Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Diablo is better. Diablo 2 is kind of shit, and features a bad character system. Thanks to it, skill threes have plagued rpgs for a long time.

Don't know what to say to that. Apart from having a more focused experience, D2 does every single thing D1 did (and far more, besides), but better. I have never - at any point - wanted to go back to D1 after D2 came out.

Games like Dins curse

Please do not tell me you think that this is a better game than GD. Clunkfest 5000, with a gimmick that outwears its welcome in the first ten hours. The last game I bought from those people was Drox Operative, which was essentially the same thing in space.

an actual interesting story with good writan, and a whole bunch of other things that GD simply lacks.

Why, did you think that D1 had a 'interesting story with good writing'? Or Din's Curse? Again, who plays this genre for story?

Muh advancement. Newer games are always better eh!

Not at all - but this one is. Why strawman? In what way is GD not technically more advanced than TQ?

Who gives a shit if the gameplay is garbage, and brother, the gameplay here is garbage. Victor Vran, the dead Marvel heroes, diablo 2, even path of exile and a bunch of other titles feature a much better game feel.

I mean, that's laughable, and I've played all of the above. Victor Vran is a glorified stick shooter, Marvel Heroes was completely mindless (and fun, but mindless, nonetheless - the itemization in that game was utter garbage) and PoE is fine, but a live service game, which has benefited enormously from its business model and almost a decade of iteration. And if GD's gameplay is bad, how do you see PoE being better, exactly? It plays even faster and a successful build is - for all intents and purposes - a blender, where the only skill element is juggling potions. Or, in the case of its most successful build of the previous season, literally walk around doing nothing while your minion horde kills everything from a screen away.

Go play underrail if you want to sperg about builds, it is much better in every conceivable way. Not that its the only one, there are hundreds of games with better, more interesting character building.

Go read a book if you want an interesting story. That's about as good a piece of advice as you just gave me. 'LOL, go play a completely different genre to get your ARPG fix, bro'.

I saw none of that. But i only played like 12 hours of this shit. Show me something cool.

What's not cool about a post-apocalyptic scenario in which Lovecraft's Old Ones battle an eldritch invasion of alien entities, whilst a clutch of native gods scrap to keep what they have? And then there's you - a member of a ragged band of survivors - caught in the middle. That's about as much effort as I'm willing to go to in order to convince you that the setting is a good one.

You mean cool modifiers? Like what? Do you have skills from other classes available?

There are proc/item skills aplenty, if that's your thing. There are also skill modifiers, which fundamentally change a mastery skill. They can change damage type, range, area of effect, function, VFX... pretty much everything about the skill.

Krivol

Magister
I also found TQ more interesting - mithological world is kinda cool and enviroments are much more variable (never tried dlcs for GD so I don't know if they fixed this but I felt like running the same floor all the time).

Citizen

I also kinda prefer TQ's visuals and setting, but that's mostly because when it came out it was basically my dream game. I was really into the ancient mythology and other legends of the world (idk why, but as a kid the idea that you can read a tale that was written 3000 years ago was mind-blowing).

So when I went to the store and saw a game where I can not only meet the characters from the books I was obsessed with, but also beat the shit out of them with a kopis, I was immediately sold

Still, GD's gameplay is so much better that I find it hard to return to TQ

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
One thing that Diablo did much better than any other game in the genre, Diablo 2 definitely included, is the length. These games are based on the idea of multiple playthroughs, but most players will not manage that with games being too drawn out and as such will not see the actual content. Diablo was just fine, pretty much every other hns is to long for its own good.

Also, provided that you turn the veteran option on, the claim that TQ is more difficult than GD is utter bs (without it I dunno). There was a point where nu-TQ was difficult to the point of being broken for certain bosses, but that was around release and has long been patched now. On higher difficulties this would probably devolve into sperg discussion based on items and build, but it's sort of a moot point, since vast majority of players won't even go through TQ normal.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lone Wolf this has devolved into a quote chain that nobody is going to read. So ill tell you why i dont like GD, its a dull and grey game with absolutely nothing worth exploring. You are saying that character building is its saving grace, and im saying that math isnt interesting or engaging on any level.
Every other game ive mentioned had something else going on for itself, something to set it appart, that made it fun. Grimdawn has nothing, it is a joyless experience.
If calculating dps and balancing with it defense is why you play games, then ok, ill grant you that GD does the job adequately. But dont be surprised when anyone looking for a game to have fun thinks this isnt very good.

RuySan

Augur
Some times it's absolutely exhausting to read some threads on rpgcodex due to the childish fanboyism. GD is good for what it is, not perfect. PoE has better skill and character system, D3 has better animations, D2 has better balance and pace, TQ is more colourful. But for me it's better than the sum of it's parts. I like the level design, at least due to the fact that is not random, doesn't feel throwaway. There's some underpasses, and canyons and stuff. There's the nice roguelike dungeons and I love that it supports gamepads.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You mention low difficulty as a factor in why TQ is a better game. I challenge you to play Ultimate Malmouth or - God help you - Crucible with anything less than 2,500DA and 80%+ resistances across the board. Normal is absolutely straightforward to blow through, but that's an intentional step-up to Elite and, particularly, Ultimate, where characters that feel OP in Normal go to die. The developers also made it possible to skip entire sections of the game (f.e. you can skip Act I in Elite/Ultimate, if you want, or even start the game on Ultimate) once you think your character can burn through content to the next difficulty level.

Yes, yes. I'm aware of all of the token crap from Forgotten Gods that allow you to skip difficulty levels. Guess what? It doesn't make the game any harder. The negative resistance penalty is a non-problem since if you're using tokens then it's implied that you're also using writs that will boost your rep gain and allow you to buy res augs to shore up your defenses pretty fast. And if you don't use rep boosters then I guess you could spend extra time grinding, but that's not adding to the difficulty, just to the tedium of the game where you're expected to grind WoW-esque rep for almost every faction with every char.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd say roguelikes outside of the Steps of Torment, the high Crucible waves, and the high Shattered Realm shards are plenty difficult. Diablo 2 has never offered anything like this for example. Path of Exile is a joke tbh, I've seen some high level gameplay and it looks like a blender.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Diablo 2 didn't need to have something like that, because the main campaign was plenty challenging by itself. Some of the new rune words that they introduced made Nightmare a lot easier to manage, but Hell is still a trial by fire. An infinitely scaling arena / horde mode is probably the least interesting gameplay concept I could think of, especially since they always favor high burst damage metas and fuck over more defensively oriented builds.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Guess what? It doesn't make the game any harder.

There's no objective way to argue that Normal = Ultimate in difficulty. I just can't understand that line of reasoning, at all.

The negative resistance penalty is a non-problem since if you're using tokens then it's implied that you're also using writs that will boost your rep gain and allow you to buy res augs to shore up your defenses pretty fast.

If by 'pretty damn fast' you mean roughly two thirds of the way through the entire game (base + expansions), sure. But augments don't get you to 80% resistance on Ult. Let's be clear: having 70% resistance on Ult means you're still looking at being 1-2 shot by a slew of enemies. You max resistances just to give yourself a chance to react. You need to mitigate crits (DA), you need life sustain, you need armour absorption, get out of jail free cards... There's lots of content on Ult that you will only survive with proper end-game characters. Go in under-geared and the deaths (and frustration) will stack up.

Krivol

Magister
One thing that Diablo did much better than any other game in the genre, Diablo 2 definitely included, is the length. These games are based on the idea of multiple playthroughs, but most players will not manage that with games being too drawn out and as such will not see the actual content. Diablo was just fine, pretty much every other hns is to long for its own good.

Also, provided that you turn the veteran option on, the claim that TQ is more difficult than GD is utter bs (without it I dunno). There was a point where nu-TQ was difficult to the point of being broken for certain bosses, but that was around release and has long been patched now. On higher difficulties this would probably devolve into sperg discussion based on items and build, but it's sort of a moot point, since vast majority of players won't even go through TQ normal.

True - I was able to finish Diablo 1 few times, even with 1 character, since D2 HnS games are getting boring on some point.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Whether GD is bloated and too long is debatable. You can rush through a difficulty in around 2-3 hours, that's what I did with my Reaper character on Elite. What I actually suggest doing is buying a token for Elite for a lvl 1 character, going through Elite normally instead of on normal/veteran, and then go onto Ultimate. Here's the thing with GD, nobody is forcing you to go through any type of content. Your character build is not viable for high level SR/Crucible? Play through the roguelike dungeons! Not viable even for them? Play the campaign and try to kill the superbosses! Don't compare every build with each other, I certainly didn't do that. I made my Ritualist the way I thought would be cool to play and I'm perfectly aware that without switching over from vitality to aether damage (or they introduce aether -> vitality transmutes) I wouldn't be able to get past maybe 120 Crucible at best, but that's ok. I have other characters for that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The fact that you can speedrun through games is a non-argument when discussing whether they're too long or too short, same as using cheats or uninstall.exe mod.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not a speedrun, it's simply the time it takes to unlock a difficulty if that is your intention. Everything else is technically optional.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I absolutely love the lore and setting of this game, the way it's doled out in obscure notes here and there, and that sort of thing. The atmosphere is quite special, at least in the first few Acts (later on it gets a bit fantasy-melange, but in the first few acts it feels like a real, coherent, idiosyncratic fantasy world that's suffered an awful catastrophe).

But I have a low tolerance for ARPG gameplay. I want to try out the different classes and gameplay styles, but in order to do that orthodoxly I'd have to play through the same content so many times that I'd probably be in the bachroom hanging myself by the end of it.

So to try out different characters I've cheated extensively and tried out a bunch of different builds at a middling level. Now I have a couple of characters on the go that I love the playstyle of, just ambling through the game dipping into it now and then. It's a great game for that.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just started playing with 3 other guys. It's basically our new "talk shit for an hour or two while mindlessly slaughtering everything on screen" game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, i know that i ranted about cooldowns, but i an seriously can't enjoy GD necromancer due it. I an fine with reagents to raise skeletons, i an fine with casting time, but after each unique mob, i have to wait half of minute to have 10 skeletons due this boring artificial times and it ****. I've tested some mods which adds diablo 2 necro, but they still have cooldowns(Diablo 2 had no cooldowns in any necro skill). Anyone knows a mod which adds necromancer without boring cooldowns?

The main reason that i've stopped with Belzebub mod for D1 is also CDs. Skeleton already costs live, if you spam raise skeleton, you will gonna die. Why put a cooldown on it? Only to make me waste time?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Guys, i know that i ranted about cooldowns, but i an seriously can't enjoy GD necromancer due it. I an fine with reagents to raise skeletons, i an fine with casting time, but after each unique mob, i have to wait half of minute to have 10 skeletons due this boring artificial times and it ****. I've tested some mods which adds diablo 2 necro, but they still have cooldowns(Diablo 2 had no cooldowns in any necro skill). Anyone knows a mod which adds necromancer without boring cooldowns?

The main reason that i've stopped with Belzebub mod for D1 is also CDs. Skeleton already costs live, if you spam raise skeleton, you will gonna die. Why put a cooldown on it? Only to make me waste time?
What level are you? I've finished base game and malmouth on normal and this has been a non-issue. Out of dozens and dozens of bosses, only like, 5 have managed to wipe my minions out. And I can summon 5 at a time now with a cooldown of like 10 seconds. If it had a 10 second cast time instead I'd need to wait 10 seconds every time I lose a skeleton and want to top the party off, your complaint is retarded. To answer your question though: PoE has no cooldowns and lets you spam weak skeletons. Nobody uses them last I checked though, other summons are far superior. Zombies get used as a meatshield though and you can do some cool stuff with spectres.

I just started playing with 3 other guys. It's basically our new "talk shit for an hour or two while mindlessly slaughtering everything on screen" game.
I've been doing the same thing with only 2 other people (and one never shows up) and while I got excited for a bit early on when I found out the devotions could trigger from more stuff than I realized, I'm already bored of GD again and haven't even finished the first difficulty. All the skills are just so fucking boring. Like sure, there's 100 skills or whatever, but 10 of those are just 'move fast to enemy you click on and deal weapon damage.' I don't really give a fuck that one moves slightly faster while another can deal shield damage or a bit of knockback. (Ok I care about the knockback insofar as the knockback is a crippling flaw that makes the skill shit by scattering enemies outside my range. But it's still boring as fuck.) I miss the cool skills PoE has, so much more variety, even before you start modifying them with support gems. And the devotions are just shit that triggers on hit and you really can't make much use of 90% of them anyways. Anything that triggers on crit or at a low rate or has a low cooldown is useless without something that spams 10 hits per second for example, all the retalition/block stuff is pretty crap since when you die you get basically one shot generally, anything that will tickle you long enough to trigger something will die to accidental AoE damage from your gear anyways.

Citizen

Recommend me some fun builds, codex. I already played as shaman+arcanist primal striker (most chad build in the game IMO) and inquisitor+demo (kinda gay ranged twink). No pets plz

Lacrymas

Arcane
Recommend me some fun builds, codex. I already played as shaman+arcanist primal striker (most chad build in the game IMO) and inquisitor+demo (kinda gay ranged twink). No pets plz
Necro + Shaman focused on totems and drain essence. The trap is going vitality damage, you have to get vitality to aether conversion and stack +aether damage because drain essence does aether damage. It's your main damage source (totems also do quite good damage even with a vitality build but it's nowhere near what aether can do). Unless they've added legendary aether to vitality conversion items recently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom