Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
elex is better. just get that. PB has mastered the art of eurojank

Silverfish

Arbiter
Elex, and it's not even close.. especially if you consider exploration an important aspect.

I don't wanna derail too much, but having not played Elex, what's the exploration like? Greedfall's "open world, but divided into bite-size zones with loading screens" has left me a little gun shy.

soulburner

Cipher
I'm playing Elex right now and I'm enjoying it much more than I expected. It's open world, the map is pretty big and the locations are quite diverse. The graphics are also pleasant for the eye. If you played Gothic or Risen you should know what to expect in regards to how combat and leveling works, but most of all - how much of a wuss the player character is. Running away from insta-killing enemies and returning to them after levelling once or twice is very satisfying :) There are no loading screens except for the initial one, even when using fast travel - you only have to wait about 2 seconds before the game puts you in the new area.

Greedfall is next on my list - played a few minutes of it but The Outer Worlds was released the next day or something and I left that one for later. I beat TOW and found by accident that I had Elex installed and just wanted to see how it runs on my laptop... and can't stop now ;)

To further derail this thread: I did not play Risen 2 and 3 (really liked the first one, though), are these games really that bad as they say around here or should I give them a chance if I feel like I've not enough of Piranha Bytes' kind of games after I finish Elex?

JDR13

Arcane
Elex, and it's not even close.. especially if you consider exploration an important aspect.

I don't wanna derail too much, but having not played Elex, what's the exploration like? Greedfall's "open world, but divided into bite-size zones with loading screens" has left me a little gun shy.

Elex is legit open-world in classic Piranha Bytes style. There are tons of places and things to discover. If you've ever played Gothic 1 & 2 or Risen you'll have an idea of what the world is like from a design perspective.

Greedfall is just a bunch of large corridors that tries to give the illusion of open-world. There's little meaningful exploration because NPCs and items only spawn after you've activated the quests they're associated with.

JDR13

Arcane
To further derail this thread: I did not play Risen 2 and 3 (really liked the first one, though), are these games really that bad as they say around here or should I give them a chance if I feel like I've not enough of Piranha Bytes' kind of games after I finish Elex?

They're not bad, but they might feel kind of shallow after playing Elex. Definitely play them if you're ever in the mood for a Caribbean style setting. Risen 2 has a strong pirates vibe, while Risen 3 tries to go back to more of a dark fantasy setting while still keeping pirates in the game.

I wouldn't try playing them back to back though. They're too similar, and Risen 3 by itself is too damn long imo.

Silverfish

Arbiter
There are no loading screens except for the initial one, even when using fast travel - you only have to wait about 2 seconds before the game puts you in the new area.

Music to my freaking ears, man. I remember "fast travel" in Fallout 4 where I didn't even bother unless I had a book or a magazine nearby.

Elex is legit open-world in classic Piranha Bytes style. There are tons of places and things to discover. If you've ever played Gothic 1 & 2 or Risen you'll have an idea of what the world is like from a design perspective.

Greedfall is just a bunch of large corridors that tries to give the illusion of open-world. There's little meaningful exploration because NPCs and items only spawn after you've activated the quests they're associated with.

If the world design is like Risen, I'm down.

Also, the corridor stuff in Greedfall makes no sense. It was no big deal in Technomancer. They even conjured up a damn good in-story reason for forgoing an open world setup. But Greedfall's mysterious and untapped new world setting seems custom made for open exploration. I'm not one to defend the Ubisoft formula, but damn.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Corridor design was so limiting in Greedfall, that playing The Outer Worlds seemed like breath of fresh air. You see a hill? 99% of time you will be able to climb it. You want to check this canyon? No invisible wall will stop you.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The problem with Greedfall isn't the zones, or even the room/hallway/room design. It's that there's nothing fucking interesting to find.

purpleblob

Savant
I finished the game after 32 hours. I feel rather disappointed and indeed think its rather a mediocre game. The beginning area was good then when you arrive in the new island it started to get boring until you hit the mid-game with two big revelations (which you could see from miles away) + another rather unexpected event. Then the story turns weird near the end game and it was all downhill from there.

And god, I'm so sick of backtracking and railroading. It was alright for 1 playthrough but I don't think I will ever play this again.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I want a game where I can play Bhaal God and parade around destroying everything and making everyone bend the knee. I don't think I can do that in Elex, can I? :smug:

I can probably do that in Greedfall, for what I've heard, but then again everything else about the game besides GODMODE, BITCHES will suck.

cruel

Cipher
Bought this game on recent sale. Serene was OK, New Serene was decent, but after that... is it me, or exploration in this game sucks balls totally and has no sense? What was the point of creating all those empty, lifeless regions, filled with nothing or crappy loot you don't care about? Should I just stick to main quest and that's it?

It bugs me, how is it possible, that we got Gothic in 2001 and 18 years later (!) games are REGRESSING compared to what Gothic was able to accomplish.

Delterius

Arcane
Bought this game on recent sale. Serene was OK, New Serene was decent, but after that... is it me, or exploration in this game sucks balls totally and has no sense? What was the point of creating all those empty, lifeless regions, filled with nothing or crappy loot you don't care about? Should I just stick to main quest and that's it?

It bugs me, how is it possible, that we got Gothic in 2001 and 18 years later (!) games are REGRESSING compared to what Gothic was able to accomplish.
its not like gothic's sequels were neverending incline now was it

never nurture hope

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yep, that and the lack of real faction decisions are what makes me say it's a meh game. Nice open areas with that Oregon colonial feel but the only thing to do in them is kill bears and pick up randomized loot. Even the quest locations are barren until you get the quest somewhere else.

cruel

Cipher
Yeah, I noticed that. You can spent some time exploring and finally hit a fake wall, while it's obvious (on the map) there is something more hidden there. Why give a player a freedom of choice in exploration, if this freedom leads to total boredom? Stupid.

What's also interesting - they had all the assets in place already (engine, character models, clothes, etc.). It was only a matter of putting some random people with random bears in few places and writing some quests / dialog. It doesn't even seem that hard :| Either they run out of money too soon, or just bad game design.

JDR13

Arcane

They were a hell of a lot better than Greedfall in those aspects.

Delterius

Arcane

this is the typical PB lobby cope mentality

my child

you must learn to let go

let go and be free

JDR13

Arcane

my child

you must learn to let go

let go and be free

What a compelling argument. :)

Delterius

Arcane

my child

you must learn to let go

let go and be free

What a compelling argument. :)
:)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So i just finished GreedFall after playing it for ~8 days (not sure how many hours though but i played several of them each day). I think that overall it is Spiders' best game so far (though i liked Technomancer's setting a bit more - and i haven't played Bound by Flame... so i'm basically comparing GreedFall only to Technomancer and Mars: War Logs :-P).

I think this is going to be a theme with these games for me, but like the other games of theirs i played, it took me several hours until i got interested in the world, but after that i got into it. Their writing is far from perfect (and in a few cases the level designers forgot to talk with the writers :-P) but something i like in their games is that they are having interesting concepts for their worlds.

I do not think the combat was anything special but i did like the armor and health separation, at least in the first levels. But i think armor should have protected much more than it did though. Initially i had to switch between a heavy weapon that destroyed enemies' armor and a "normal" weapon for after the armor had been destroyed, so i had to look for replacement and upgrades for both weapons and keep them in mind in combat, but after a few levels i could do so much damage that armor didn't matter much. I guess it makes more sense this way from a realism perspective, but from a gameplay perspective it meant that after a while i just ignored the second weapon. Perhaps the reason they didn't make the armor stronger was because it didn't seem like the AI (both enemies and friendlies) knew how to target armor :-P.

My biggest issue with the game was on the map/level design itself: there was too much empty space and too many forest maps with basically nothing to do. Honestly, i'd prefer it if it was more like their earlier titles with just the interesting areas and nothing extra (well ok, Noctis was a bit annoying), but as it was there was too much running around. The game is mainly story driven anyway and there aren't any systems outside of combat, so the faux-open world does more harm than good. But i guess open world games are still popular (though the world is anything but open - most of it can only be visited after specific quests are reached and quests are more or less railroaded - in fact the dialog can sound a bit comical in some cases if you do things way later than expected).

But despite the negatives i mentioned, i had fun with the game. I don't know if i'd recommend it to anyone though, IMO it is a hard game to do that because your enjoyment will depend *greatly* on how much you can overlook the issues in the details for the things that it gets right in the broad strokes (well, assuming you like those broad strokes in the first place :-P).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom