Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This ain't even mediocre, it's a bad "rpg"
Okay, people need to calm the fuck down with edginess. This game is better than DA:I, ME3 and many other turds (not to mention F4 or other gems of this pile of shit), thanks also to somewhat ambitious and unique setting, construction of the narrative and so on. It drags a lot, it sucks in many respects (it's in basics a tight drama centered around a couple of characters which was without a reason blown too much), yes. But it's not "bad". Such deflation of terms is almost as bad as age of decline in which we live in, it's an overreaction.

To put in another way - it's s game from a medium shelf. It's not bad, it's not good, but 'cause of the context people will tend to either praise it too much or hate it too much. We don't get such mediocrity enough anymore it seems.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a mediocre game and a bad rpg. 99% of the dialogue is non-interactive, player agency is almost non-existent. DAI was better "rpg" than this.
I can see reason behind such a statement. As I've said many times, my experience was that De Retardet had no true agency. He had some choices to make, but no character to build around them, i.e. player didn't, 'cause character was already there. It's like a more extreme version of Geralt from Witchers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i've failed my perception check - elemental trap provides armor destruction. First 2 nodes in a tree are all you need.
Now I also got access to dynamite - with armor quickly removed Im able to crush enemies easily.

qq: anyone found use for roll skill? It appears you can only roll backwards and as such its usefulness appears to be limited? Wonder what Im missing in here
Ahhh no,you could roll any sides...if we are talking about the same skill tho. You have to dabble tab the shift to roll,i found it very useful against boss fights or when i want to roll forward and get behind the enemy for bonus damage. Also a must skill that noticed is the healing,it is maybe the best skill in the whole game.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Honeymoon is over.

Extremely over for me. Like a couple of others I threw in the towel before completion. I'm probably about 2/3rds of the way through and the backtracking or simply running from point A to point B over a long distance to advance the quest a few lines of dialog is fucking tedious. It starts off very tolerable and rapidly rises to intolerable as you get deeper in the plot. I --hate-- artificial extension of play time through poor design mechanics or purposeful padding. I may or may not come back and finish it later.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Honeymoon is over.

Extremely over for me. Like a couple of others I threw in the towel before completion. I'm probably about 2/3rds of the way through and the backtracking or simply running from point A to point B over a long distance to advance the quest a few lines of dialog is fucking tedious. It starts off very tolerable and rapidly rises to intolerable as you get deeper in the plot. I --hate-- artificial extension of play time through poor design mechanics or purposeful padding. I may or may not come back and finish it later.
sounds like technomancer... expecially with respawning enemies

yeah, welcome to technomancer 2016

condolences if you wasted money on this shit

Honeymoon is over.

only rusty_shackleford and fantadomat are still strong shilling for the game

GentlemanCthulhu is busy trolling AoD fanbois

felipepepe has shit taste on rpgs despite all his knowledge of them

Jinn supports all rpgs despite of quality

lukaszek defies categorization like a gender-fluid person would

overall a nice bunch of lost souls

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was on a fence for buying this game, but luckily I remembered wise words that, it looks like, saved me from making a big mistake.

EYZb0lk.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Jinn supports all rpgs despite of quality

Not quite, but am largely forgiving of their often times numerous faults in a lot of cases. There are many situations where I won't touch an RPG because I can tell it's garbage right from the get go, or will give it a shot and drop it in disgust shortly after. Often times if I express a soft spot for a clearly greatly flawed RPG such as Greedfall, it's because I have a respect for the well-conveyed good intentions of the developers. There's a certain humanity involved there that will endear me to games with big problems.

Either way, you could have been a lot more mean with that call-out, but were actually pretty nice with your wording, so thanks for that toro :love:

Funnily enough, Greedfall has been reminding me a lot more of Insomnia: The Ark the further I get into it in terms of gameplay, which was a game we both were rooting for but ultimately ended up dissapointed with in the end.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Finished it yesterday and I still think it's worth playing. No one is saying that the game is the best RPG ever or a new classic, but it's a solid game and the best RPG we got so far this year.

The first area is amazing and the game could have been a new classic indeed IF they keep that standard. Sadly, they didn't, you have very few role-playing options apart from a few key decisions, and sometimes it feels really bad that you can't just attack someone or tell them to fuck off. But the game still delivers a nice balance of story, exploration and combat. Combat feels satisfying, quests never feel MMO-like and the side-quests blend well into the main quest, telling separate stories that add more details to the main story.

Yes, the ending gets tedious with a lot of backtracking, but a lot of it is optional. You can run from basically all trash mobs if you want, and the story plays out differently if you skip secondary objectives or side-quests, so I still don't get people rushing to play 40 hours in a single week doing a completionist playthrough and then complaining that they are burned out. I want to replay the game in the future doing just the mandatory quests, you can probably finish it in like 10 hours and get a very different story.

Overall, I think it fits well among B-Tier Eurojank like Divine Divinity or Drakensang: River of Time, and I definitely prefer it to stuff like Might & Magic X, Tyranny, Gothic 3 or Dragon Age 2.

Also, all those journos going "you can't push back against colonization" are idiots, I helped put a warlord in charge of the island and send all colonizers back to the continent to die from the plague.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
only rusty_shackleford and fantadomat are still strong shilling for the game
Clearly we are the only ones with impeccable taste!
:excellent:

It is amazing how your are still butthurt about a game you never played. Did the french steal your favourite goat or something? Fuck,what a grudge,even i moved on to shitting on vogel's new abomination.....that gave me nightmares......ohhhh the horrors.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Overall, I think it fits well among B-Tier Eurojank like Divine Divinity or Drakensang: River of Time, and I definitely prefer it to stuff like Might & Magic X, Tyranny, Gothic 3 or Dragon Age 2.

I count M&M X higher, but Gothic 3 and DA2 are definitely much worse

purpleblob

Savant
No one is saying that the game is the best RPG ever or a new classic

Have you been to Watch lately?

the best RPG we got so far this year.

I suspect this is certainly affecting people's judgement... Haven't had anything vaguely interesting this year till Greedfall.

The first area is amazing and the game could have been a new classic indeed IF they keep that standard. Sadly, they didn't, you have very few role-playing options apart from a few key decisions, and sometimes it feels really bad that you can't just attack someone or tell them to fuck off. But the game still delivers a nice balance of story, exploration and combat. Combat feels satisfying, quests never feel MMO-like and the side-quests blend well into the main quest, telling separate stories that add more details to the main story.

I've been hearing these kind of comment from more reasonable people and plan to play the game once it hits bargain bin since someone created the mod (shame on you, devs) to fix the camera/reduce motion sickness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom