Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Played for a bit more, this shit is terrible... how can anyone defend this?

1. Extremely linear zones, with at most a couple of quests
2. No C&C
2. Zones with no mob variety
3. All te buildings are copy pasted, go to the governor palace in the first town, then go to the governor palace in the inquisition town... the room layout, the paintings on the wall, even the room decoration is the fucking same... lazy design

This is one of the worse rpg's i have played in the last decade.
It's a Dragon Age Origins wannabe and it fails.
No mob variety, no tactics system, can't control party members, few stat checks, no isometric view, no friendly fire, easy combat even on Extreme (upgraded storm +upgraded Shadow burst with the best ring = around 1.1k -1.7k damage. Oh? Out of mana? Np. Just pull out a 650-690 upgraded rifle and do 1.1k spammable damage per shot until back to full mana. Only the bosses have HP inflation and those fights suck, they last 10 minutes and you die in 3 hits. It's also where the combat system shows its flaws and poor implementation).

Elex

Arbiter
they only need more money and maybe more time, probally not, only more people for work on certain aspect.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It's a bad RPG and yet it's still better than Dragon Age: Inquisition
I don't know. DAI is bloated to oblivion but making builds, item management & combat is fun. And DAI has some interesting narrative though it only comes to light in the two DLC/Expansions..

I am not sure Greedfall is nearly as competent. Only place where I see Greedfall pull ahead is in side quests.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a bad RPG and yet it's still better than Dragon Age: Inquisition
I don't know. DAI is bloated to oblivion but making builds, item management & combat is fun. And DAI has some interesting narrative though it only comes to light in the two DLC/Expansions..

I am not sure Greedfall is nearly as competent. Only place where I see Greedfall pull ahead is in side quests.

Say what you will about Greedfall, the fucking game doesn’t play itself.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Anyone here play through Dragon Age Inquisition's Exalted Plains area? Greedfall's visuals seem very inspired by it.

I don't know. DAI is bloated to oblivion but making builds, item management & combat is fun.
Fuck. Are you fucking serious? Are you implying that the inventory system and menus in Dragon Age Inquisition is actually good? That the control scheme and UI in general is anything BUT atrocious?

DeepOcean

Arcane
The CEAL, Codexian Eurojank Anti-Defamation League, the biggest defenders of eurojank civil rights, you can identify their insidious tactics every time an eurojank comes out, if you hear "Oh, this game is so cool, if Spiders had a better budget it would be a first class RPG.", translation: "This game sucks balls and I wished it didn't suck balls but I have to defend it because the setting doesn't have elves on it. I also have to ignore all the bad decisions Spiders take over and over again that have nothing to do with budget (like crap combat for example)."; "The combat is so cool, challenging despite what people say, if you play the right way, the game isn't easy." translation: "I'm a huge storyfag anyway."; "There are some really good moments on this game, totally worthy paying full price for it." Translation: "Well, technically, it was 5 - 10hs of good storyfag content on it and 20 - 25hs of complete boredom as Spiders makes asset recycling an virtual eco friendly industry capable of running the entire French economy."

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The CEAL, Codexian Eurojank Anti-Defamation League, the biggest defenders of eurojank civil rights, you can identify their insidious tactics every time an eurojank comes out, if you hear "Oh, this game is so cool, if Spiders had a better budget it would be a first class RPG.", translation: "This game sucks balls and I wished it didn't suck balls but I have to defend it because the setting doesn't have elves on it.

Bound by Flame had elves and it was a cool game nevertheless (too bad they obviously run out of money during development of Act 3).

Fun fact: first rpg by Spiders not only had elves, but also faeries!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faery:_Legends_of_Avalon

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I finally uninstalled it. I got to the point where I had to convince the factions to join me in the fight against the god of retards who now looks like a fucking moose. Well, I had just about enough of that.
Every single quest (I am talking about the main story missions) is just comprised of multiple sub-quests and finishing one main quest feels like I completed 10 smaller quests.
Walking and more walking from one end of the map to the other, get to an area and investigate (basically talk to every NPC and see which one tells you want you need to know but he doesn't trust you so guess what, more quests to gain his trust (read: waste your time)) and when you get there to examine stuff and start examining 1 thing, De Shite starts the info dump and all the other examination prompts disappear until he finishes his speech. GG.
Charisma checks of 50 are successful 90% of the time while those of 75 are failed 80% of the time.
Intuition is barely used, science 1 is required universally (I didn't see a destructible wall that required a higher science value than 1), vigor 2 and 3 do come up often if you explore (which you will because quests send you everywhere), lockpicking you can forget about it (get it to 2 in starting area(s) and have 1 from gear, there really aren't many chests), unique items are generally worse than purples (how the fuck did that happen?), dialogue and subtitles are peppered with typos, no option to destroy factions (I really wanted the coin guards and bridge alliance gone, like forever, but no, De Shite goes to make alliance with them after they betray you, try to assassinate you, perform experiments on natives and other lovely stuff), companions have dogshit AI (that Pedro dude, being a mage, goes into melee range and try to fist the enemy and after that, use spells......if he's still alive at that point), Vasco keeps poisoning his blade and biting the dust, Siora heals me when I'm full HP, all of them scream to drink potions, shitboxes become evident during long boss fights and........did I mention how much you walk in this game?
You travel somewhere and look on the map and why would there be a shortcut or corridor/valley to provide faster access to whatever direction you're going considering that you will revisit certain areas and my "favorite" is the one near a native camp and to get there you need to go around a small hills range that has respawning enemies so you can waste even more time while you run around. Fun.
I watched the ending on YouTube, seems like after you recruit the factions you go after the moose god. But I didn't get there because I just couldn't take it anymore.
This game isn't worth playing even pirated. I would know.
Play better games.
Also started Monster Hunter World. Heard it's good. Hope it is. I really don't want any more bad games right now.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
quick question why was this rated like this? it's true Greedfall is really fucking easy lol

Shit players don't like being exposed.

Play on Extreme then tell me the game is easy

1. ACG said the game is too easy on extreme. ACG of all people!
2. Extreme only changes damage and HP. It's a lazy way to artificially increase difficulty.
3. The actual reason it's easy is because of ease of kiting and generous frame windows. Difficulty settings address neither issue.
4. Do you even Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja difficulty, scrub?

Maybe you could explain why you think it's hard, beyond enemies doing slightly more damage.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
32 hours in, 39 level ups, Síora colonised and I'm done. With the best possible ending it seems.

Hey, remember what I wrote on 10th of September?

retardo cousin-governor (who will totally not fuck our colony up and game absolutely won't present us with a dilemma ensuing from that, but I digress).

Oh boys wasn’t I right was I, what a complete shock, who could have predicted that.
Okay, on a lil’ more serious note,
I didn’t expect that I’ll be correct to such a degree, that is our retardo cousin fucking up not only our colony but the whole world in by the way manner.

I’ll have some more things to share ‘bout this game later, perhaps, and will share them if I’ll feel like sperging around. To summarise my thoughts: it’s this worse kind of a mediocre game. What really kills it are copy-pasty design, backtracking (it gets worse as you progress through the main plot) and bad writing. There are some legitimately good things ‘bout the narrative. Like Mr Avellone said main story is a story of the main character, companions are in some cases directly connected with De Retardet (Petrus, Kurt), rest can easily become very attached.
Constantin as a main antagonist works surprisingly fine, what kills him and the tension by the way is rushed plot development.
Considering I did everything to be done in this game I think it could have taken like good 25 hours if not for backtracking. That’s bad design choices, I would much prefer these additional hours put into plot and character development.

EDIT: And what in a major way influenced my enjoyment, or lack thereof, was game strong-arming me to play a stupid person. Really, De Retardet is just senile at times, plot would have moved in a completely different directions if he would have been at least at a teenager level of cognition.

EDIT2: After going through whole of the plot I now firmly state that
coup attempt by Coin Guard
is the story's weakest link.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
This ain't even mediocre, it's a bad "rpg", it didn't make me wanna replay it after beating it. First third was fun enough, second third is meh; you stop caring and to finish the last third you need a powerful OCD kicking in...even tho I would have just quit but had internet problems, passed the time in the game instead.

It was mindless enough to cheeze through without thinking too much, like a ubisoft akshun game people can play it for however long and it could still be bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom