not to fall from the ladder at soon as he grabs it, the only good looking armors are the native ones and I'm going to stop here.
At this point I'm level 42 and I actually don't know how to finish the game faster so I can use my favorite tool, uninstall.exe.
Repetitive quests, walking and more walking, whoever called Skyrim a walking simulator hasn't played this game. This takes walking to a whole new level. Being in combat and opening the inventory, journal, map doesn't actually pause the game which is just lol.
In one word, archaic is what this game is. Archaic design. In this day and age, to come out with stuff like this is embarrassing. I understand small studio, limited budget and that but still, shouldn't have bitten more than they can chew.
I just talked with the god tree now and wow, what a great time spent that was, telling me in an Irish voice that the people of the continent are to blame for the disease and how they poison the environment. Felt like listening to a green activist, fight against pollution and all that. Awesome.
Also, Siora/Fiora left me, just like that. Fuck her. Fuck all of them. I don't need them. I got power now.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones can't come out soon enough.
How much more do I have of the main story? In hours, minutes? How close I am to the end? All I've done in the past 4 hours was just rushing the story.

Edit: typos.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The logging camp quest is by far the worst quest I've encountered so far.
The worst part about these non-english speaking developers is that they never seem to actually interact with people who play their games and take zero feedback. They make the same fucking mistakes over and over in their games.

SteelAttack

Novice
The logging camp quest is by far the worst quest I've encountered so far.
The worst part about these non-english speaking developers is that they never seem to actually interact with people who play their games and take zero feedback. They make the same fucking mistakes over and over in their games.
Holy shit yes. I did that one today and stopped after finishing it because I was fed up with its bullshit. So much back and forth between the same couple places doing the same thing without having any agency given to you, to find only one possible conclusion in the end. On paper it is a well written quest that touches on issues like corruption and slavery but it's a shame they never go anywhere with that.

I don't have stringent standards, I can see the positives in almost anything and I'm truly enjoying this game, but this particular quest got on my nerves for some reason.

Codex Year of the Donut
After 7 mediocre games with the same glaring design flaws, Spiders clearly has no interest in taking feedback at this point.

They're a Eurojank factory, taking advantage of Eurojank fans low standards to shovel out shit every 1-2 years.
Not every company can put out pure quality like Mass Effect: Andromeda or Fallout 4.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Just started playing this game and some of these characters' faces... woof.

The combat seems interesting though, a mixture of Dragon Age Inquisition and Dark Souls-lite from my first impressions.

Jinn

Arcane
so far i fail to see, what makes rifles better than pistols?

Rifles usually have higher damage and armor damage per shot (depending on relative quality, of course) but are slower to pull out and generally have a slower rate of fire than pistols. Unfortunately I've found that pistols are superior in almost all situations, particularly when you get into higher quality gear. Used a rifle for a little while before returning to pistols and not looking back. Blasting six rounds out of a powerful revolver is much more practical and satisfying than the one big boom from the rifle.

Oh, I think some rifles might have a higher chance of cutting through the enemy's Balance stat too, thus knocking them on their ass.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I bought a blue pistol early on that I used for a long time, had really high damage.
Eventually replaced it with a rifle that could fire twice before reloading.

Jinn

Arcane
any differences on rapiers/sabres/daggers or do I just pick one that look coolest?

Different attack animations, patterns, and even speed when you factor in the former two. Daggers almost always have a higher Fury Generation stat. I'd say just pick whatever fits your style more, since they all count towards one-handed blade damage in your skill tree. I ended up using rapiers more often than the other two until I reached Two-Handed Swords. Now I just swing those clumsy, slow things around cause I find it a lot more fun and interesting. You can also get nice swipe AOEs with Two-Handers.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The amount of filler and padded out content in this game is downright retarded. It's been years since I played a game that required me to do prolong its life like this.
You got a quest with some guy who got attacked by something and you go there and the nurse says she needs a potion she doesn't have. She wants me to craft it. Ok. Except that the closest workbench is 200m away. After a serpentine. Filled with monsters. I stopped grinding the arena so I can grind this shit? Whatever. I go, craft it, return.
She thanks me and tells me to come back after 24 hours to let that guy recover. I'm like "bitch, in order to come back after 24 hours I have to go back to camp, which is still 200m away, advance time and then run again 200m" just so I can hear that guy telling me that I should investigate some area. Ok.
I go there and De Shite starts monologuing before the prompts to examine appear. I go to one, examine it and De Shite spends around 30 secs explaining everything, basically putting CSI to shame with how much stuff he deduces. And that's on one examination prompt. There are 4 or 5 on that area.
Anyway some undetermined amount of time after, I go do some other quest. This one asks me to go speak to 3 leaders. Ok. I go to one and he doesn't trust me so I have to win his trust by doing 1 or 2 fetch quests across the map, because, you know, I haven't walked enough. I swear, I walked in this game more than I actually did quests, fought, engaged in dialogue. And this is just the main quest BTW. Also, related to quests, the stat checks you see in Serene, the tutorial map, drop by like 90% in the other areas. Wtf? Some vigor checks, science non existent, intuition here and there, lockpicking I haven't used since, well, arriving on New Serene.
Outside of some brilliant moments and quest design, this game sucks. Fucking ELEX was better than this and I never thought I'd say this with a straight face. I haven't played Technomancer, but if this is better than that then ........holy shit.
Invisible walls, travelling between areas stops you at a camp with a shop EVERY TIME, dungeons have Skyrim doors, those navaim/Navin/whatever the fuck stupid name they have bosses have ultra inflated HP bars, my fingers literally hurting after a while, SO much fucking walking between quest areas or quest givers, backtracking and some more walking, quests that sub divide into more quests and fetch quests just to complete that one initial quest, quest objectives being all over the damn map, going back to inform that retarded cousin of yours about everything you do (you take a dump, you have to go back and tell him all about it), enemies that return to their areas just like it happens in MMOs, killing mobs and having to wait for that loot prompt to actually work or else you'll talk with your dumb meat shields, I mean companions, because they're standing so close to you and it's the same button for talking to them and for looting, you can't control them, talking to Kurt in the beginning only gives you the option to profess your homo love to him (it felt so good when he betrayed me and I finally killed him), Petrus is good, really having good suggestions about quests, following his advice actually led me to a favorable outcome for a quest, Vasco dies like no one's business even fully upgraded, Aphra goes into melee range to throw bombs, Siora/Fiora/whatever her name is heals me when I'm at full health but not when I need it, stealth is shit, disguises don't come into play anymore, climbing ladders animation is slow and dumb, De Shite trying his best not to fall from the ladder at soon as he grabs it, the only good looking armors are the native ones and I'm going to stop here.
At this point I'm level 42 and I actually don't know how to finish the game faster so I can use my favorite tool, uninstall.exe.
Repetitive quests, walking and more walking, whoever called Skyrim a walking simulator hasn't played this game. This takes walking to a whole new level. Being in combat and opening the inventory, journal, map doesn't actually pause the game which is just lol.
In one word, archaic is what this game is. Archaic design. In this day and age, to come out with stuff like this is embarrassing. I understand small studio, limited budget and that but still, shouldn't have bitten more than they can chew.
I just talked with the god tree now and wow, what a great time spent that was, telling me in an Irish voice that the people of the continent are to blame for the disease and how they poison the environment. Felt like listening to a green activist, fight against pollution and all that. Awesome.
Also, Siora/Fiora left me, just like that. Fuck her. Fuck all of them. I don't need them. I got power now.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones can't come out soon enough.
How much more do I have of the main story? In hours, minutes? How close I am to the end? All I've done in the past 4 hours was just rushing the story.

Edit: typos.
:didntreadlol:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Played for a bit more, this shit is terrible... how can anyone defend this?

1. Extremely linear zones, with at most a couple of quests
2. No C&C
2. Zones with no mob variety
3. All te buildings are copy pasted, go to the governor palace in the first town, then go to the governor palace in the inquisition town... the room layout, the paintings on the wall, even the room decoration is the fucking same... lazy design

This is one of the worse rpg's i have played in the last decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom