Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GRID 2019

Funposter

Arcane
You remind of one guy I saw complaining about car handling in TC2 being "too hard" after he turned off all the assists. After he got told to either get good or turn on the assists he replied that he should be able to play how he wants, without assists, and the game should be dumbed down to his level instead.

You're doing the exact same thing, except in reverse.

The arguments about racing line being visualized and the arguments about the handling model are too separate arguments. I despise that ideal racing line shit in any game. The argument about the handling model (that being, in favor of cars handling the way they did in the original GRID) is one based on that being a really fun game, and the cars having a particular sense of weight that was unique to it. Nothing was ever too tail happy, but at the same time, you could go into corners at absurd speeds and often it would just somehow work out, as if by magic. It was like every car in the game was an Evo VIII or something. My problem with Autosport (and by extension this game, which looks like it handles the same way) is that even with Assists off, it's actually pretty easy, and so the whole thing feels half-baked. It's not difficult enough to feel like a proper sim, but it's also not carefree enough to entertain the ridiculous high speed battles of the original game. It sits in this bland middle ground.

The original GRID is a fantastic game with a really underrated sense of personality, aided by its soundtrack (only ever really heard in Head to Heads with Ravenwest), the attention given to togue and drifiting (which are actually fun thanks to the way the cars handle), and a few original tracks that are pretty well designed. What reason is there to play GRID 2019? I may as well just hook up my PS2 and play Gran Turismo 3 again.

Gerrard

Arcane
You remind of one guy I saw complaining about car handling in TC2 being "too hard" after he turned off all the assists. After he got told to either get good or turn on the assists he replied that he should be able to play how he wants, without assists, and the game should be dumbed down to his level instead.

You're doing the exact same thing, except in reverse.

The arguments about racing line being visualized and the arguments about the handling model are too separate arguments.
The racing line is a form of assist.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

Game is wicked fun to play when on track. Career is dissapointingly just a bunch of races and stuff, not much to think about or manage.
They tell me content is really low, I wouldn't know yet. Still, the handling model is excellent. Best Arcade Racer I've plated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom